Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Google Earth (phone app) has finally updated their 3-D mode. City looks so dense now. Stonewall transformation is incredible as we all know. Other notables finally updated in the app, 300 and Kimpton, first ward park, Levine deck, circa, sky houses, most of the new hotels. Looking at an updated vantage point from above, still a lot of developable parking lots. 

• Like 3

I was in a 6.4 earthquake in LA years ago. Our apartment building was in a square and the pool was in the central courtyard. Later that day and a day or so after there were after shocks and I could look from my second story room and see the pool start to create waves even without feeling the earth movement myself. The pool waves grew to 2-3 feet high and splashed all around. Someone said it is exactly how the earth and soil move though not so visible as with water.

It was one of the main reasons I left Los Angeles; fire, mudslide, earthquake, smog, it was just too much for this simple boy.,

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Google Earth (phone app) has finally updated their 3-D mode. City looks so dense now. Stonewall transformation is incredible as we all know. Other notables finally updated in the app, 300 and Kimpton, first ward park, Levine deck, circa, sky houses, most of the new hotels. Looking at an updated vantage point from above, still a lot of developable parking lots. 

It's about time they did. And sadly it's already pretty outdated right off the bat with this update. Smh

• Like 1

For those that don't watch Jeopardy, the current champion, James Holzhauer, may be the best player of all-time.  He is second on the all-time regular play winnings list, behind Ken Jennings, while averaging over double Ken's average single game winnings during his run.  He plays a high-risk/high-reward style and backs it up with a wide range and depth of knowledge with insane clicker timing and recall speed.  He currently holds the top seven single-game winnings records.  He is also fun to watch and my favorite champion since Austin Rogers.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html

• Like 4

10 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I was never a Billy Graham fan as I felt he led from behind on civil rights. Still I felt he was a decent man.

But, his son is a piece of crap: The Washington Post: Franklin Graham believes Pete Buttigieg’s marriage is sinful. But most Christians disagree..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/04/25/franklin-graham-believes-pete-buttigiegs-marriage-is-sinful-most-christians-disagree/

I wonder what this does to his father's legacy. Soon a progressive city would wipe the Graham names from the roads and signage. It's personally an embarrassment to see that as you leave the airport. My extended family laughs and rolls their eyes.

How much does he make in a year anyhow???

You do know that Billy Graham taught that homosexuality was a sin, don’t you ? Never mind homosexuals getting married. 

And since you referenced civil rights, never mind Graham, MLK Jr felt uncomfortable with homosexuals. 

Franklin, he probably couldn’t resist getting a shot in, what with Mayor Pete taking target practice on VP Pence.

BTW, My problem with Franklin Graham is that he is not as circumspect, as was his father, about making alliances with political parties and cultural trends. What kind of moral weight do they carry in any case ?

Dale, This is just one example of Graham's intolerance.

Plus times have changed from the 60's. 

I'm not sure what moral weight he carries. I assumed a lot in the South. Is that wrong?

Regarding Pence I'm sure you know what he did in Indiana and that he stood very little chance of reelection as a result. I don't think it's hard to find people from Indiana who will take shots at him. Gay or not.

There is no need to continue this thread. I really just wanted to point out there will eventually be a push to scrub our city clean of the Graham name. Because of the man's son. Kind of a sad story.

2 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Dale, This is just one example of Graham's intolerance.

Plus times have changed from the 60's. 

I'm not sure what moral weight he carries. I assumed a lot in the South. Is that wrong?

Regarding Pence I'm sure you know what he did in Indiana and that he stood very little chance of reelection as a result. I don't think it's hard to find people from Indiana who will take shots at him. Gay or not.

There is no need to continue this thread. I really just wanted to point out there will eventually be a push to scrub our city clean of the Graham name. Because of the man's son. Kind of a sad story.

What did Pence do in Indiana but to water down a religious freedom bill after first pushback ? 

Look, if you’re going to strike Billy from history, seems like you need to go after Martin too. Reportedly, the day before he was assasinated, he had sex with three women not his wife, physically assaulting one of them.

And if we can’t talk about things like this here, where can we talk about them ? 

You can read up on Pence it you like. Try NPR or politico. Suffice it to say that even in a red state like Indiana he was over the top. As I recall he had little chance of being reelected.

I'm not advocating striking Billy from our history, that's impossible. I'm saying it may become untenable to honor the name with roads and library boosting. Akin to removing civil war statues.

I've started a thread before to discuss political items. The idea was to clean it out of other places and not annoy people who just want to come here for development information. It got out of control and was quickly shut down and my queries as to why were ignored. I'm done with that. Give it a try. Go read the one I started first though. Somehow I became an anti sematic in someones fertile imagination. :-\ It was kinda scary.

Not going to engage on MLK other than to observe no man is perfect. He was under incredible pressure (Hoover, etc) yet accomplished so much good. He is an American hero.

BTW, you didn't answer my question on moral authority. It's a serious question as I try to ignore these people. Aren't people like F. Graham and Falwell considered moral leaders in the South?

7 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

For those that don't watch Jeopardy, the current champion, James Holzhauer, may be the best player of all-time.  He is second on the all-time regular play winnings list, behind Ken Jennings, while averaging over double Ken's average single game winnings during his run.  He plays a high-risk/high-reward style and backs it up with a wide range and depth of knowledge with insane clicker timing and recall speed.  He currently holds the top seven single-game winnings records.  He is also fun to watch and my favorite champion since Austin Rogers.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html

I've seen most of them. He has amazing recall and timing. His ability to wager aggressively is what's most interesting. I've always felt most people had no idea how to bet on that show. 

Could he beat Watson?

Off topic:

BTW, I feel so old watching that show. Obviously the demographics are quite old. Every damn add is drugs! Way off topic now but it drives me crazy part of the price we pay for drugs is marketing. It just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

You can read up on Pence it you like. Try NPR or politico. Suffice it to say that even in a red state like Indiana he was over the top. As I recall he had little chance of being reelected.

I'm not advocating striking Billy from our history, that's impossible. I'm saying it may become untenable to honor the name with roads and library boosting. Akin to removing civil war statues.

I've started a thread before to discuss political items. The idea was to clean it out of other places and not annoy people who just want to come here for development information. It got out of control and was quickly shut down and my queries as to why were ignored. I'm done with that. Give it a try. Go read the one I started first though. Somehow I became an anti sematic in someones fertile imagination. :-\ It was kinda scary.

Not going to engage on MLK other than to observe no man is perfect. He was under incredible pressure (Hoover, etc) yet accomplished so much good. He is an American hero.

BTW, you didn't answer my question on moral authority. It's a serious question as I try to ignore these people. Aren't people like F. Graham and Falwell considered moral leaders in the South?

Would Franklin Graham fall under the rubric “no man is perfect” ? As far as I know, he’s not a prodigious philanderer and a woman-abuser. And don’t tell the great many who have benefited from his charities that he isn’t an American hero just because his convictions are found repugnant in some circles.

Of course the likes of Graham and Falwell are moral leaders for some in the South (and elsewhere). But as a Christian, I consider that Christians have lost the culture war. And against the likes of Graham and Falwell, I don’t think it needs the culture.

I think it is more than enough for the church to be the church. To return to its original function as a counter-culture. It doesn’t need to continue to sully itself  with the religion of the age - politics.

As to Pence, I guess he had to go to Washington, DC to get re-elected. Tell you one thing: remember how his “only alone with wife” credo fostered derision in the media ? After the onslaught of #MeToo, seems like he was the smartest guy in the room!

I don't think Graham is close to heroic. When you have that much cash giving some away is nice but compared to giving your life? I hope your just baiting me and not seriously equating the two men.

I'll have to look the finances up it's just my impression he's in it for the $. Betting he just gives away a percentage of what he takes in and skims a healthy amount off the top.

To me Pence fits  the saying even a broken clock is right twice a day.

We are at a bit of a disagreement but so it goes. I appreciate the civil discussion and I learned a few things.

13 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I don't think Graham is close to heroic. When you have that much cash giving some away is nice but compared to giving your life? I hope your just baiting me and not seriously equating the two men.

I'll have to look the finances up it's just my impression he's in it for the $. Betting he just gives away a percentage of what he takes in and skims a healthy amount off the top.

To me Pence fits  the saying even a broken clock is right twice a day.

We are at a bit of a disagreement but so it goes. I appreciate the civil discussion and I learned a few things.

Who doesn’t laud King’s sentiment “by the content of character, not the color of skin” ? ... except the (way too) many who continue to fixate on group identity ...

But I don’t consider a man great because a nutcase took him out.

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Look like a bunch of lifeless office buildings to me?  Is their downtown still dead?

with lots of Georgia State students downtown is coming back but Midtown is where the action is lots of residential office and hotel high rises.  street level there is not any better than Uptown Charlotte's main streets.   Lots of high rise construction in Midtown mainly residential but several office towers too. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Not sure where else to ask this - Is it possible that we can pin renderings of buildings to the top of their thread somehow?

Anytime I want to pull them up I need to go scrolling thru pages and pages to find them.

I guess I could just save local copies....

I think we should have a standard of adding a first page to every topic explaining what it is and a photo.