Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I will be out at Sycamore Brewing tomorrow around lunchtime helping a USO-NC table.  7 area breweries are designating a special beer and donating $1 to the USO-NC in our services to help the active duty troops and those returning home.   Come see me! 

This is at the Portman Hawkins Tower 2 site. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

16 hours ago, Nick2 said:

With 2020 approaching and the RNC being in Charlotte I think we can expect there to be a major influx of trolls on all forums related to Charlotte. Reddit has already seen it occur on posts related to Greta's visit to the climate strike for instance. A good amount of people commenting/trolling on CLT's subreddit that haven't ever posted before in the subreddit.

Is UP ready to combat that or will they allow trolls to exist as long as they're not explicitly breaking UP rules?

Ah, the heralded "I'm not touching you" defense.

• Haha 2

No matter how you cook them, sweet potatoes are a staple Thanksgiving dish! #DidYouKnow that North Carolina is the number one producer of sweet potatoes in the United States? So if you're debating that second slice of sweet potato pie, go ahead and grab one in honor of NC!   from the Twitter 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Next door to Lore Brewing in Ft Mill is "Empire Pizza".....apparently they have 4 locations.  Check out their menu.....what a hot mess.  I can't imagine the amount of money they have tied up in inventory.  Must be working for them, though!

http://www.empirepizzabar.com/menu.php

They have:

• Starters
  • Wings
  • Salads
  • Pizza
  • Calzones and Strombolis
  • Pita Wraps
  • Wraps
  • Chicken Sandwiches
  • Philly Cheesesteaks
  • Signature and Create-your-own Pasta
  • Hot Plates
  • Burgers
  • Quesadillas
  • Desserts
  • Kid's Menu
  • Like 2

I was in Elmwood Cemetery today delivering a poinsettia for a departed birthday. There were 25-30 cars rolling slowly or stopped in the cemetery and I asked one of the people what was up. Augmented Reality games, Pokemon Go and Wizard (Harry Potter) she says, 11-2 today. In Elmwood and a block or so surrounding.

I first thought it was the most confused funeral cortege ever, cars wandering slowly, random turns, stopped mid-drive, looking at a phone. 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I was in Elmwood Cemetery today delivering a poinsettia for a departed birthday. There were 25-30 cars rolling slowly or stopped in the cemetery and I asked one of the people what was up. Augmented Reality games, Pokemon Go and Wizard (Harry Potter) she says, 11-2 today. In Elmwood and a block or so surrounding.

I first thought it was the most confused funeral cortege ever, cars wandering slowly, random turns, stopped mid-drive, looking at a phone. 

Omg. Elm wood cemetery is sooo popular for Pokémon Go. I honestly even go visit Charlotte mostly for Elmwood :p 

The operators know it and a city official is aware and plays it in elm wood too. There’s a Facebook page where they ask people to be respectful, obey rules, etc and that they will allow Pokémon go. Otherwise, they would easily request Pokémon go to take out all the Pokémon and stops there.

its usually not that busy but you went during a big event called community day. If you were to go to Freedom Park, you would’ve seen the park more full than you’ve ever have :p 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

On another note. It looks like the DC representation is huge here now. The CLT airport page is full of BWI/IAD/DCA post. 

I think DC > Seattle > NYC are where we have the most Charlotte posters from. 

and for the Washingtonians or anyone who cares about cool development. GGWash.org Is the best source for dev. News.  Articles Daily on weekdays. If you haven’t been on here, just look under mass transit or dev archives sections. It’s like. A urban geeks wet dream. (Better than DCist or the others) 

WMATA has a lot of meetings coming up and will be discussing these fantasy maps they created: https://ggwash.org/view/75003/metro-shows-six-fantasy-maps-for-the-blue-and-silver-lines

^ I personally love the core loop. 

also, I’ve been looking at the station designs for the purple like and how it hooks up with silver spring’s redline. I didn’t realize the purple like would be so integrated with the other lines. I thought it’d be like Charlottes gold/blue. Disjointed. 

purple line right above the red: 

sstc%20(9).jpg

plus the big bus station, plus commuter rail station, Capital Trail. Downtown silver spring is nice. Walkable and enjoyable. Parts of the DC region are like. An urban planners dream come true. 

and FYI. I went to crystal city for the first time the other day. The shops at crystal city are amazing. It’s what L’Enfant should be or uptown CLT’s overstreet could be. 

18338_thumbnail-1024.jpg

^ don’t get me wrong. Crystal city sucks hardcore because of it. BUTTT, I love it so much right now on cold days. And it’s pretty cool. But Outside of DC, Pentagon City and now Crystal City basically for the mall and Crystal City Shops are the only reasons I venture out of DC. And occasionally Silver Spring for red lobster (which btw. I do make special trips every now and then to have a chain restaurant like Olive Garden or something :p they’re so good if you go many months without them) 

And one thing I dislike about DC. One development. City Center DC. That place sucks. IMO. I wish those stores could’ve found a place somewhere in Georgetown. Maybe a multi story place at the waterfront. Otherwise :/ it’s such a soulless extremely bland development that could otherwise be great if it wasn’t all Lux brands. The synergy from China town would be great. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

one thing I dislike about DC. One development. City Center DC. That place sucks. IMO.

One and only one good thing about City Center DC is Milk Bar. Crack pie (given an anodyne rename to Milk Bar Pie - people really are too freaking sensitive) is all kinds of delicious goodness. I agree about the rest though. Meh. 

6 hours ago, davidclt said:

One and only one good thing about City Center DC is Milk Bar. Crack pie (given an anodyne rename to Milk Bar Pie - people really are too freaking sensitive) is all kinds of delicious goodness. I agree about the rest though. Meh. 

we got milk  at the wharf. Which is a development/area I do like, though :) 

• Like 1