Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

FWIW, Larry is currently banned from 4th Ward (a judge actually specified streets that he is not allowed to cross) because he had become rather unruly here. He had developed something of a following among the party crowd who were feeding him booze just to watch his antics, and usually ended up getting arrested for public intoxication. On one occasion I witnessed him being arrested on a fireworks charge because his new "friends" left him alone to take the rap for them (when he had only been on the scene a few minutes, and they had been shooting fireworks all night). On another, he had to be removed from the Graham St. sidewalk when he passed out with his head hanging off the curb (i.e., into traffic). Anyway, he was drunk about 75% of the time I saw him, and eventually disappeared altogether. I caught a bulletin about his exile in the 4th Ward newspaper.

I believe he is banned from Harris Teeter here in Dilworth because he was bothering customers in the parking lot. He mostly seems to meander in front of Starbucks and Caribou these days. And I am still surprised how quickly he was released last night after I saw him getting loaded up into the ambulance. There is only so much family or law enforcement can do if he is determined to continue his hobo ways. I am sure it's frustrating to all concerned.

Edited by voyager12

• 1 month later...

That is definitely not in Frazier Park, you can confirm that by reviewing the aerials online. It also would have had to be from a previous year as the poster was probably to drum up support for people to come out there year for it. It appears that the 2005 walk was around Queen's College, so it might be somewhere in Freedom Park, either on the pond/lake or on the creek. But I don't see a place that looks exactly like that with a jut out curve into the water.

The mystery continues :).

That is definitely not in Frazier Park, you can confirm that by reviewing the aerials online. It also would have had to be from a previous year as the poster was probably to drum up support for people to come out there year for it. It appears that the 2005 walk was around Queen's College, so it might be somewhere in Freedom Park, either on the pond/lake or on the creek. But I don't see a place that looks exactly like that with a jut out curve into the water.

The mystery continues :) .

I'm quite positive that that is Freedom Park, if my memory serves me justice from Festival-in-the-Park.

My first guess was Freedom Park also, but I can't think of anywhere around the lake that has those walls on an embankment though. The only section around the lake that has a hill like that is towards the train (where the Parks and Rec offices are) and I'm pretty sure it's just a gradual hill with no retaining wall.

I have been to Freedom Park many times and have many pictures, none of which have this particular design nor does anything from my memory. I have seen this same image on the greenways brochure for Mecklenburg but of all the greenways I have visited I have yet to find this particular location. Perhaps Charlotte stole the image from elsewhere to use in our fine city?

It looks similar, but I don't think Marshall Park has that kind of terracing. It's not a very hilly park.

Yeah, the only retaining wall I can think of in Marshall Park is the east wing of the ampitheatre and it isn't that long or serpentine. I'm pretty sure Freedom doesn't have a wall like that either; and there's no body of water at Latta ... ??

My question is, if a city is the 20 largest cities in the USA in population, how can it be considered small. I hear this all the time is Charlotte is a small town but it looks large. I think it gets mixed up with the Greater metro of other cities.

Charlotte in land area is bigger than the following cities Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Denver Co., Detroit, Michigan, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Baltimore, Maryland, Cincinnai, Ohio, Cleveland Ohio and Baton Rouge, La.. But people do not think all these cities are small due to their large MSA and CSA.

My question is, if a city is the 20 largest cities in the USA in population, how can it be considered small. I hear this all the time is Charlotte is a small town but it looks large.

I seem to recall that some years ago, the Sheriff of Mecklenburg County at that time said that "Charlotte is a big little city."

For me, this about sums it up. It is an existential type of thing for many. Where I live, Charlotte is small for my reality. For others, they might experience Charlotte as being large. Both realities are what they are and are both "true" at the same time. I find this to be part of Charlotte's charm and I do not get up against it (not that others do; how would I know such a thing?). I embrace said charm and love it.

Edited by maratletter

Who designed the park in Uptown with all the Masonic imagery / text / scupltures?

While wandering through Uptown last weekend at 2AM the humming bees really tripped me out.

What imagery are you talking about? I'd very interested to see them. I've been there several times but guess never paid any attention to the imagery/etc.