Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Beach county with mostly seasonal residences, not full time legal residents. Dare. Manteo is delightful.

Manteo crossed the Atlantic four or five times in the 1580's. What a man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manteo_(Native_American_leader)

Correct Dare county and there are not too many counties anywhere in USA with a population to housing unit ratio like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pretty good resolutions if you ask me.

Beachresolutions.jpg

seriously I will see the sea at least once a month.  But more locally I would say I want to visit all the ring cities around Charlotte and check out their downtowns.  So much is going on in them.

Try some new restaurants.  Visit all the major NC city downtowns from Asheville to Wilmington to Greensboro to Winston to Raleigh and Durham.  So much good going on around the state.  

Well I better get started...

• Like 4

Here is a great job if you love to travel and are a people person.  I have personally seen this from Concord Mills to parked in Hilton Head Island during a festival.

https://www.khou.com/article/life/oscar-meyer-hiring-person-to-drive-wienermobile-for-one-year/95-89fb9dcf-37f3-46ed-a181-bb9426241a55?fbclid=IwAR3YBQgwZqEZFAvFLAgICYF4lo1hJj14EVy8jlEDzrqfYufqxyDZ8Te9vqI

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2005 at 6:14 PM, monsoon said:

I don't think you could blame any of this on racism. Brooklyn had been removed decades earlier and the creation of the people unfriendly Marshal Park leveled even more houses. The destruction caused by I-277 was an equal opportunity destroyer. Knocking off such stuff as Arnold Palmer Cadillac (which used to be downtown), a number of hotels & restaurants, and so forth. By the time it was started in 1980, there was very little housing left there.

It has everything to do with racism. There is a whole name for this. I can’t remember off the top of my head but literally every major US city tore down low income housing that was of course minority neighborhoods in order to build roads, interstates, and freeway for the wealthy white upper class to move into the newly built suburbs that were planned all across the nation. And the the roads were easy access to the city from those neighborhoods that were abandoned. They only rebuilt project homes during these times aka the inner city hoods and ghettos. And now gentrification has been sweeping all major cities across the nation in the 21st century, and that can be seen as how dense all US cities are becoming and how urban neighborhoods are changing demographics one block at at time because people are revamping bower income neighborhoods, waiting on the opportunity a person is late on their taxes or lumber to swipe up their property, taxing them so high knowing the residents can’t afford them so the more privileged are moving back to the inner cities and terrorizing communities for their own benefit and displacing the working class which is causing more homelessness, and racial tension. This is literally every single city in america right now. And Charlotte is not excluded. Go to any meeting about wages, housing, discrimination, or taxes and you will see minorities on one side fighting for their livelihoods and the minority whites fighting to make more money. 

19 minutes ago, j-man said:

It has everything to do with racism. There is a whole name for this. I can’t remember off the top of my head but literally every major US city tore down low income housing that was of course minority neighborhoods in order to build roads, interstates, and freeway for the wealthy white upper class to move into the newly built suburbs that were planned all across the nation. And the the roads were easy access to the city from those neighborhoods that were abandoned. They only rebuilt project homes during these times aka the inner city hoods and ghettos. And now gentrification has been sweeping all major cities across the nation in the 21st century, and that can be seen as how dense all US cities are becoming and how urban neighborhoods are changing demographics one block at at time because people are revamping bower income neighborhoods, waiting on the opportunity a person is late on their taxes or lumber to swipe up their property, taxing them so high knowing the residents can’t afford them so the more privileged are moving back to the inner cities and terrorizing communities for their own benefit and displacing the working class which is causing more homelessness, and racial tension. This is literally every single city in america right now. And Charlotte is not excluded. Go to any meeting about wages, housing, discrimination, or taxes and you will see minorities on one side fighting for their livelihoods and the minority whites fighting to make more money. 

^ I was all :dunno: until I realized who that post was responding to :rolleyes:

I believe the terms you were searching for are redlining & urban renewal. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Wow.  There’s a blast from the past.  I thought/was ecstatic that I’d heard the last of that name years ago.   Had I known the downvotes were going away just minutes ago, I would’ve loved to have given him the last one.  

Edited by turbocraig
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I believe the terms you were searching for are redlining & urban renewal. 

Yes redlining for sure. But yeah keep gentrification in there. Couldn’t think of it at the time. 

Anyone want to continue to downvote discussion here in the "off-topic" topic (where it belongs), since the mods appear to have locked the polk building topic?

I don't know about y'all but I personally put way too much emphasis on the affirmation provided by the amount of likes I get on social media and forum posts.  :whistling:

And having a downvote option only compounds the feel goods. Plus it was satisfying as hell to downvote someone being a jerk, even obvious trolls.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Friendly reminder to have N95 masks stocked as the Coronavirus makes its way to the US. Some Amazon suppliers are sold out already, but i'm sure you find other places. 

Virus Tracker: 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

How's the general public feeling in Seattle? If I still lived there I'd for sure be buying a couple masks just in case, but there's a lot fewer people traveling from China to Charlotte.

18 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Not too bad. Better to be safe than sorry I say. 

There’s a reason fit testing exists in healthcare for masks: an ill-fitting mask isn’t gonna protect you from airborne and droplet precautions. And, on top of that, somebody who coughs in your eye or accidentally makes contact with open skin or gets stuff on your uni is the reason we have gloves and goggles and drapes.

Boring surgmasks are “better safe than sorry” for chemo patients on an airplane; not especially helpful for a massive viral outbreak.

More helpful? Being a vampire. So, do that. If you’re not too scared.

But you’re probably too scared.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

There’s a reason fit testing exists in healthcare for masks: an ill-fitting mask isn’t gonna protect you from airborne and droplet precautions. And, on top of that, somebody who coughs in your eye or accidentally makes contact with open skin or gets stuff on your uni is the reason we have gloves and goggles and drapes.

Boring surgmasks are “better safe than sorry” for chemo patients on an airplane; not especially helpful for a massive viral outbreak.

More helpful? Being a vampire. So, do that. If you’re not too scared.

But you’re probably too scared.

Anything to protect someone's sneeze from my nose and mouth is worth it. 106 dead and only 79 recovered, plenty reason to be take precautions. I know people who are trapped in China currently who are having trouble getting out with everyone sick around them. But they must be "too scared". 

Edited by mpretori

Over 8000 die yearly in the USA over the various regular strains of flu.

did not know that Honeywell our Charlotte based Honeywell makes these masks as well as does 3M.  I have had them for years as I travelled to Hong Kong a few years ago and it is commonplace to see them there.  

• Like 2

BREAKING: China says the number of coronavirus cases in the country has surged to 7,711 — with the death toll rising to 170 - Bloomberg 

Coronavirus cases has now surpassed the SARS outbreak. 

• Flights terminated 
  • Borders closed
  • Trains terminated
  • US franchises in China temporary closing

We are witnessing a country-wide quarantine. Some may take this in stride, but we can hope and pray this does not get as bad here in the US as it is in China right now.

This will have major economic impacts also. 

• Sad 2