Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

03/10/2020 - Duke University

The university in Durham, North Carolina, suspended in-person classes immediately, officials said in a notice sent to students Tuesday night.  Spring break for undergraduates has been extended until March 22 so people can prepare for online classes.  Those who are out of town for spring break have been told they should not return to campus.

Image result for image of duke university

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Harvard University

Today (03/10/2020), due to concerns about the novel coronavirus, Harvard University asked its students to leave campus by Sunday, March 15th, and to take their spring classes online.

"The decision to move to virtual instruction was not made lightly," President Lawrence S. Bascow said in a statement. "To our students, especially those of you graduating this year, I know that this is not how you expected your time at Harvard to end. We are doing this not just to protect you but also to protect other members of our community who may be more vulnerable to this disease than you are."

Link:  https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/3/11/harvard-coronavirus-classes-cancelled/

Image result for image of harvard yard

Harvard will transition to remote course instruction, administrators announced in an email.  By Ryan N. Gajarawala

Further links:  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/10/at-least-45-colleges-have-cancelled-in-person-classes-so-far-over-coronavirus-fears/#554ebbc04673

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/us/coronavirus-university-college-classes/index.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1

^^^Got my census but my mom did not and I went online and filled it out for her.  But rest of my family got their Census notices.

In other news local doughnut shops are still serving people.  went by the Concord Krispy Kreme thinking it was drive through only but found out you can go in the stores just not sit there and eat your doughnuts.   Dittos for my friend down at the Dunkin Donuts on South Blvd in Dilworth.   last photo inside the Dunkin on South Blvd. 

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

DDdilworth.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Is this a UP'er? :shades:

uusxckf2ghp41.jpg

Seen on r/charlotte

I've always wanted a skyline tattoo, but I would have to get every building done in realtime or I'd be unsatisfied with my decision.

• 2 weeks later...

When we first moved to Charlotte we lived across the street. I won't go over my views on the real uptown life as it really inflames people but I'll say that when I looked out the window, prior to purchase, and asked my great agent about this I was pretty shocked by her confirmation. It's kind of metaphorical for me. 

Things are improving slowly but the hand wringing over developer rights, even on this site I thought was dedicated to urban development (naively) based on its title, while  wishing for an improved urban core, are kind of mutually exclusive and self defeating in my mind. Not well written but you get the point I hope.

Edited by elrodvt

8 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Marriott Courtyard @ 3rd / Tryon

Is this thing seriously 10 floors of parking for 4 floors of Hotel? Oh Charlotte. 

the parking is basically for 201 South Tryon office tower and they just built a hotel on top.  that garage is pretty popular.  BB&T  Center has their own garage on that block too.  

• Like 1