Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

There is a U. S. Navy air station outside of Beaufort S. C. I was in Beaufort for a wedding and I saw that the Blue Angels would appear at an air show at the station. Sadly, I could not attend due to my previous commitment. I was going to the car at our guest house on Saturday afternoon when the team approached the show for a low altitude run. Out of nowhere the ground shook, ten trains passed between my ears (it seemed), and as I squatted in fear I looked up and caught a brief glimpse as they disappeared a few hundred feet over the trees. I experienced it closer than I would have had I been at the show. Impressive, yes. Beautiful, I don't know about that.

I must have looked quite a bit like the squirrels when a hawk circles low overhead in my yard.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Fantastic use of money that makes a tangible difference in this crisis. Murica! Fk yeah!

The Blue Angels squadron only does flight demonstrations / aerobatics. The mission is "to showcase the pride and professionalism of the United States Navy and Marine Corps by inspiring a culture of excellence and service to country through flight demonstrations and community outreach." So this type of mission is literally one of the main reasons the government sets aside funds for these demos each fiscal year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The Blue Angels squadron only does flight demonstrations / aerobatics. The mission is "to showcase the pride and professionalism of the United States Navy and Marine Corps by inspiring a culture of excellence and service to country through flight demonstrations and community outreach." So this type of mission is literally one of the main reasons the government sets aside funds for these demos each fiscal year. 

Doesn't really matter what bucket of money it comes from, paying for military theater is a waste of money

• Like 3

Maybe a waste of money, but still a thrill to see live.  When I was living in Nasville, I worked in Smyrna.  The facility was across the street from Smyrna Airport.  The airport was part of a military base that closed and left the airport to the city. So it has nice long runways for the little airport. It switches between the two every year Blue Angels then Thunderbirds the next.  On the friday before the show they were out doing practice runs.  Taking a break to go out and watch these guys was a treat.  As Tarhoosier said impressive.  For all the really idiotic things the government spends money on this bothers me the least.  You get to see up close your money flying by.  

May the Fourth be with you!!!!!!

Edited by nashbill
  • Like 3

I know this isn't really the right place for this but I am looking to rent a room/takeover a lease on a short-term basis etc. from the middle of June, so any help anyone? 

I am looking to move back to Charlotte, as I had to go back to the UK for a little bit a while ago and now I can't wait to get back to CLT. I have gotten no where with different groups on FB! 

Edited by CLT704

I'd like to hear all of your opinions, as the first wave of the Pandemic is starting to wind down, and a possible recession looms over the horizon, is Charlotte poised for an even more substantial rate of growth than previously? As companies and workers leave the overcrowded and expensive areas of the Northeast, Charlotte stands out as an option for them to move to. Nashville just recently increased their property taxes and that may help lure workers and companies alike to the Charlotte region.

However, looking at other cities like Austin, they've always had more growth and "excitement" within their city. This is not to demean Charlotte or it's size, but if Charlotte wants to continue to grow and become a powerhouse of the Southeast, we're going to have to develop more activities and hubs for residents and families. As a former South Floridian, there was never a shortage of activities or events. Granted South Florida is one of the most visited places and has a population almost 3x the size of Charlotte, Regardless Charlotte has a shortage of offerings for a city it's size. What are your thoughts as Charlotte potentially prepares for another decade of growth?

Edited by Cadi40

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Haha thanks for sharing for real.. We were about to go stock up on frozen meats at Costco but suppose I can wait another week!

image.png.41dcdc2788e0e3c2207fe7fd78e621f4.png

I wear this like a badge of honor. 

Honestly, next time we do a meet up I'm going to get this screenprinted on a shirt.

Edited by Guest

On 6/6/2020 at 2:34 PM, Nick2 said:

Cool map of various races/ethnicities in the area. You can use the link below to explore more in depth.

Screenshot_20200606-143225.thumb.png.27d7b507477dd111dbf137736b9b49d2.png

https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html

You'll see that same blue wedge in a lot of Charlotte economic maps: property values, home ownership, income levels, types of retail, school ratings, etc. Charlotte's wealth is concentrated almost entirely in that wedge, to the detriment of the rest of the city.

• Like 1