Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

16 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Walking around uptown checking out the mural and just thought, damn, uptown needs an ice cream shop or pop bar place bad. The ritz gelato place  doesn’t count. A Kilwins or Jenis would kill it. 

Also, uptown needs more Redbox locations. One at HT and circle K. Not enough for the entire uptown area. 

Thanks  for listening. This is the heat outside talking as I’m trying to find both lol. 

Insomnia Cookies at Epicenter has ice cream.  That's where I go.  Truist Ballpark was suppose to have one that was open always, but that never materialized.  God that name has not grown on me yet!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Insomnia Cookies at Epicenter has ice cream.  That's where I go.  Truist Ballpark was suppose to have one that was open always, but that never materialized.  God that name has not grown on me yet!

upper Bearden would be a great spot for a coffee, ice cream, etc. kiosk.

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

People still get physical DVD's haha?

Lol, not too frequently but redbox is useful for renting new releases instead of waiting for them to get on Netflix or prime. 

23 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Insomnia Cookies at Epicenter has ice cream.  That's where I go.  

Nice! I didn’t realized they sold ice cream there. Still think a Kilwins would kill it uptown. It would give Jeni a run for her money. Closest location to the clt market is huntersville. 

26 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

A coffee/snack thing tried for 6ish months I think that last summer in the octagon thing.  it closed up shop.  Maybe a different concept would do better, IDK

Yeah I think winter did them in. You have so many coffee options around Bearden that have indoor and outdoor options. The kiosk couldn't provide shelter from the cold 4 months out of the year which really killed traffic. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ for a few years (about a decade ago) the restaurant in that gas station was world famous in foodie circles. I once had asian pork belly succotash sitting in a booth beside the motor oil, my daughter had a hot dog, Swedish tourists were in the next booth.

Yes it is still famous and I forgot to take a photo of it the Saxapahaw General Store and Restaurant.  Did not eat there but they have a great menu something for everyone.

https://saxgenstore.com/

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Benjamin Everett Jordan, U. S. Senator in the 1950's to 70's, was a mill owner in Saxapahaw. Likely that mill?

From the 1940's to the 1970s, Kerr Scott, governor and senator, Jordan, and Robert Scott, son of Kerr, and governor himself in 1969-73 were all in the same area, Saxapahaw and Haw River.  This was near the end of the textile/farmer center of influence in North Carolina.

Yes he was the owner and his Jordan  family owns it now all the mill houses as rental homes and the commercial aspects and apartments.  There are for sale condos in one the buildings.  

• Like 2

Camp North End food stalls are awesome.  I've always wish Uptown could have these somewhere and just walk up and grab some food.  We only have two permanent food carts uptown, the Halal and Gyro guys.  We need more options like these.  Food stalls would be great somewhere near our main parks (Romare or 1st Ward Park).  Romare could be that little parking lot near ink n ivy.  1st ward park...well, anywhere...you have so many blank lots to work with lol.  I think cargo container food stalls would be cool somewhere.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Thus is painful to watch.  I must say, the one couple did fairly well.  And the other did horrible but somehow got NC and SC lol

Hell, I'd challenge Americans to identify the four countries that comprise the United Kingdom and place them within 100 miles of their actual location on a map of the British Isles. I'd be surprised if more than 5% could get it right. For anyone from anywhere other than the US to get anything more than California, Florida and New York (and maybe Texas), I'm mildly impressed. The only reason I name those states is because that's where they primarily used to go on holiday when we still allowed people to visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JHart said:

Anyone care to just name the provinces/territories of Canada? 

Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Ontario, Manitoba,  Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory.  I didn’t cheat!!! Damn I forgot Nova Scotia haha (I didn’t cheat though just remembered it after my submission lol)

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JHart said:

Anyone care to just name the provinces/territories of Canada? 

West to east: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nunavut, (NW Territory and Yukon Territory), Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scocia, PEI. What did I miss?

Just now, davidclt said:

West to east: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nunavut, (NW Territory and Yukon Territory), Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scocia, PEI. What did I miss?

Crap Saskatchewan and Newfoundland  :tw_bawling: