Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

The damage at Lake Charles wasn't necessarily from high-impact, though I'm sure that was part of it. Some of that damage was likely the glass being literally sucked out of the curtain wall system by high pressures. During high wind events you can often see glass "flexing" a little. There are systems rated for high winds, but there's very little that can be successfully tested against Cat 4 gusts. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

The damage at Lake Charles wasn't necessarily from high-impact, though I'm sure that was part of it. Some of that damage was likely the glass being literally sucked out of the curtain wall system by high pressures. During high wind events you can often see glass "flexing" a little. There are systems rated for high winds, but there's very little that can be successfully tested against Cat 4 gusts. 

Yes, that's absolutely true in this case. Impact is probably limited to the lower floors anyway, I can't imagine there's much debris flying around at 20 stories in the air. I don't know if there's an adhesive or connection system on earth that could hold glass on during that kind of pressure and wind speed.

My (off topic) comment in another thread about the inflection point of "authenticity" in neighborhoods took into account the moment Habitat ceased building in such neighborhoods, if they ever did. Once property ceases to be a giveaway and institution supported, self built homes for the worthy disappear one can be sure that the crest is near. 

Question? I recall Habitat homes in NoDa, to my memory, without driving around, but cannot pinpoint the location. Did I just imagine this? Not Belmont, but Warp street and thereabout. From memory and experience can anyone confirm this? Or did Habitat avoid NoDa?

15 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

My (off topic) comment in another thread about the inflection point of "authenticity" in neighborhoods took into account the moment Habitat ceased building in such neighborhoods, if they ever did. Once property ceases to be a giveaway and institution supported, self built homes for the worthy disappear one can be sure that the crest is near. 

Question? I recall Habitat homes in NoDa, to my memory, without driving around, but cannot pinpoint the location. Did I just imagine this? Not Belmont, but Warp street and thereabout. From memory and experience can anyone confirm this? Or did Habitat avoid NoDa?

I remember working on habitat homes near eastway and sugar creek "NoDa adjacent". Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

On 8/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, tarhoosier said:

I worked on a Habitat home many years ago in Optimist Park on 19th street I think where it deads at the Parkwood curve.  

• Thanks 1

So NoDa, by the estimable experience here, was never a Habitat neighborhood. Julia Maulden Place is not quite there. The residents of North Davidson mill area were perhaps more likely owners than renters. A renter neighborhood is the mark of Habitat. 

Thank you to those who answered and clarified.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, tarhoosier said:

So NoDa, by the estimable experience here, was never a Habitat neighborhood. Julia Maulden Place is not quite there. The residents of North Davidson mill area were perhaps more likely owners than renters. A renter neighborhood is the mark of Habitat. 

Thank you to those who answered and clarified.

Habitat's HQ was on E 35th St in NoDa for many years from 1997-2007 till they sold the building to Lat Purser I believe.

1348730351_ScreenShot2020-09-04at12_41_19AM.thumb.png.95f1f1e1ae64f548549216244d99a327.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went by 2300 Queens Road East on my way somewhere a few weeks ago and noticed a dozer beside the (large, fine and quality) house. I went by a few days ago and found the house gone. The property sold last year for 2,725,000$. It is a large lot, divisible. There will be two 6000+htd sq ft homes soon. Building contract cost for one house, including fees, is 857,000$ and the other must be nearly the same. So a divisible lot with a fine and useful home, well integrated into the neighborhood is a teardown at 2.8MM. 

Lost home (6521 sq ft):

https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/181910

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I dropped off our ballots at the board of elections today around 2:30. It was very crowded there (the parking lot was full, yet another example of how car culture makes it harder to exercise our rights). The process involves the elections board official reviewing your envelope to ensure its completed correctly and signing the ballot in (and stating who you are delivering a ballot for).

Security is high, but the barriers to voting are not small, particularly for the large number of elderly folks who were there. This is certainly not a drop it into a dropbox situation.

Ballottrax has not updated to indicate ballot receipt two hours later.... (perhaps they batch those after COB)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1