Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

KJH mentioned his first jobs in an economic thread post. Rather than clutter that thread I will post here. First job, i. e., for wages, with set hours and pay: car jockey at large Ford dealership. Moving cars around lot, fetching cars for customers and mechanics, and sweeping floor of service area and whatnot. Wore a gray/blue shirt with my name embroidered over left pocket and FORD emblem over right breast. Punched a time clock, literally; put my time card in slot and hit lever for printing arrival and departure time. Age 17.

Prior was newspaper delivery, and assorted neighborhood odd jobs such as lawn care and yard cleaning, and assistant pizza delivery which was paid in pizzas that were undeliverable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Random, Sim City, thought. Let’s turn La Belle Helen into the nicest Apple store in the Southeast. Since it has the adjacent coffee shop included, it can be a concept apple store with cocktail/coffee lounge. Can market a new Apple experience for customers and have interactive experiences and special/early releases of new products. Tryon address, bottom of a fantastic tower...I actually think this idea would be a huge attraction tbh (won’t happen but nice to think about).

• Like 4

On night 9 of my 10 night  road trip to Austin Texas and back with stops in Houston,  New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Biloxi, Mobile and Atlanta.  as I know y'all love tall buildings I have seen a plenty.

Along the way outside of the Carolinas I have seen or walked into 5 different states tallest buildings on my epic road trip to Texas and back :  that being the tallest in Texas (Chase Tower 75 stories 1002 feet in downtown Houston)     tallest building in Louisiana ( the Hancock Whitney Bldg aka Shell Plaza downtown NOLA 51 stories 697 feet);   the tallest building in Mississippi went inside here (the Beau Rivage Hotel 32 story 346 feet tall on the Gulf in Biloxi );    the tallest building in Alabama in Mobile (the RSA Battle House 35 story 745 foot tall mixed use tower and tallest building on the Gulf of Mexico outside of Houston and taller than anything on the Florida gulf coast)  and drive by the tallest building in Georgia (the 55 story 1023 feet tall Bank of America Tower in Atlanta) 

Bonus shots of tallest residential building west of the Mississippi River Austin's Independent condo tower and the tallest state capitol in America the Capitol in Baton Rouge. 

HIGHLY recommend driving tours and this one was 10 days roundtrip and saw lots of friends and lots of sights. 

1 2.  Chase Tower in Houston tallest 5 sided bldg in the world. 

3.4 Hancock Whitney Bank aka Shell Square in New Orleans

5.6. Beau Rivage in Biloxi 

7.8. RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile

9.10. Bank of America Tower in the ATL drive bys 

Bonus shots:  Louisiana State Capitol and the Independent condo tower in Austin 690 feet tall and 58 stories (2 shots of this one I really like the jenga style) 

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_7363.JPG

IMG_7364.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:
  • That RSA Battlehouse building in Mobile is really nice - but I have always thought it was WAY out of its league - just based on location.

I could see it from the bridge on I-65 about 20 miles away.  Here is a better photo. the middle photo shows the old Battle House restored as part of the project.  

Mobile's skyline punches way above its weight reminds me of another city I live in the QC. 

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/27/2020 at 9:59 AM, tarhoosier said:

Go into the Louisiana Capitol building and see the pock marks on the wall where bullets from Huey Long bodyguards hit after Long was shot by Dr. Weiss. Bodyguards(?)

they were closed for tours this time but my first visit years ago I saw them.  

• Like 1

Heading to NYC anytime soon?  Plan to quarantine 

this is their new policy for every state but 3 others.

""Now, travelers must show proof of a negative test taken within three days of arriving in the Empire State, and must also quarantine for three more days — and get a new COVID-19 test on the fourth.""

https://nypost.com/2020/10/31/gov-cuomo-says-all-travelers-must-get-tested-for-covid-19/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone feel like that Charlotte drivers have a knack for running into objects on the side of the road? Signs, lights, buildings...I know accidents happen in all cities but I feel like new things will be added near the side of the road and could be destroyed in months. 
Examples: Plaza bike lane markers 

many bollards, lights, tree protectors by 30Six NoDa. 
Rail Trail counter 

• Sad 1

On 11/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, michaelef said:

Does anyone feel like that Charlotte drivers have a knack for running into objects on the side of the road? Signs, lights, buildings...I know accidents happen in all cities but I feel like new things will be added near the side of the road and could be destroyed in months. 
Examples: Plaza bike lane markers 

many bollards, lights, tree protectors by 30Six NoDa. 
Rail Trail counter 

How about the light poles on Independence near Briar Creek? It seems like there’s always one or two of those snapped off. Hell, someone crashed into the front of the old Merchandise Mart (now The Park Expo and Conference Center) not too long ago. 

I’ve also noticed a lot of cars failing to slow down in time at the Eastway exit lately. 

Y'all thought I was crazy when I said my favorite fast food burger is from In N Out but I guess the people of suburban Denver CO are like me.  Check this out at a new location one of the first in Colorado.    there is just something magical about the double double animal style.  Glad the newness has worn off in Texas but they are still crowded as they are fewer of them there than in SoCal. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/business/aurora-in-n-out-12-hour-wait/73-8ced142c-6b96-4da3-91af-40de77fc91e6

• Like 1

related to  this above, there are MORE hens in one farm in Union County than people in all of Mecklenburg County.  Simpson Eggs has 1.375 Million hens laying 1.2 million eggs A DAY.  I have driven past it on Hwy 218 and it is quite the operation.    Outside of Mecklenburg and maybe Gaston all the surrounding counties have huge farms and farm operations. 

Simpson's Eggs | Family owned & operated since 1925

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

If they can blow up this huge high rise complex in 10 seconds in Abu Dhabi we can do the same for a certain 10 story garage on the edge of uptown.  started building in 2007.   Mina Plaza demolition: Abu Dhabi tears down towers in seconds ahead of port regeneration - The National (thenationalnews.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1