Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

18 hours ago, Neo said:

It's one ad that is displayed while the content is loading and only one ad is displayed per hour/session. 

That hasn't been my experience on mobile or computer. In either location, the ad loads full screen and then stays put, with no way to exit the ad or anything. On both platforms I had to reload the site to get to the content. 

Edited by tozmervo
edit: tnx for supporting membership link, I also didn't know it existing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

That hasn't been my experience on mobile or computer. In either location, the ad loads full screen and then stays put, with no way to exit the ad or anything. On both platforms I had to reload the site to get to the content. 

There is an X in the upper right-hand corner of the ad.

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

There is an X in the upper right-hand corner of the ad.

Trust me, I've looked for it every time starting in the top right corner. Maybe I've been experiencing some persistent graphical or technical glitch. 

Anyway, I know nothing about web hosting economics. Is $20 worth one person's ad views for the year? (thanks for the option and putting up with us :alc:)

• Like 1

Just now, tozmervo said:

Trust me, I've looked for it every time starting in the top right corner. Maybe I've been experiencing some persistent graphical or technical glitch. 

Anyway, I know nothing about web hosting economics. Is $20 worth one person's ad views for the year? (thanks for the option and putting up with us :alc:)

Yes, $20 is roughly equal to the lost revenue for a fairly active user on UP. It costs several hundred dollars to keep this site running each month. We have licensing fees, hosting fees, corporation filing fees, taxes, (sometimes) legal fees, etc. $20 per year ends up being a little over $1.50 per month. It's been a few years since I analyzed and set the $20 annual rate to remove ads, so inflation and rising costs have probably made that number lower than what ad revenue would have brought in.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:11 AM, tozmervo said:

I can see the X on my PC, but I can't see the X on my phone.....

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, Neo said:

Yes, $20 is roughly equal to the lost revenue for a fairly active user on UP. It costs several hundred dollars to keep this site running each month. We have licensing fees, hosting fees, corporation filing fees, taxes, (sometimes) legal fees, etc. $20 per year ends up being a little over $1.50 per month. It's been a few years since I analyzed and set the $20 annual rate to remove ads, so inflation and rising costs have probably made that number lower than what ad revenue would have brought in.

I am a supporting member. But still got those ads.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I am a supporting member. But still got those ads.

I cannot recreate this issue. I just double checked and the code is not loading for your group type (Supporting Member). Please submit a ticket or shoot me an email ([email protected]) with a screenshot showing today's date, a timestamp, your being logged into the site, and the ad being displayed and I'll check it out.

5 hours ago, Neo said:

I cannot recreate this issue. I just double checked and the code is not loading for your group type (Supporting Member). Please submit a ticket or shoot me an email ([email protected]) with a screenshot showing today's date, a timestamp, your being logged into the site, and the ad being displayed and I'll check it out.

Ok next time it happens, I'll let you know. It only happened on mobile because I use ad blocker on my computer browser.

• Like 1

I was at panther stadium for the mass vaccination event Saturday and the logistics and preparation were superb. So much so that by late Saturday they increased the number of vaccinations possible Sunday due to the efficiency of the program. Second shot (Moderna) is late February.

While in the BOA deck I noticed that my Geo-location on Google maps and also Apple maps was indicated as corner of First and Cedar, blocks away and identical mis-location. I have not noticed this when in other structures. Cell service was all bars (which is not the same as GPS connection). Any idea why the services identified my location in such a distant yet identical location?

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, AP3 said:

Has anyone noticed the LED lights with the blue-ish/purple-ish tint being installed all over the neighborhoods outside Uptown?  I don't know why they bother me so much but they do :-)

They put one in front of my house recently and I have noticed them in other places as well around town. I'm assuming it is Duke with a more energy efficient/longer life bulb, but it is very odd how purple they are. Not a fan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

They put one in front of my house recently and I have noticed them in other places as well around town. I'm assuming it is Duke with a more energy efficient/longer life bulb, but it is very odd how purple they are. Not a fan!

I think the purple is a movement towards a "softer" color for LEDs that the very bright white that looks like daylight. Unfortunately the LEDs for street lights don't yet produce the same 2,200K colors as old High Pressure Sodium (HPS) street lights. 

I've read they are put in as a form of crime prevention, but have seen explanations anywhere from the color blue helps reduce depression and suicidal effects in humans, to reducing the amount of loitering in blue light areas vs white, to drug users cannot see their own veins in blue light. Either way there's a ton of random studies trying to identify why Glasgow saw the levels of crime reduction they did when they originally swapped blue lights in for aesthetic reasons only. 

• Thanks 2