Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

On 2/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, AP3 said:

Has anyone noticed the LED lights with the blue-ish/purple-ish tint being installed all over the neighborhoods outside Uptown?  I don't know why they bother me so much but they do :-)

I was wondering if the purple wasn't because the green LEDs which makes up the triad to make white light hadn't faded or failed in some way leading to the emitted light appearing purple but I had noticed the purple hue more of late. Some of the new LED fixtures have completely failed. I hope Duke/City of Charlotte has some form of guarantee from the manufacturer for life span of the installed fixtures in hours.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, AP3 said:

Has anyone noticed the LED lights with the blue-ish/purple-ish tint being installed all over the neighborhoods outside Uptown?  I don't know why they bother me so much but they do :-)

While we're on the subject of LED lights can we push the city/Duke to speed up transitioning to LED lights. I can't even see the lines in the road when it's dark and rains. The outdated orange sodium lights need to go. 

Finally, the city needs to work on improving areas that lack streetlights altogether. 

Edited by michaelef

Very random request, but does anyone know of any Albanian-American groups, clubs, organizations, restaurants, or events in the region? Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Edit: It's not for myself, but for someone I know that I want to convince to move here.

Edited by DH17
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, DH17 said:

Very random request, but does anyone know of any Albanian-American groups, clubs, organizations, restaurants, or events in the region? Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Edit: It's not for myself, but for someone I know that I want to convince to move here.

This is late and probably not that helpful but, there's a facebook group for Albanians in NC, thats all that I know of for sure.  But there are some Albanians here that I've met over the years. 

That said and completely unrelated Whatever happened to Ricky_Davis_Fan?  

26 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Random question: Does anyone know the history of the building that Ruth's Chris occupies in Uptown?  Was just curious how a freestanding, one story building survived on Tryon in the midst of all the towers over the years.    

If I am not mistaken, the building was built specifically for Ruth's Chris....it was not a pre-existing building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I got it now. Click on the green circle or star (if you have posted on that thread) and it will take you to the newest thread. And my wife told me that you can also just click on the small text at the right that says when the last post was. I have saved collectively probably 8 hours of my life over my lifetime of reading UP. Thank you all.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:13 AM, lit said:

I’m not sure where to put this, but it seems TR Lawing has sold the Tryon House Apartments to some investors?

76552FC3-5FEE-49EE-90CC-79FC1B693095.png

Wow!

I just met someone who's been renting there for about 7 years. He said this was TR Lawing's ONLY owned asset, rather than fee-managed property. As a tenant he regularly dealt with family members of the TR Lawing family.

Apparently TR Lawing never cared what changes/upgrades tenants made to the units, as long as it didn't damage the integrity of the building; they considered them all unique upgrades.

The person I met converted his apt into a studio space (removing cabinets, etc) when they moved in with their partner in their place.

I'm curious how the new investment company will handle current tenants.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, ArtieP said:

My investigative reporting indicates that the lights were are defective and turning purple, according to Duke.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/heres-why-some-street-lights-across-charlotte-are-switching-purple/LIP6UJLCCRAZ7J36X42EWSZFDI/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah those are in greensboro and raleigh too.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, ArtieP said:

My investigative reporting indicates that the lights were are defective and turning purple, according to Duke.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/heres-why-some-street-lights-across-charlotte-are-switching-purple/LIP6UJLCCRAZ7J36X42EWSZFDI/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one by my house was already reported on the Duke map when I checked upon seeing the article. I had already reported it through the City, so that may be why it was flagged. A crew was working on that pole last night (11:30 pm) so I believe it has been fixed! Hope to continue to see these go away - they are UGLY.

• Like 1