Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

If you live in Charlotte you are likely to know about the New Indy paper Mill in Catawba, S. C. Residents from Ballantyne south to Indian Land and surroundings have complained about the smell. S. C. has confirmed the odors are not dangerous or carrying toxic materials. They smell bad, like an overcrowded tenement with large Eastern European family (jk).

Drove to Catawba, S. C. today. Catawba is a community in the heart of the Catawba reservation. It reminds me of a rural Lumbee community in Robeson County. No T-Mobile service here. There is a tribal post office. The New Indy paperboard plant is a short drive from Catawba. The plant is immense as paper mills generally are. There was power generation today with the roaring from a distance and steam(?) from two sources at the rear of the plant as viewed from the road. I smelled nothing from my spot in front of the plant. One can see the wind was from the east and blowing the steam westward in my photo. On departure heading west I approached the Catawba River a mile or more away and at that point the smell was apparent, blown that way by the wind. It was a mix of sulphur and boiled cabbage. Some paper mills emit little smell depending on the pulp or raw stock used, type of paper manufactured, chemicals used and other considerations when forcing a decomposition of the raw product. After I crossed the Catawba and drove for about a mile the smell dissipated.  This plant makes paperboard now and may emit more smell than the previous production here in years past.

This is my video and with sound turned high one can hear the sound of power generation. It is not traffic sound though resembles it, however louder.

Here is a video from the past that takes the viewer inside the plant. This was a different owner than today.

For those who travel regularly I-40 past Canton west of Asheville the paper mill there for over 100 years was notorious for the smell and the destructive effluent in the Pigeon River which annihilated the animal life and made the water undrinkable and unusable for any purpose. Such was the power of a major taxpayer and employer in a small isolated community for decades. In the 1970's to 80's a cleaning process was begun and the plant is a better neighbor but still a paper mill. Same smell as New Indy. 

8808F064-5C45-4118-88F0-64193540B7BB_1_105_c.jpeg

173069AA-19DC-42CD-B2FC-36B27C1BA896_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

I read that the smell is of rotten egg and I wonder how relevant this term is to modern life. Modern egg production and distribution, reliable refrigeration, fear of lawsuits that would destroy the reputation of a supplier have made rotten eggs a home experiment rather than an expected  life risk. I have never had a rotten egg in my life. My grandparents lived on a farm and raised chickens for the table and for eggs and kept the eggs in a cellar and likely encountered the event. This city boy has been free from the experience. 

Has anyone on this board encountered a rotten egg in his life?

On 5/1/2021 at 11:33 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Pittsburgh? I'll have to take a closer look next time, but it looks pretty nice to me. Can't make out much garish signage. Maybe it's all recently added?

image.png.d22aba9824ad0031d17be40b013a9aa5.png

image.thumb.png.35cfc3149510068be2ae304972e1c64e.png

image.thumb.png.1a4a110d5a4cdb53b135b3031a42357b.png

Yes, those are older pictures.  The US Steel Building (64 story), now has UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) plastered on all three sides.  The other purplish colored building has KJ or KL Gates across all sides.  In the first picture, the mirrored building that has the familiar look of the original NCNB building on the square has stuff on it too.  The pointed building with the spire used to have Highmark Blue Cross across all four sides.  I think Mellon got rid of the signs (next to UPMC) and has the new moniker of the bank that took over (forgetting the name of that).  Thankfully, none of the PNC buildings has any signage that I'm aware of.  The newest tower for PNC is across from their original headquarters.  I do see that in the last picture square in the middle with the red flashing lights.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette (second picture just above the arch of the bridge) used to have the name in a large sign across the top.  That has been removed since they moved to the North Shore.  As a kid, back in the 70's I think the only building that had any actual signs/names on them were the US Steel Building (USS in a circle) and the Westinghouse Building (just a plain white W) - which is the black building in the second picture at the top of the arch of the bridge.  For a good period there, it seemed like every building was getting plastered with whoever was taking up the most space.  It may have abated a little - hopefully.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, DMann said:

I have always loved Pittsburgh!  I used to live on Mt Washington across the river from the city!

I had friends that lived by the Duquesne Incline, closer to the point.  It was kind of neat to stay there for the weekend, but over time, the traffic and events that would draw locals and tourists would probably wear on you - if you were not used to it.  If i could have afforded it, when i worked downtown, I probably would have tried to live up there b/c the commute was insanely easy - and cheap!  Of course, that was 25+ years ago!! :)

• Like 4

UrbanPlanet Classifieds post (NeosList)

We’ve ended up with some PGA tickets we can’t use next May 21-24. Field limited to just 10k spectators this year. Ticket transfer is all mobile.
We have 3 tickets for Friday, asking $150 apiece.
We have 3 tickets for Saturday & Sunday, asking $183 apiece.
Message me asap if you’re interested, before some other lucky snaps them up!

All gone.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 1

I love the beach.  I love the OBX and the town of Duck.  I love doughnuts.  Hmm  my perfect vacation.

Duck Donuts' The Sweet Escape - Donut-Themed Outer Banks Getaway at Sanderling Resort (sanderling-resort.com)

been by the Sanderling Inn and it is really nice and close to the Corolla Lighthouse and where the wild horses of the OBX live. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I love the beach.  I love the OBX and the town of Duck.  I love doughnuts.  Hmm  my perfect vacation.

Duck Donuts' The Sweet Escape - Donut-Themed Outer Banks Getaway at Sanderling Resort (sanderling-resort.com)

been by the Sanderling Inn and it is really nice and close to the Corolla Lighthouse and where the wild horses of the OBX live. 

I was at the Sanderling three years ago this week. Advice: early to mid-May may be too soon to fully enjoy the area. Cold  winds, damp for two days. Impossible to enjoy beach without polar wear. Most shops closed until "season".  Still, the wild horse expeditions with blankets for passengers, Wright Brothers visit with ranger presentation, Manteo walkaround and brewery and fine local food made it worthwhile. And not so much traffic and without gangs of summer people.  Adjust expectations and adapt.

• Like 4

I have been getting some ads in Russian on UP lately LOL

and no I have not looked up anything up but have spoken of Russian hacks outloud

Пожалуйста, никакой русской рекламы на Городской Планете

for those not up on your Russian:   ""Please no Russian advertisements on Urban Planet ""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 3

Thanks for this. All of this.

I attended Joyce Kilmer Grammar School for years K-5. Each year on Arbor Day we went outside and the principal and a few others joined a few selected students to plant a tree on the grounds. We recited the poem from memory. In the classroom we learned of Joyce Kilmer and the Fighting 69th in WWI. Our school was School 69. (no snickering there you two).  I will not link to the wiki you can go there if you wish. Joyce Kilmer Forest is in far southwest NC and has some of the last old growth trees in America. Saved due to him, his poem and some followers of his time and shortly after.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

On 5/29/2021 at 5:13 PM, tarhoosier said:

Thanks for this. All of this.

I attended Joyce Kilmer Grammar School for years K-5. Each year on Arbor Day we went outside and the principal and a few others joined a few selected students to plant a tree on the grounds. We recited the poem from memory. In the classroom we learned of Joyce Kilmer and the Fighting 69th in WWI. Our school was School 69. (no snickering there you two).  I will not link to the wiki you can go there if you wish. Joyce Kilmer Forest is in far southwest NC and has some of the last old growth trees in America. Saved due to him, his poem and some followers of his time and shortly after.

I am always pitching Joyce Kilmer Wilderness to folks looking for places to go in the mountains. The hike through there is unlike anything else in the eastern US. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I am always pitching Joyce Kilmer Wilderness to folks looking for places to go in the mountains. The hike through there is unlike anything else in the eastern US. 

Yes, true. Put it with a fun drive on the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon. Marvel at the expensive metal on two and three wheels while there. Go to Cherokee, if that is your thing. Fontana Lake for recreation, plus the National Forest.  Take your liquor with you, it is a dry county. And I mean all dry.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Yes, true. Put it with a fun drive on the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon. Marvel at the expensive metal on two and three wheels while there. Go to Cherokee, if that is your thing. Fontana Lake for recreation, plus the National Forest.  Take your liquor with you, it is a dry county. And I mean all dry.

Went on the Dragon this past Saturday. Had never heard of it before. Thousands of motorcycles - made for a wild experience & drive into the Smokies.

My grandparents both sides of my family and my 86 year old mother has always called it uptown.  I call it uptown and every now and then I let slip downtown.  But I do call it uptown to everyone local but sometimes when talking about it to out of towners I say downtown ( so I don;t have to do the long convoluted explanation).  To me it is uptown Charlotte or area 99 the 28202

• Like 3