Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I was impressed with Lowes tool rental (Southend/Dilworth) today. High quality stuff (my trencher seemed new), nice folks and easy in and out thanks to the outbuilding.

Its nice to see the outbuilding being effectively used. Its still a shame that the street activation still hasn't happened (which I thought was a requirement of zoning), but this is a big improvement over using it to store straw and hay.

• Like 4

Just got a request in the mail from Duke Energy asking me if I would like to pay an additional $3, $6, $9, $12, or more on my monthly bill to hurry the inclusion of renewable energy sources to the grid, not that I will be getting that, just that it will hasten the move to renewables.  Now my wife has a Tesla, and I have a NIU electric Scooter and I totally believe in that but I would think that Duke doesn't need my money to make that happen!!!!!

• Like 3

Has anyone tried to receive a nextgen 4k broadcast yet? Charlotte seems to be ahead of the curve: https://tvnewscheck.com/tech/article/five-charlotte-n-c-stations-debut-nextgen-tv/

If you're using it:

Do you have a source for seeing what shows are presently available or planned in 4k?

What kind of a bitrates do you see? The streaming 4k sources are heavily compressed.

Are most shows in hdr or dolby vision?

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Has anyone else noticed a really significant decline in food/service quality at Bojangles in the past year or so? (relatively speaking, of course)

Out of the three times that I've ever had Bojangles, the most recent time was the only time it was edible. So from my incredibly small sample size the quality has improved!

1 hour ago, DH17 said:

I've always had better luck with Bojangle's out in the countryside.

+1 to this. The further you get from West and S Tryon the better the Bo’s. Out in eastern NC I am always given fresh biscuits, But I can’t remember the last time I got a biscuit in Charlotte were the egg wasn’t cold.

12 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Has anyone else noticed a really significant decline in food/service quality at Bojangles in the past year or so? (relatively speaking, of course)

I’ve noticed the chicken supremes are not as good as they used to be. Less chicken and more breading it seems. The chicken is not as tender.  I think they made a change in the last year or so like you said.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:43 PM, NCMike1990 said:

Google Maps Street View has been updated for many of Charlotte's main roads. The images are from May, June and August.

Now if Google Earth will update their 3D mesh of Charlotte by now to 2020-21 aerial imagery. We should be on the regular update 3D schedule as other cities are nowadys with the constant changes to our urban landscape here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article from August concerning the negative aspects of remote work.  I am currently a HR Manager with a multinational engineering and manufacturing company that is based in Austria, and there is already discussions on how to outsource work, especially value added jobs in engineering and design from high cost countries to low cost countries.  There was already a focus prior to the pandemic in these types of job movements within Purchasing, Finance, and Data services.   Me personally, this not bode well for American jobs which could be remoted out to low cost countries.

https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/careers/survey-most-managers-say-remote-workers-are-more-easily-replaceable/

• Thanks 1