Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Found a neighborhood today that is new to me, McCrorey Heights. South of Oaklawn, east of the Vest Water Plant and Beatty* Ford Road. Altogether pleasant area and nearly unknown to many of my peers, I would presume. 

*Beatty/Beattie/Beatty's/Beatties are variations I have seen. I cannot say which is the most correct. All have been used for a long time and are interchangeable, no distinction about proper spelling 250 years ago.

This is a representative home. Some a bit larger, some smaller but nearly all brick, well maintained, gracious lawns. Just right for a family.

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.41066adcaf45c806a663e0559fdb0760.JPG

Here is a new(er) build home. Corner lot and modern, pleasing  to my eye.

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.327a6324b7ff5683afaf668db31abfae.JPG

Two new homes coming.IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.920aa23b991c7c78a8e00e4fb5e2d9c4.JPGIMG_0612.thumb.JPG.4335cae26bc61e42732a6f4d0dc4aa5d.JPG

This was the most imposing home I saw. 550k$, 3400 sf.

134740806_IMG_06132.thumb.JPG.5b7d2b255cd020ca1344ab031dfcbb60.JPG

View down Patton Avenue toward the plant. Note sidewalk and curbs and stormwater drains. Well planned.

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.400c3aa6bfe20c4cdf65fd9603e2d3be.JPG

As a special opportunity, since this is on the rise where the water plant is located, and water plants are ALWAYS on the highest ground around, a few lots and homes here have a view of the top of the skyline even with the leaves on trees. I had never explored this area before. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Found a neighborhood today that is new to me, McCrorey Heights. South of Oaklawn, east of the Vest Water Plant and Beatty* Ford Road. Altogether pleasant area and nearly unknown to many of my peers, I would presume. 

Looking at the map, it's got a great little street grid too.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:41 PM, rancenc said:

Interesting article from August concerning the negative aspects of remote work.  I am currently a HR Manager with a multinational engineering and manufacturing company that is based in Austria, and there is already discussions on how to outsource work, especially value added jobs in engineering and design from high cost countries to low cost countries.  There was already a focus prior to the pandemic in these types of job movements within Purchasing, Finance, and Data services.   Me personally, this not bode well for American jobs which could be remoted out to low cost countries.

https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/careers/survey-most-managers-say-remote-workers-are-more-easily-replaceable/

It's all about qualifications. If you're a highly qualified and competent in your respective field then you'll be fine. It's those who get by in privileges of knowing or being friends with someone but not qualified for the job is who needs to be worried. 

On 10/20/2021 at 6:41 PM, rancenc said:

Interesting article from August concerning the negative aspects of remote work.  I am currently a HR Manager with a multinational engineering and manufacturing company that is based in Austria, and there is already discussions on how to outsource work, especially value added jobs in engineering and design from high cost countries to low cost countries.  There was already a focus prior to the pandemic in these types of job movements within Purchasing, Finance, and Data services.   Me personally, this not bode well for American jobs which could be remoted out to low cost countries.

https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/careers/survey-most-managers-say-remote-workers-are-more-easily-replaceable/

that is a good point.  I think people should be willing to go into the office to be seen and I think some who work at home all the time can easily be looked over for promotions and so forth.   

• Like 3

this concert will be very big believe me.  From twitter this morning.  

Kenny Chesney is coming to perform at 
@BofAstadium  on April 30, 2022. Tickets go on sale Nov 12, 2021!

On 10/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Anyone know if the parking deck at Ally Center validates or has free parking for the retail guests?

Not sure as I always park at Whole Foods for up to 2 hours and buy something there and validate.  

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Clover Joe's in Latta Arcade / Brevard Court is ever open these days? I showed up on Monday at 2 and they were shut tight, despite google saying they were open till 3. I have a major hankering for a decent steak and cheese and I hear this is the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Julian, of Bruce Julian Clothier on Selwyn makes the New York Times Sunday:

IMG_0631.thumb.JPG.2b3e412ab9bcbf73ddbc227f55645c69.JPG

I have been with Bruce starting with his father Milton Julian and his store Milton's Clothing Cupboard on South Tryon near Frank Woods Pontiac, excuse me, the current Mint Museum of Art. Bought a suit there. Then to Shops on the Park when Bruce was in charge then out to highway 51, Bought a fine double breasted wool navy blazer there, classic and still have it, and then to his current location. Top choices with quality fabrics, matched for the customer with care. My clothing purchases dropped significantly when I retired so I visit rarely. I have a connection to his wife and in-laws mentioned here.

Father Milton had the same shop on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill for years. Some here may recall it.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article9264398.html

• Haha 1

There was a public post in the Orlando site of UP asking about the anonymity of responses. It was a thread that was all politics though that may not be the issue that drove Neo to action.  It was the only public post I saw that he responded to for a UP site search with Neo as the author

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2