Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

there was a discussion somewhere on this site about Tyrrell County NC least populous county with only 3245 people in the entire state.   The county is 389 sq miles.    Lots of water, swamps and prime farmland and great waterfront land. Many people make the 30-40 minute drive to the OBX for work.  Oh yeah this area has the highest concentration of black bears in the entire eastern US. 

Here is Columbia and the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge visitors center and Scuppernong River.   This is where the 4 lane highway ends until you reach the Roanake Island bridges over to Nags Head.   No gas for the next 20 or so miles.  They are promoting eco tourism here and they have several parks and wildlife refuges nearby including a state park on one of the largest natural lakes in NC. They have a newer Food Lion in town too. 

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

• Like 3

Charlotte City Council meeting just adjourned.  There was a fairly heated discussion (heated by Charlotte standards) to ban use of exotic animals for entertainment (circuses or otherwise.  Animal rights advocates have been pushing for this for years.  Tonight it finally passed by a 6-4 vote.

Among other items that passed:

o  The 2040 Vision Plan

o  Southpark Municipal Service District

o  Mallard Creek Church Infrastructure Reimbursement Agreement (with Centene)

• Like 2

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think there should be a downvote reaction of some kind again. I do get that there could be the issue of an opposing opinion being quashed by the majority on a topic. But unless it's something unacceptable, it should be heard anyway. Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I want to post this here as I don't want to derail another thread, but this video is extremely pertinent to what has been discussed in the Brooklyn Village thread as of late.  It's all about billionaires row in Manhattan and the role it plays in New York's local economy.  The channel is called The B1M.  I'm sure many here are familiar with it and if you are not I highly suggest you subscribe.  Every video they put out is worth a watch. 

I'm pretty sure youtube is aware of what I read on UP, since right after reading the BV thread I was recommended that video. Slightly uncanny. Not that I don't routinely watch similar videos, though. 

• Like 1

I want to post this here as I don't want to derail another thread, but this video is extremely pertinent to what has been discussed in the Brooklyn Village thread as of late.  It's all about billionaires row in Manhattan and the role it plays in New York's local economy.  The channel is called The B1M.  I'm sure many here are familiar with it and if you are not I highly suggest you subscribe.  Every video they put out is worth a watch. 

Been following them for a few years now. I watched this video the other day it was interesting look into Billionaires row.

So I remember seeing someone express that Steele Creek was being neglected by the city or something along those lines. I couldn’t find the thread so Instead I will ask here, what do you mean? Or does someone know something that I am not aware of? Steele Creek is mostly a SF suburban style neighborhood at the edge of Charlotte? What exactly are they not doing for Steele Creek that they are doing for similar neighborhoods in Charlotte.

5 hours ago, JeanClt said:

So I remember seeing someone express that Steele Creek was being neglected by the city or something along those lines. I couldn’t find the thread so Instead I will ask here, what do you mean? Or does someone know something that I am not aware of? Steele Creek is mostly a SF suburban style neighborhood at the edge of Charlotte? What exactly are they not doing for Steele Creek that they are doing for similar neighborhoods in Charlotte.

The zoning is terrible in Steele Creek and traffic reflects it.  Too many shopping centers, too many fast food places with turning lanes, to make a U-turn is extremely difficult etc.  S. tryon in Steele Creek reminds me of what Independence blvd used to be 20 years ago.  I have a feeling it is going in that direction unfortunately.  

On 12/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, go_vertical said:

I've seen the videos for this page on Facebook and am fascinated by each of them.  They bring such an interesting perspective to the bigger picture.

• Like 1

^^^ I was not aware of this 421-A  exemption concerning property taxes in NYC.  That is just insane that these super expensive condos have little or no property tax bills.  NYC has perhaps the most unfair and regressive property tax scheme in the USA.  I know of no other place that offers tax breaks like that that carry to new expensive buildings because the developer built affordable housing elsewhere.  I am all for tax breaks for affordable housing but no place in this country does what NYC does.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

May be an image of text that says 'CAN I နိ့း IN THE PART ക6 FIRE LANE? Are You Driving A Fire Truck? No Yes YES YOU CAN But/ Have My Flashers On! Are They Attached To a Fire Truck? No NO YOU CAN'T'

I wish CDOT would paint curbs to indicate availability for parking. RED: No Parking (ever), YELLOW: Loading zone/time restriction based on hours, No color: Parking legal (assuming no other temporary restriction)

Curb Colors - Transportation | seattle.gov

I will say that I like the CDOT uses "This side/other side" language on their "No Parking" signs. Seattle used to use "No Parking North of Sign" which was sometimes confusing to interpret.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davidclt said:

I wish CDOT would paint curbs to indicate availability for parking. RED: No Parking (ever), YELLOW: Loading zone/time restriction based on hours, No color: Parking legal (assuming no other temporary restriction)

Curb Colors - Transportation | seattle.gov

I will say that I like the CDOT uses "This side/other side" language on their "No Parking" signs. Seattle used to use "No Parking North of Sign" which was sometimes confusing to interpret.

The curb paint made parking so easy! Is it red? Can't park there. Is it yellow? Maybe I can, depends on the hours. Easy!

• Like 1

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

The curb paint made parking so easy! Is it red? Can't park there. Is it yellow? Maybe I can, depends on the hours. Easy!

I was the master of the yellow curb evenings and weekends! Around Seattle Center was always a bit tricky I have horrid traffic light karma but generally good parking karma.

• Like 2