Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

34 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

It’s days like these where it’s 65 and sunny that really make me think, with Charlotte’s desirable climate why don’t we invest more in outdoor entertainment?
Growing up in South Florida, there’s always something to do outdoors. There’s a plethora of public water parks, pools, nature reserves, and playgrounds. During  the months of May-September the climate of Charlotte is almost identical to that of Florida. Even though the weather is still around 70 degrees in Florida during the winter, most water activities are closed, just like they would be in Charlotte. Therefore, with similar operating patterns, why can’t we achieve something like an artificial lagoon like this one recently built… 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiksq698vX1AhX7q3IEHWluBL4Qjhx6BAgBEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.orlandoweekly.com%2FBlogs%2Farchives%2F2018%2F12%2F10%2Ffloridas-first-man-made-clear-water-lagoon-opened-last-weekend&psig=AOvVaw1hnkBc1tpdIDjVvZ_caWe9&ust=1644608559813286

If not water related, we still have such an excellent climate yet a drastic deprivation of public parks and activities that everyone can do.  Not everyone can afford to go to Carowind’s on a hot summer day, and nor should that be the only offering for outdoor fun during the summer. Just my two cents!

Here is a story about the same developer in Charlotte, clearly this never came to fruition but it’s a nice pipe-dream rendering..

https://www.wbtv.com/story/31187888/are-crystal-lagoons-headed-to-charlotte/

My firm is working on a couple projects with crystal lagoons but nothing in Charlotte. No reason they couldn't work here, you just need the space. It would need to be part of a big development, you can't really just put one by itself somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 6:03 PM, kermit said:

Oscar Mayer wiener mobile spotted in Dilworth this afternoon. 

Pretty sure this makes us world class…

I saw one of those in Burlington (NC) several years ago, good to know that we are keeping pace in that regard.

On another note.  Is anyone else getting constant Captcha popups every time they visit another page on UP?  I used to get them sporadically, but now they pop up pretty much anytime I navigate to another page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

I saw one of those in Burlington (NC) several years ago, good to know that we are keeping pace in that regard.

On another note.  Is anyone else getting constant Captcha popups every time they visit another page on UP?  I used to get them sporadically, but now they pop up pretty much anytime I navigate to another page.

found the russian troll bot!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I keep checking Instagram to see if the skyline is lit up in blue and yellow. I'm sure some folks here have the connections to push for that. 

It was . . . 

Disappointingly, Truist did not change from their purple scheme and Duke was white. Most everyone else was blue and gold (yellow).

Edited by davidclt

5 hours ago, davidclt said:

It was . . . 

Disappointingly, Truist did not change from their purple scheme and Duke was white. Most everyone else was blue and gold (yellow).

From my window tonight ( I can't see all the buildings): BAC HQ is Ukraine colors, Trust remains Vegas purple, the Power tower looks to be white and BAC at Legacy Union is blue only (and not Ukraine blue).

I'm not sure of the best place to put this, so I'll post it here.  I have a friend who has a small business in hand-dying hemp textiles and making pillows, etc. from that.  They moved here from Kansas City where she had a working studio/shop downtown there and at the moment she's working out of a large bonus room in their home, which is big, but still woefully undersized for what she needs and really limits how she functions.  She ideally needs ~1000sf with concrete floors, higher ceilings, access to water (bathroom inside the space not a requirement if there's a communal restroom somewhere).  She'd like it to be no more than a 20min drive from their home (Foxcroft).  I figured there may be some commercial real estate people here that might be interested in chatting with her.  Anyone who wants to/can help, please DM me.

Thanks!

• Like 3

There was a somewhat sizeable police presence on Church in front of the Grand Bohemian a little after two this afternoon.  Looked to be around eight patrol vehicles with officers lingering around the entire stretch of the building.  Don't think it was too serious since they had the far left lane open for vehicles to slowly squeeze by.  It's just a little surreal these days when you come across something like that.  Your mind can't help but go to something kinda crazy now. 

On topic for Urban Planet but out of Charlotte orbit: Greenville, SC. Went there some years ago on a whim and was astounded what I found. With a great day for a Sunday drive we visited again. Greenville has won many awards for downtown renovation and it has earned all of them.

How Greenville brought the downtown back. Mayor Max Heller in the late 1970's was the key person with vision.

http://www.saveourgateways.com/HowGreenville.php

Just a few photos to give a sense of the place. Worth the drive. Many shops, all kinds of retail, Bon Secours Arena close to downtown, Renovated mill along Reedy River just beyond my photos, too much to photograph.

Courtyard with a courtyard. Water wall on right side .

IMG_0782.thumb.JPG.38de5fa708c6054fef43fe5d0ed7595e.JPG

Westin from older building.

IMG_0777.thumb.JPG.066018017d9dabf9af20eb3e54edb8c0.JPG

Former court house now bookstore on ground floor and other uses above. Note street pavers here.

IMG_0778.thumb.JPG.81ffe2509e88e6d709b6dcf4a926314b.JPG

One of these figures is a statue.

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.b6f2d452d4728e52da559f48bf6fa39f.JPG

Joel Poinsett of poinsettia fame lived here. Statue above is him.

IMG_0785.thumb.JPG.a155fe211b762504393b90d028463c00.JPG

Our lunch spot. Upper floor is bar and tables open to weather on good days, such as today. 

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.3424f1cd95aa448d58bc9a6e4f76dd1d.JPG

People everywhere. All kinds, ages, colors. Westin is just behind the crowd.

IMG_0784.thumb.JPG.650c8f7f038bface3f42c46a48e024bd.JPG

All kinds of transportation. Another electric cart seen, several bicycles, including a recumbent. Several public parking garages with reasonable rates and first hour free.

IMG_0787.thumb.JPG.2fefbfe4f82beab14aeb3e2cb8a76ed3.JPG

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 3:24 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

My firm is working on a couple projects with crystal lagoons but nothing in Charlotte. No reason they couldn't work here, you just need the space. It would need to be part of a big development, you can't really just put one by itself somewhere.

I saw one of the Crystal Lagoons in suburban Houston and it was beautiful.  (Balmoral)  I do wish someone would do that here.  

https://balmoralhouston.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

About to be some bargains on NYC's Billionaire row.   Those tall skinny towers about to get cheaper.   Large number of new listings in the last week!  Russian elites seem to be willing to quickly get rid of their properties.  

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/nyc-luxury-real-estate-market-russian-sellers-liquidating-sanctions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone here have any experience with WeWork in Charlotte?   I have never booked before but might be this Friday.  I see two locations Uptown (128 S Tryon and the Regions tower on stonewall).  Do yall prefer one location over the other?.  Do they have desks where you can hookup to multiple monitors?  Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Does anyone here have any experience with WeWork in Charlotte?   I have never booked before but might be this Friday.  I see two locations Uptown (128 S Tryon and the Regions tower on stonewall).  Do yall prefer one location over the other?.  Do they have desks where you can hookup to multiple monitors?  Thanks for the help!

I have only visited but the Regions tower so can’t help with the tech question but it has a pretty great patio available to Weworkers. 

• Like 1