Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Savannah last month and we may not have the retail strength of places like this, however, I was wondering the status of our social districts? I know everyone doesn’t partake in adult beverages but I find it a good way to attract ppl to areas and completely changes the vibe/energy if you allow people to walk around with beverages. It’s pretty convenient to get a Togo beer/cocktail from whichever restaurant/bar you’re at and keep it moving to the next location. I mean let’s be honest too, come game day (whether it’s panthers, hornets, etc) everywhere is a social district for some ppl lol. I think cmpd have been pretty lenient too as long as it’s in a solo cup or something and you’re not obnoxiously drunk. But officially it would be cool if we could solidify some boundaries of certain places in Charlotte for these districts. Stretches in south end come to mind of course. Back when the epicentre was in its prime, I enjoyed events like Alive after 5 where you could basically walk around the whole complex with drinks. Everything within 277 a social district? Too much lol? Either way, I would like to see some movement on this. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

51 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Visited Savannah last month and in Charleston now…we may not have the retail strength of these two places obviously, however, I was wondering the status of our social districts? I know everyone doesn’t partake in adult beverages but I find it a good way to attract ppl to areas and completely changes the vibe/energy if you allow people to walk around with beverages. It’s pretty convenient to get a Togo beer/cocktail from whichever restaurant/bar you’re at and keep it moving to the next location. I mean let’s be honest too, come game day (whether it’s panthers, hornets, etc) everywhere is a social district for some ppl lol. I think cmpd have been pretty lenient too as long as it’s in a solo cup or something and you’re not obnoxiously drunk. But officially it would be cool if we could solidify some boundaries of certain places in Charlotte for these districts. Stretches in south end come to mind of course. Back when the epicentre was in its prime, I enjoyed events like Alive after 5 where you could basically walk around the whole complex with drinks. Everything within 277 a social district? Too much lol? Either way, I would like to see some movement on this. 

Social districts were banned in North Carolina until very recently. The pandemic motivated the legislature to ease the restrictions and pass a modified law in September 2021. Charlotte can now move forward with a social district with a bit of planning. Some of the state requirements are clear signage and maps posted at all boundaries / entries to the district, trash cans at all entrances, filing a noise plan with the state ABC, and using a state-approved ABC to-go cup at all restaurants in the district doing to-go drinks. Given it has only been a few months since the law changed, I think the city just hasn't had time to put a plan together, but I definitely agree I could see it happening.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a bunch of blimp like airships. Maybe I’ll add some flights to Charlotte 

8A8187D6-6B40-4D13-933E-F47B46A4C0FE.jpeg.0882b7c3943efc42d208692c5eaa1fc0.jpeg

This European airline just ordered a fleet of airships

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airlander-10-air-nostrum/index.html?utm_content=2022-06-16T17%3A30%3A35&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0Eb6tv3Ti7m5wgmfSY1WPMFc2m3rFubimz6BlV3QpU9F-WtRksIX3p_L4&fs=e&s=cl

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Haha 2

I was enjoying the waterfront park in Southport, NC when one of these big boys left Wilmington and came downriver to make the curve oceanward. I believe the ship has a harbor master on the bridge (piloting) at that point. It was quite the show and the view became more relaxed and serene as the ship melted into the watery horizon.

• Like 3

Savannah is the 4th largest container port in the USA and Georgia rightly so pours lots of money in it.   To me it is far superior to Charleston port facilities for rail and highway access.  That being said Wilmington is growing in container shipments as it is nowhere near congested as Charleston or Savannah.  Their turn around on a container ship to truck is incredible in Wilmington in terms of speed.   At one point this past spring there were 30-40 container ships off shore at Savannah which like Wilmington is a more of a river port.    We won't ever rival Savannah which is the #1 port in the southeast or even Charleston but we can grow the business.    Even if some of these giant container ships call of the port it still helps and their ship traffic is up in recent years.  

https://ncports.com/port-facilities/port-of-wilmington/

NC Ports has built up arefrigerated  business which helps with food imports and exports. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Does anyone know if an Atlanta version of Charlotte's UP? Atl doesn't seem active and I just moved here

there is an UP there but very dead 

I subscribe to these ATL newsletters to keep up

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/

Tomorrows News Day Atlanta   (because I can't wait until tomorrow)   https://www.tonetoatl.com/

then I read the Atlanta Business Chronicle and you can get their headlines daily https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/

In this region good and bad what happens in Atlanta comes here eventually.  

Ask people there what they know about Charlotte.  My Atlanta friends which I have many, know all about Charlotte because of me mainly but others think we are really small (like Columbia SC or Greensboro size) 

• Like 2

“Opponents from both parties spoke against the bill, citing the Bible, calling it morally wrong and warning of heavy societal costs associated with legalizing gambling.” - those first two reasons have no grounds. Separation of Church and State is imperative. Last time I checked the constitution is law not the Bible… geez southern politics is plagued by this lack of boundaries.

• Thanks 1

The North Carolina Lottery went back and forth over several annual sessions, eventually seeming to have sufficient support for passage in 2005. Yet the Senate was still two votes short of approval. The leader of the Senate said since this was the sole remaining bill on the agenda and that holding the members continuously for what seemed a vote against he would call for adjournment the next morning and end the session. Everyone packed and prepared to leave as soon as they could. The next morning came and two of the opponents did not appear in the Senate chamber. The adjournment was disregarded and a vote was quickly taken. The result was 24-24 (50 senators at that time) and Bev Perdue, the Lieutenant Governor broke the tie for Governor* Mike Easley and the bill passed. 

There was more hog manure disguised as sausage about the lottery during this same session but this event above was the deciding event.

I always wondered what reward one receives for not showing for work.

• Haha 2

Random thought of the day. How in the world is this lot still not redeveloped yet? Block from gateway station, block from gold line, only blank lot left facing romare, would have an absolutely fantastic view inside knights stadium…I mean damn seems like a no brainer lot to me. I imagine a One Cardinal Way project like in St. Louis overlooking the ballpark. Friend has a spot there and it’s incredible. 
4600C356-4B71-4332-A02B-FF73505D73F1.thumb.jpeg.bad4faa998c6dc57a1c7265976f2e44c.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Random thought of the day. How in the world is this lot still not redeveloped yet? Block from gateway station, block from gold line, only blank lot left facing romare, would have an absolutely fantastic view inside knights stadium…I mean damn seems like a no brainer lot to me. I imagine a One Cardinal Way project like in St. Louis overlooking the ballpark. Friend has a spot there and it’s incredible. 

Looks like that block is chopped up between 5 different owners and has a really peculiar easement wrapping through the block that I can't explain - probably related to buildings demolished long ago. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Looks like that block is chopped up between 5 different owners and has a really peculiar easement wrapping through the block that I can't explain - probably related to buildings demolished long ago. 

Interesting! I know that small building on the bottom right of the lot used to be some sort of signs store…not sure if that’s still there. Greens lunch is a staple and wouldn’t want that demolished. Think there is some restaurant space next to greens that has cycled through several restaurant names. Just think a tower on that corner would complete the Romare canyon effect and would be a really cool experience standing in the park.