Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Pretty cool interactive map of New Deal projects and artworks. Beware the map does not include all New Deal projects. The nationwide scope allows us to see that NC didn't really get its share of projects (compare us to Mississippi). We have long gotten the short straw for federal project money (see the interstate highway system).

https://livingnewdeal.org/map/

I pasted one Charlotte project below:

Charlotte Douglas International Airport - Charlotte NC

Address: 5501 Josh Birmingham Parkway, Charlotte, NC, 28208

Description: In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted funds for a 3 runway airport in Charlotte. Charlotte's major airport was built between 1935 and 1937. The WPA also built the Douglas...

Completion Date: 1937

Category: Airports

Agency: Works Progress Administration (WPA)

On 6/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, tarhoosier said:

The North Carolina Lottery went back and forth over several annual sessions, eventually seeming to have sufficient support for passage in 2005. Yet the Senate was still two votes short of approval. The leader of the Senate said since this was the sole remaining bill on the agenda and that holding the members continuously for what seemed a vote against he would call for adjournment the next morning and end the session. Everyone packed and prepared to leave as soon as they could. The next morning came and two of the opponents did not appear in the Senate chamber. The adjournment was disregarded and a vote was quickly taken. The result was 24-24 (50 senators at that time) and Bev Perdue, the Lieutenant Governor broke the tie for Governor* Mike Easley and the bill passed. 

There was more hog manure disguised as sausage about the lottery during this same session but this event above was the deciding event.

I always wondered what reward one receives for not showing for work.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

On 6/23/2022 at 4:43 PM, JeanClt said:

“Opponents from both parties spoke against the bill, citing the Bible, calling it morally wrong and warning of heavy societal costs associated with legalizing gambling.” - those first two reasons have no grounds. Separation of Church and State is imperative. Last time I checked the constitution is law not the Bible… geez southern politics is plagued by this lack of boundaries.

Sports betting is going to be passed in the NC. The lack of will is coming from others (weirdly hyper-religious conservative Democrats) who aren't going to be lasting much longer in the NCGA. I give it another year or two and it will be passed into law. 

• Like 3

this is great first commercial Carolina Gold rice farm in the state in 120 years!  In Pamlico County near Oriental in NC's inner banks region.

https://tidewatergrain.com/

Let me know if you see this rice here in Charlotte.    I see that several restaurants are serving their rice in Charlotte including Haymaker uptown and 300 East. 

Support local means local farmers too. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jednc said:

Does anyone know a place in Charlotte to get good Chicago style pizza? I recently visited and was reminded how much I love that style of pizza. I'm talking deep dish and charred/caramelized edges, 

I moved to chicago 5 months ago and let me tell you chicago pizza is overrated.  I’ll take East Coast any day over chicago pizza.  And I’m not just talking about deep dish.  Boston, Buffalo, NY, NJ all have better pizza.  Even Charlotte. In Chicago the crust is too buttery, the sauce has no spices and the cheese is like rubbery.  Not sure what the hype is/was.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I moved to chicago 5 months ago and let me tell you chicago pizza is overrated.  I’ll take East Coast any day over chicago pizza.  And I’m not just talking about deep dish.  Boston, Buffalo, NY, NJ all have better pizza.  Even Charlotte. In Chicago the crust is too buttery, the sauce has no spices and the cheese is like rubbery.  Not sure what the hype is/was.  

Last summer we had some great pizza in Chicago.  We went here and their pizzas are more like popover/calzones.  They come out looking like a muffin in these big ramekins and they turn them over and serve them to you at the table.  I hadn’t ever had anything remotely like it.  It was great.

https://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com

5 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Last summer we had some great pizza in Chicago.  We went here and their pizzas are more like popover/calzones.  They come out looking like a muffin in these big ramekins and they turn them over and serve them to you at the table.  I hadn’t ever had anything remotely like it.  It was great.

https://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com

I’m willing to try this place just like I was willing to try Giordano’s, Lou Malnati’s, Paquod’s, and a ton of other spots here.  The only one I liked was Sarpino’s and that’s because they had an east coast style pan crust.  I think what it comes down to is that I just don’t like the deep dish style.  It’s just too much.  But even the thin crust isn’t that great.  I’ll keep trying lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jednc said:

Does anyone know a place in Charlotte to get good Chicago style pizza? I recently visited and was reminded how much I love that style of pizza. I'm talking deep dish and charred/caramelized edges, 

Delete, looks like my suggestion isn't doing pizza at the moment  :tw_cry:

Edited by davidclt

16 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I’m willing to try this place just like I was willing to try Giordano’s, Lou Malnati’s, Paquod’s, and a ton of other spots here.  The only one I liked was Sarpino’s and that’s because they had an east coast style pan crust.  I think what it comes down to is that I just don’t like the deep dish style.  It’s just too much.  But even the thin crust isn’t that great.  I’ll keep trying lol

Tough life. 

• Haha 1

In my 100+ year old Dilworth house I was in the basement attempting to remove a natural gas pipe that had been unused for decades. I wanted to clear some headroom. It was a dead line leading to a room heater gas jet for the home used prior to central heat. There was no current connection to existing gas lines or appliances for that line. When I removed one of the fittings the gas smell was instant and distinct. Rather, the mercaptan, the chemical which gives the gas its smell. After several hours and no change in smell I realized that smell was so seeped into the pipe that there was no dissipation possible within the time span I could anticipate. I recoupled the pipe and decided to leave it for the next owner to resolve.

I sold the house "as-is" and my neighbor who saw the new owner's inspection agent visit told me he was there for 4-5 hours.  Likely many, many pages of not-up-to-date conditions and issues.

I randomly came across the Garth Brooks interview about his two performances this weekend. One very, very interesting tidbit he said was that he would have wanted a full stadium on of those nights. Apparently, Tepper & Co would only allow the lower bowl  and field for seating arrangements. I just assumed the entire stadium was open for seating. Garth noted costs as the reason from management I think. Didn’t seem upset about it but did mention would have been a spectacular environment with the entire stadium full. Just imagine Charlotte fc first home game with almost 75k vs now with just the lower bowl. Big difference. Also, with all the cancellations and how long the city had to wait for this reschedule, why the hell would Tep limit a mega star from utilizing the entire stadium? He would have sold out the whole thing too.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
Add vid
  • Like 1

According to Charlotte Observer:

As he explained during a press conference earlier in the day — and I’m paraphrasing here, but — after the Charlotte tour date was canceled and then re-booked, his team got a lot of social-media feedback from fans complaining about how they’d scored good seats the first time but wound up with not-so-good ones on their second try. So Brooks’ folks struck a unique deal with the venue: to do two shows instead of one and to close the upper bowl for both, saving it the cost of staffing a vast portion of the stadium while at the same time sparing fans from having to settle for nosebleed seats.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article263278328.html#storylink=cpy

Ah that makes sense. Glad it worked out and that’s cool of him to do two shows back to back in the same city. Not sure that has been done on his stadium tour or not? Still would have liked to seen the upper level open at least one of those nights. It’s a stadium tour, gotta pack the venue and make it look big time, plus it would have allowed ppl to purchase cheaper tickets who wouldn’t mind sitting in the nosebleeds. 

• Like 1

for those of you who don't like our current urban environment in the US and other western cities here is your chance to live in something else.  (of course it is in Saudi Arabia)  Welcome to Mirror Line! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/27/saudis-unveil-eye-popping-plan-for-mirrored-skyscraper-eco-city

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/26/1113670047/saudi-arabia-new-city-the-mirror-line-desert

https://manofmany.com/living/architecture/mirror-line-worlds-longest-skyscraper

Maybe we could wage bets if this even gets started within 5 years....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How well do y’all think this would do in Charlotte?

https://locations.tacobell.com/mn/brooklyn-park/5931-94th-ave-n.html?utm_source=yext&utm_campaign=googlelistings&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=039130&utm_content=website&y_source=1_MzkyNTc0NTItNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU%3D

I just recently had the chance to try it out - it was suuuper slick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ8hep said:

How well do y’all think this would do in Charlotte?

https://locations.tacobell.com/mn/brooklyn-park/5931-94th-ave-n.html?utm_source=yext&utm_campaign=googlelistings&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=039130&utm_content=website&y_source=1_MzkyNTc0NTItNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU%3D

I just recently had the chance to try it out - it was suuuper slick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a kitchen up above with drive-through lanes below, right? And it's mobile-only ordering? Or can you order there at the building?

It's a kitchen up above with drive-through lanes below, right? And it's mobile-only ordering? Or can you order there at the building?

Yeah, the food is delivered down to us like how banks used to have their tube systems. Mostly mobile order based but there was a conventional drive through on one of the lanes. I can’t remember if there was a walk-in portion though.
  • Like 1