Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

On the way home from DQ I went Morris Field and saw the former Plato Price Habitat project underground utilities were ready to be placed. Much grading done and conduits and sewer sections on site. 

Also, across the street from Plato Price on Connelly Circle there is new residential construction and I "think" this is an affordable housing project as my search returns some information from the last two years with something about that place and name. Connelly Creek Apartments says Accela. Anyone with more information please chime in.

edit: this site has trained me to be alert for such things. 

Edited by tarhoosier

• 2 weeks later...

1) So perhaps some of the UP folks who migrated to twitter will be more frequent visitors over here again?

2) Setting $44 billion aflame will certainly reduce inflation

3) The WSJ reports that BoA is carrying several billion in Twitter bonds that it was unable to resell (not the end of the world, some is collateralized,  but, oops)

Banks, including Morgan Stanley and Bank of America Corp., that together put up $13 billion of their own money for debt in Twitter, could also see losses. The banks had to place the debt on their books as they couldn’t sell the bonds fast enough to a wider group of investors.

They, however, have some safety nets. Roughly $10 billion of the $13 billion in debt is backed by specific assets, ensuring that they would be paid back, even if not in full.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pro-take-musk-warns-of-a-potential-twitter-bankruptcy-he-would-be-the-big-loser-11668191472

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

Just now, NCMike1990 said:

That one building has signage for Advance Auto Parts. That surprised me. Guessing that's their corporate HQ. I didn't even know they were based in Raleigh. I just found out they relocated from Roanoke, VA to Raleigh back in 2018.

Yes it is the only Fortune 500 company based in Raleigh but they have a few F 1000 companies headquartered there.    I did not know you could see that sign LOL.   When you round the Beltline in Raleigh it looks like downtown Raleigh with that Eastern apartment tower 35 stories tall as the centerpiece.  

• Like 2

So about a month ago my wife's car got dinged while parked on the street in front of our house. They left a note and she called. Turns out the dinger was working for  a local film who was dropping off Ewan McGregor (Obie-Wan Kenobi himself (if you are under 50), or Mark Renton (if you are over 50)) at his air b&b. Ewan stayed in Dilworth for about a month while filming Mother Couch. Since he was just across the street, my wife (with Scottish roots) was super thrilled about all this. His also very famous wife was here for a couple of days at the start (and I was super thrilled about that).
For a big star he was a very quiet neighbor. He did wheel back his emptied trash and recycling bins and he spent quite a bit of time walking or running through Dilworth. There were a couple of days where I saw him leave the house on foot with a backpack in the morning and he didn't return until after dark. This is slightly less creepy than it all sounds, my desk overlooks the street and I am easily distracted by whatever is happening across the street.  We didn't chat. I hope he had a pleasant time. Was exciting for the neighbors who all did their best to be cool. 
Car is still dinged though...

I saw for a week them filming across the street but never got to see Ewan. That’s awesome!! Haha what a story! Sorry about your car though…
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So about a month ago my wife's car got dinged while parked on the street in front of our house. They left a note and she called. Turns out the dinger was working for  a local film who was dropping off Ewan McGregor (Obie-Wan Kenobi himself (if you are under 50), or Mark Renton (if you are over 50)) at his air b&b. Ewan stayed in Dilworth for about a month while filming Mother Couch. Since he was just across the street, my wife (with Scottish roots) was super thrilled about all this. His also very famous wife was here for a couple of days at the start (and I was super thrilled about that).

For a big star he was a very quiet neighbor. He did wheel back his emptied trash and recycling bins and he spent quite a bit of time walking or running through Dilworth. There were a couple of days where I saw him leave the house on foot with a backpack in the morning and he didn't return until after dark. This is slightly less creepy than it all sounds, my desk overlooks the street and I am easily distracted by whatever is happening out there.  We didn't chat. I hope he had a pleasant time. Was exciting for the neighbors who all did their best to be cool. 

Car is still dinged though...

he will always be Christian from Moulin Rouge to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Move over DC Metro… It’s MUNI’s time to shine. 

Underground Streetcar (MUNI metro) opened up in San Francisco today (Central Subway) 

Pictures from Twitter, some pre-revenue. 

F2E59FCE-E9E6-4ADC-8ABB-36737FB27BFC.thumb.jpeg.16eaef45297aa6cfbdea1cbd7174a080.jpeg45815025-684B-4A7C-8181-61B0FA9BF8A7.jpeg.d1a092f6e27ea270485ff5163b33536f.jpegF68C02BC-E422-45CB-8FBA-B3369EE67C18.thumb.jpeg.b1efe5d856d3b7e67637c08ce84c4f03.jpeg950B0E92-D882-4FDF-B016-A819F01720A8.thumb.jpeg.224b08892deb9013c5cf9bfda789b794.jpeg

imagine that uptown…

I hope it stays that nice. This looks like something in Europe or Asia. (Though I've been on some gritty platforms in Europe too) San Francisco definitely has some issue with crime in their downtown. Chinatown was already pretty gritty last I visited in 2015, and while it was cool, I can't imagine the station under it looking this clean and shiny for too long. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made the annual visit to McAdenville for the lights tonight. I recommend it for those who have not gone before. It is a living historical reminder of our past, 67 years now. For families, children, visitors it is especially good. One is never too old for this experience.

Pro tips: Go early. Later departure means more time in traffic. Leave central Charlotte 4:30-4:45. Adjust departure time depending on your origin location. Use Wilkinson/74 avoid 85. Expect traffic. Be patient. You will arrive around 5:30 pm just as lights illuminate. Avoid weekend (Fri-Sun). If you arrive early pull into the elementary school and wait for the few minutes necessary for the full effect. Experienced visitors will extinguish their headlights and use parking lights only as they idle through town. Windows down as there is music at a few locations and some townsfolk and drive-thru cars will shout Merry Christmas.

If you want more you can make a U-turn at the I-85 end of the town and see it the other direction before your return.

I saw something new this year. In one of the new homes between the school and the mill pond there was an upstairs window with a replica of the lamp from the movie "A Christmas Story". "It was a MAJOR award."

@Temeteronmentioned here some time ago Estia's Kouzina in Belmont , Main Street between 74 and 85 as a fine quality Greek and greek-American restaurant and it has become our post visit dining location. (Greek knows greek). 

• Thanks 1

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-in-republican-counties-have-higher-death-rates-than-those-in-democratic-counties/

I predicted Trump would lose the election due to covid death and disability in states with a margin narrow enough to turn the difference.

Statistic critics fire away.

• Like 2