Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I made it back to the weekly Code Pink anti-war vigil today. We were a small gathering. There is dissension in our ranks. The Clinton supporters have stopped participating because more people in our group are Obama fans. Really a microcosm if the Democratic Party at large. I hope we can unify now.

I made it back to the weekly Code Pink anti-war vigil today. We were a small gathering. There is dissension in our ranks. The Clinton supporters have stopped participating because more people in our group are Obama fans. Really a microcosm if the Democratic Party at large. I hope we can unify now.

Why would that matter? I thought Code Pink was about ending the war, not supporting Clinton or Obama. To me, that just reeks of people with other agendas or are there just to be seen.

Anyone else on roadrunner because I think they just increased the download speeds recently :)

It definately seems like that is the case, call and make sure you didn't get put on Roadrunner basic without asking, I know a few people who were put on basic and charged for standard. Everything moves so slow for me now.

Why would that matter? I thought Code Pink was about ending the war, not supporting Clinton or Obama. To me, that just reeks of people with other agendas or are there just to be seen.

I agree with you. The race does not play a role in our vigils. We started talking about politics one night after walking back to our cars. The Clinton supporters got very angry about being outnumbered and never came back. In the end though we are all Democrats and the disaffected will come home in the end as they say.

Edited by voyager12

Standard cust. went from 5Mbps to 7Mbps D/L and Turbo went from 8Mbps to 10Mbps D/L.

Guess I Missunderstood what Raintree21 said, but mine still seems like it got much slower.

Standard cust. went from 5Mbps to 7Mbps D/L and Turbo went from 8Mbps to 10Mbps D/L.

Where did you get this info from? I went to their website but they still list the old speeds (that I could find). I'm on the turbo plan for the increased upload speeds. I wonder if the U/L speed changed as well (I'm guessing not since they're stingy)?

Well, I did some research on BroadbandReports.com and apparently the upload speeds are the same for the turbo service (512Kb). Too bad that Time Warner is so stingy with the upload speeds. Many of us now have VOIP and online backup services now that could really utilize higher speeds. I honestly wouldn't mind paying another $10 to get double the upload speeds (to 1Mb) but I doubt they're interested in doing that.

At least we're not having our bandwidth capped yet (hopefully we won't ever) like is being done as a trial in Texas. Imagine having to pay per GB for anything over say 10GB of bandwidth each month. I'm certainly a culprit of going over that amount.

Anyone else on roadrunner because I think they just increased the download speeds recently :)

My pages do seem to be popping up quicker these past few days. I recall getting a automated call from TimeWarner earlier this week about them upgrading their system so perhaps that had to do with this.

Am I a horrible person for disliking funeral processions? They clog up traffic and take the police away from patrol. The person in the hearse does not care...since they are dead! I don't want one when I die. They are being banned in some states because they have caused accidents. I suppose the idea of a motorcade is to honor the deceased but I just don't see it that way. My parents want to be cremated and tossed into the ocean, I am thinking that's a good idea for me as well. A traffic jam is not my idea of a noble sendoff to wherever we go after our time here is up.

Edited by voyager12

^ I think it all the time, everyone else probably does too, so you only said what many are thinking. :) I kind of like the idea of a Viking funeral, put my body on a small boat of some kind and put me out to sea (or a lake, obviously I won't be picky) and let it burn. Of course I think that is illegal here.

Edited by nowensone

Am I a horrible person for disliking funeral processions? They clog up traffic and take the police away from patrol. The person in the hearse does not care...since they are dead! I don't want one when I die. They are being banned in some states because they have caused accidents. I suppose the idea of a motorcade is to honor the deceased but I just don't see it that way. My parents want to be cremated and tossed into the ocean, I am thinking that's a good idea for me as well. A traffic jam is not my idea of a noble sendoff to wherever we go after our time here is up.

It does not take the police away from their patrols. Funeral processions are handled by the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office, not CMPD, and they do not patrol. Their only duties are serving warrants/court notices, running the jails, and funeral processions (I'm sure there are a few other minor details I forgot).

This is one thing that still exists in the South. Hospitality and respect for others, to include honoring the dead and their bereaved family. So you get held up a couple of minutes while the processions passes. So what? The memory of your respect to them and their loved one may last the rest of their life and provide a small consolation to them.

Edited by Raintree21

It does not take the police away from their patrols. Funeral processions are handled by the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office, not CMPD, and they do not patrol. Their only duties are serving warrants/court notices, running the jails, and funeral processions (I'm sure there are a few other minor details I forgot).

This is one thing that still exists in the South. Hospitality and respect for others, to include honoring the dead and their bereaved family. So you get held up a couple of minutes while the processions passes. So what? The memory of your respect to them and their loved one may last the rest of their life and provide a small consolation to them.

I am a native of North Carolina and raised in a Methodist church and I have never understood this very odd custom. How could it provide consolation to someone whom I don't know and who does not know me? I know people feel strongly about this custom but I just don't get it. To me, it seems to be a demand that anyone within vision feel sorry for them. Ugh. I mean, I wouldn't whip in and out of their procession but neither do I feel compelled to stop and pull over, good grief. And unless I am mistaken this is not required by law, just a very odd custom.

When I go I also want to be cremated (my rant on the undertakers is for another time) and please scatter my ashes, thanks.

^I just had a relative die this past month and I can say (at least for me) that I was very glad to see people stopping/slowing down for the procession as we passed by. Sure most of those people did not know my grandfather and vice versa, but it still shows that people have a little respect for others and gives you at least a little hope for mankind. All of the people that stopped only did so for about 15 seconds, so I don't think it would have ruined anyone's day. I can see the argument for being in a hurry and this sort of thing getting in the way and on your nerves, but in the grand scheme of things, I think it does more good than harm.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently noticed several vandalized Obama yard signs mostly along Thomas in PlazaMidwood. There are Obama signs still planted all over Charlotte for the general election and I have not seen damage anywhere else in town. Odd. I guess bored kids are the culprits.

The procession is more about allowing the group to arrive at the funeral site together. It really sucks to hold up a burial because someone was caught up in traffic; even worse to proceed without someone.

The procession is more about allowing the group to arrive at the funeral site together. It really sucks to hold up a burial because someone was caught up in traffic; even worse to proceed without someone.

I've never understood why you have a service at the church or funeral home then a processional to a graveside service. I've always lived in the south and I understand that this is the way it is done. I'm cool with the respectful sendoff for the deceased and don't mind stopping for the procession, but why two services? Anyone know the origin of this custom?

I've never understood why you have a service at the church or funeral home then a processional to a graveside service. I've always lived in the south and I understand that this is the way it is done. I'm cool with the respectful sendoff for the deceased and don't mind stopping for the procession, but why two services? Anyone know the origin of this custom?

Probably one in the church because that's most like a church service. Then, one at the gravesite-the deceased just can't be plopped into the ground without a few more words being said. Actually, I think it's more like one long, extended service.

I'm more at ease with two services than I am with the stop-and-genuflect, hat-over-heart for someone you never met approach to the funeral procession.

Has anyone here been to the Mecklenburg region of Germany? Are there similarities?

Travel there prior to 1991 would most likely have been very difficult because it was part of the DDR (East Germany behind the Soviet Iron Curtain) Charlotte is named after Queen Charlotte of this territory.