Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I was clearing out a lot of old documents/files from my computer today and came upon this photo of two storefronts (without a building) I took a little over five years ago with a "primitive" camera phone. I'm not sure where it is though I tend to think it's on the Carolina Theatre/Encore parking lot on Tryon. I don't think they do, but do these storefronts exist? When I took the photo, it appeared they were restoring them.

Set11_14.jpg

I was clearing out a lot of old documents/files from my computer today and came upon this photo of two storefronts (without a building) I took a little over five years ago with a "primitive" camera phone. I'm not sure where it is though I tend to think it's on the Carolina Theatre/Encore parking lot on Tryon. I don't think they do, but do these storefronts exist? When I took the photo, it appeared they were restoring them.

Set11_14.jpg

I think your guess is correct about it being the Carolina Theatre. The openings are boarded up and painted right now.

I remember when seeing a Prius in Charlotte was a novelty. These days more and more are appearing. I hear there are months long waiting lists out the door for them at local dealers. Same with Minis and Vespas. Mopeds are great but just for me I would not feel safe using one in most of Charlotte. If I never left Dilworth and could stick to side streets that's one thing. I think they are best suited for older cities with grids like Charleston where traffic has to be slower because of narrow streets.

So Duke just announced its participation in NC Green Power, but the press release has left me pretty confused. If I'm already paying into NC Green Power, is there any reason to sign up through Duke? It sounds like they're offering a limited - very limited - matching program, otherwise it wasn't obvious that I should change over to duke or not.

Real or rumor? I heard that a "minor emergency center" is going in at the old Flooring Today location (S. Blvd & E. Park) in South End/Dilworth. Has anyone heard the same? This would have made a great Trader Joe location with it's proximity to the blue line and all the new apartments & condos being built along the line.

Real or rumor? I heard that a "minor emergency center" is going in at the old Flooring Today location (S. Blvd & E. Park) in South End/Dilworth. Has anyone heard the same? This would have made a great Trader Joe location with it's proximity to the blue line and all the new apartments & condos being built along the line.

Haven't heard anything about that but it's a great location for an Urgent Care. There aren't any anywhere near downtown so the area is lagging in coverage for minor medical problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me way too long since I have been commenting on this site since 05 ( can't believe that!) but I just ordered my UP bumper sticker from the Cafepress store. Beep at me if you see me. Although I do often ignore people since I get some unfriendly gestures because of my bumper sticker assortment :dontknow:

• 3 months later...

The Elizabeth Pumpkin Wall is up on Lamar Ave and will be officially dedicated tomorrow at 7pm. I think Harry Taylor is going to be the official lighter. Given the political bent of the neighborhood the display has a history of advocating for liberal causes . The Kerry Wall made it into the The New York Times. Guess the theme this year?

The bias has rubbed some people the wrong way but it's on private property and not affiliated with the ECA.

Edited by voyager12

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^ "affordable" is ambiguous - and "downtown" is ambigous...

I'd like to say that any of the neighborhoods on the inside ring (Noda, Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth, Op Park are downtown - because you are afforded the same amenities as living within Uptown - dinner, entertainment, transit) - and calling those areas "downtown" would mean you would be able to find something affordable. But it's my opinion that Uptown is currently not affordable - although that may change in the next year as more and more condo/apartments come online.

Good luck!

Just had a question for you Chalotteans im form Michigan thinking about a move to Charlotte next spring because of the bad economy here and lack of work just curious if it is affordable to live downtown Charlotte?

I would not buy anything in or around downtown until it has finished depreciating, unless of course you are willing to roll dice. My guess is there is going to be 50%-60% depreciation in some of these places over their high prices and you don't want to be one of the ones holding the empty bag. In regards to bad economy, keep in mind also that Charlotte's two biggest employers are still operating due to huge governmental bailouts that are infuriating the rest of America. When that well finally dries up, you might find that from an economic perspective, it might be better in Michigan. In other words, don't come here unless you already have something lined up. You will only be competing with 1000s of out of work bankers and people from other closed down companies.

Just had a question for you Chalotteans im form Michigan thinking about a move to Charlotte next spring because of the bad economy here and lack of work just curious if it is affordable to live downtown Charlotte?

I have two friends that recently moved here from Michigan, just outside Detroit. Both are construction guys and have found it fairly easy to find work. They are doing small jobs and remodeling, though, not the full new home construction they anticipated. As for affordability, it is all dependant upon what you want. There are uptown efficiencies as low as $145,000, and 2 and 3 bedrdoom units from $225,000 - $350,000. If you want or need bigger, it is there. About 80% of uptown properties are under $500,000, 65% under $350,000. If you want bigger in general, look outside uptown. Prices diminish the further you go out unless you want to live on a golf course, in a McMansion development, or on one of the lakes. All markets in Charlotte have seen a downturn in sales -- none excluded -- and some have had depreciation in fairly high numbers, others have stayed steady, and a handful of areas have seen some appreciation. Uptown in general, there is another thread called 'The Economy and its Effects on Charlotte' that has sales numbers from the last two years, has had some buildings with high depreciation (really only one in particular), a couple with appreciation, and most with insignificant changes up or down -- just like the city and region as a whole.

If you are asking about renting, you can find places anywhere from $600 - $700/month, average for 2 bedrooms is $1500/month, up to anything you'd like including big spaces.

Don't buy to expect appreciation, buy to enjoy where you live and make your choice based on thought about factors that might make, or not make, an area go up or down. Talk to numerous sources and read up. Choose where supply isn't way out of whack with demand. It would also be best not to buy unless you plan on being wherever you choose for at least 3 - 5 years.

Nothing has shown any particular areas of the city to be in free fall in terms of pricing other than some of the newer vinyl siding 'starter home' neighborhoods in the outskirts that have been very hard hit from foreclosures (from news reports and other sources much stemmed from lending practises of the in-house lenders for these builders).

In a nutshell, uptown or out of the city can be affordable depending on your personal situation and what type of living you want. No area is unaffected by the downturn. Actual sales don't show uptown to be having any major downturns or price drops, but that doesn't mean they won't come. Seeing what happens in March, April, May will be a big indicator for all sub-markets in the city -- traditionally Spring is the biggest sales season and December and January are the slowest. Waiting for real numbers is, IMO, the best idea before making a decision.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Thanks guys well im looking for a loft similar to what I have now. I mainly was looking downtown because I was hoping to finally ditch my car since I have to drive everywhere here but I dont have to be downtown a trendy neighborhood would work just as well. To be honest id take my chances with the job market there than here in Michigan where I have been laid off for 3 months and unemployment approaching 10%.

Thanks guys well im looking for a loft similar to what I have now. I mainly was looking downtown because I was hoping to finally ditch my car since I have to drive everywhere here but I dont have to be downtown a trendy neighborhood would work just as well. To be honest id take my chances with the job market there than here in Michigan where I have been laid off for 3 months and unemployment approaching 10%.

There are quite a few neighborhoods that surround downtown and prices vary a good bit between them. To lose the car your best bet is uptown, Southend, Dilworth, or Elizabeth (to some degree). Southend has rail that runs to uptown, the others are walkable thought a pretty decent walk. Bus services is easy from them all, and most also have employment in them or nearby depending on what you do. I have 3 friends that are car-less and live uptown and they are all very happy. They also work uptown or very close by. Uptown doesn't have all bases covered for a car-less life, but it does have groceries, movies, shopping (what it doesn't have can be accessed via rail or bus), dining, nightlife, and other small business.

Well the clock is ticking down and it does not look like TWC and Viacom are going to make a deal on carriage fees. MTV is not about music anymore but I do enjoy some of their programming like "True Life" and "Made". What I will really miss is VH1's "Best Week Ever" series. They are hilarious. And no more TV Land this sucks :angry: Not a fun way to start 09. I saw the emergency crawl on MTV and tried to call in to protest but it's been jammed all day. Not that I think it will make much of a difference.

I would not buy anything in or around downtown until it has finished depreciating, unless of course you are willing to roll dice. My guess is there is going to be 50%-60% depreciation in some of these places over their high prices and you don't want to be one of the ones holding the empty bag.

Curious as to what sort of depreciation you expect to see in other parts of Charlotte?

Well the clock is ticking down and it does not look like TWC and Viacom are going to make a deal on carriage fees. MTV is not about music anymore but I do enjoy some of their programming like "True Life" and "Made". What I will really miss is VH1's "Best Week Ever" series. They are hilarious. And no more TV Land this sucks :angry: Not a fun way to start 09. I saw the emergency crawl on MTV and tried to call in to protest but it's been jammed all day. Not that I think it will make much of a difference.

In my opinion though Viacom seems to be the one's being the ones at more fault here because they seem to be asking for a really steep increase in fees to carry their stuff.

I wasn't sure where else to ask this:

What is going on with the area being cleared beside I-77 inside the I-277 loop? It's north of Gateway Village. The only thing I can think of or have read about is a building (apts or condos...can't remember) going in near Ray's Splash Planet. But, this cleared area seems too far north and I guess I sortof thought this project was on hold. This area is near the "backside" of NC Music Factory, but I felt like this was too far away from that to be connected. Any ideas?