Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I noticed this a couple weeks ago and asked the same question in the NCMF thread. No one responded, and the only thing I could find from a site plan was surface parking lot. Don't quote me on that though.

That would be really disappointing if that's all it turned out to be!

I guess I'm surprised there were zero homicides within the 277 loop. That's positive.

Positive but inaccurate. That map has to be wrong if it shows no murders inside the 277 loop. There was a double homicide at the corner of Cedar and Trade just a few weeks ago in a drive by shooting. My guess is, there were others too.

edit: I looked at the map...those murders I refered to above are on the map.

Edited by jednc

Positive but inaccurate. That map has to be wrong if it shows no murders inside the 277 loop. There was a double homicide at the corner of Cedar and Trade just a few weeks ago in a drive by shooting. My guess is, there were others too.

edit: I looked at the map...those murders I refered to above are on the map.

Ah yes...thanks for clarifying. I was only looking at the balloons, not the thumbtacks on the map.

I wasn't sure where else to ask this:

What is going on with the area being cleared beside I-77 inside the I-277 loop? It's north of Gateway Village. The only thing I can think of or have read about is a building (apts or condos...can't remember) going in near Ray's Splash Planet. But, this cleared area seems too far north and I guess I sortof thought this project was on hold. This area is near the "backside" of NC Music Factory, but I felt like this was too far away from that to be connected. Any ideas?

There is a thread for this buried somewhere...but Ryan Homes is building 50 townhomes very similar to what they built on South Church St. in South End. I believe they are going to start the first 25 in the next couple of months.

Ah yes...thanks for clarifying. I was only looking at the balloons, not the thumbtacks on the map.

Honestly I thought CMPD had messed up when I originally posted. I wasn't really trying to correct you! I posted before I looked at the map itself. Also, I think the pushpin appeared last when I loaded that map, so that's how you might have missed it! Anyway, sorry for coming across as the correction police.

There is a thread for this buried somewhere...but Ryan Homes is building 50 townhomes very similar to what they built on South Church St. in South End. I believe they are going to start the first 25 in the next couple of months.

I do remember reading about those, but had forgotten. I don't think I realized they were this close to 77 (not that that's a bad thing). It's nice to seem some residential moving forward.

edit: Thanks for the info altrvr.

Edited by jednc

Ok, I woke up super early today because I couldn't sleep...so if this comes across as too picky, I'm sleep deprived!

I don't know how wide spread this commercial is, so many of you may not have seen it. Toyota of Lake Norman has a new commercial where they show a digital map of the US. As the camera seemingly pans across the map, and focuses on the Carolinas, a pushpin drops down to land on their location. Or at least you'd think. The pushpin lands on what I'd guess to be somewhere near Camden, SC. I can't quite figure that out. I can only think of four explanations for this...

1. They think the top of the pushpin and not the pin part itself marks their location. Even if this is the case, the top is not in the correct spot. The pin itself is what marks the spot anyway, so bad move on their part.

2. They don't proofread what's sent to them by the commercial maker.

3. They aren't sure where they are on a map.

4. They are using a recycled commercial from a Toyota dealership in the Columbia, SC area and hoped noone would notice.

I put those in order based on what I thought was probable. I don't know why stuff like that bothers me...but geez! Toyota of Lake Norman somewhere in the South Carolina Midlands?

• 2 weeks later...

Being a loner for the most part socially and professionally I tend to live inside my head way too much. I don't think I am self absorbed in an obnoxious way, I like people just not most of the time.

Anyway, I recently started visiting two older dogs on my pet sitting route. They are both disabled but still full of life. One can't moved his head all the way and has to walk sideways. The other one must have had a stroke and can't use his hind legs and goes for walks in a wheelcart for his hindquarters. In the house he just pushes himself quite contently and rapidly around the place with his front paws. They are both so damn happy all the time it really gave me a sharp kick of perspective. Which is always helpful to me. It's been truly inspiring. I will drop the Oprah emoting now.

On a completely different tack I recently joined Elance to pick up more project work. For others who may be interested it's a good resource for techs and creatives. And for those who have been laid off the freelance market is still humming for a wide range of skillsets. The Elance admissions "test" that you are required to take is intutitive and easy. After bidding on a few interesting web content projects this weekend I already have some responses. The only complaint I have is my annoyance with the multiple layers on Elance. It's so compartmentalized that it's difficult to find the most basic commands like accepting a project. :angry: And everything has to be routed through their "private message board" . I know it's needed so both sides have a record but it's constricting. Guru has a similar model and has also been helpful to me.

Happy Pecha Kucha! Volume 2 debuts tonight. It's a rapid fire slide show from various artists. I had a great time at the first one @ Petras. It was packed too. So packed I could not move. Beats a miniscule turnout though. Which is the usual scene for many "artsy" events I have attended in Charlotte. Alive should have more elbow room. Below is my email from this AM.

"Pecha Kucha Night, Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

I did my usual pet sitting route in Fourth Ward on Thursday morning. Halfway through the Lab I was walking would not move his head away from a bush near Poplar&7th. I was leaning over to see and there was a huge WOOSH and a bird flew out :w00t: Scared this two legged animal to death along with the dogs. I am no expert but it landed on a nearby tree and it looked like some type of falcon. But I thought it was pretty odd for one to be in a bush. Very cool though once I got over my shock. Gotta love urban wildife.

I have always thought that one of the hallmarks of an interesting and diverse town includes having some offbeat alternative magazines. I picked up the first issue of Blu at Nova last year. At first I thought it was too self consciously "hip" to the point of parody. However, yesterday I grabbed a copy of their first year anniversary issue at Niche while I was spending money I don't have on cool kicks. I really like how Blu has evolved. Especially the great amount of space they devote to the contributors describing what Charlotte means to them. It's just so authentic and raw and local. An so needed as an antidote to CL's juvenile bent and Charlotte Weekly's Myers Park Mommy laser focus. What do you think of Blu?

To me, the range of articles and topics were great in this issue. The street style and party pictures were interesting but do not overpower the magazine anymore. It's very collaborative and open to anyone who wants to contribute. We need this type of media here desperately so do what you can to support them @ blu-magazine.com

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, Cook Out (the fast food chain that recently entered the Charlotte market) seems to be enclosing most if not all of their locations. I've seen several permits come through for enclosing the existing patios so I would imagine they are making older locations look like their newer locations where you can choose to eat in.

Does anyone know what's being built at 485/N Tryon? This is the lot across from the new CVS. It's a fairly sizable development, or at least it appears this way from 29. Charlotte's permitting website is not very friendly if you don't know the specifics on a permit.

Does anyone know what's being built at 485/N Tryon? This is the lot across from the new CVS. It's a fairly sizable development, or at least it appears this way from 29. Charlotte's permitting website is not very friendly if you don't know the specifics on a permit.

Apartments. From a brief in the Observer (link): "Just over the Cabarrus County line in Mecklenburg, a lot of red dirt is being cleared on North Tryon Street in northeast Charlotte near Pavilion Boulevard and Interstate 485. The site-clearing work is for a 300-unit apartment complex, said Doug Levin, a project manager for the development from Gateway Homes and Park Regency. ..."

Apartments. From a brief in the Observer (link): "Just over the Cabarrus County line in Mecklenburg, a lot of red dirt is being cleared on North Tryon Street in northeast Charlotte near Pavilion Boulevard and Interstate 485. The site-clearing work is for a 300-unit apartment complex, said Doug Levin, a project manager for the development from Gateway Homes and Park Regency. ..."

Thanks for that! Not extremely exciting and I'm sure it will be another bland apartment complex in the sea of sprawl for that area. At least it is employing some folks in this harsh economy I suppose.

Does anyone else think it might earn a chuckle if one of the Mod's shot a post in here that randomly told someone to get back on topic?

:lol:

Bar Charlotte is sure doing it's part to stimulate er, the economy..... They are advertising "Bikini Bull Riding" in their window :shok:

Lazy Day has a lot of pics of this recurring event for all those curious what the mysterious signs are alluding to.

To be clear....their sign is in the window. The bikini bull riding is not visible to passersby. That would be quite a traffic hazard for many.

at night it kinda is visible...anyway its thursdays, which i think also happens to be college night.

say what you will about the place, i don't think anyone denies the sleaziness, but they're doing something right.