Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

This might be a question for monsoon, but is there any sort of stats available on number of UP posts by forum? I constantly see mostly Charlotte posts on the UP home page more than any other forum and was wondering what forums are used more than others...

There are. The Grand Rapids forum is, by far, the busiest sub forum on this site. The algorithm used to display posts on the home page doesn't include everything posted.

For those that have been around a long time...Forum is hosting a 'Mythos Reunion' party tomorrow night. DJ Andy Kastanas, bar tenders from way back, and other surprises. Mythos was an awesome club and when I did go out this is where we went! Should be fun... :)

OMG that's awesome. I want to go. I still have my membership form Mythos, and also when it was the Park Elevator on Cedar St.

There are. The Grand Rapids forum is, by far, the busiest sub forum on this site. The algorithm used to display posts on the home page doesn't include everything posted.

What are the other busy forums? I look over Richmond and Providence occasionally because I used to live there. And I watch Norfolk because I am interested in their light rail. But I also watched Seattle and Phoenix for their light rail and was disappointed. I wonder if "BIG" cities are less active because it's harder to keep track of proposals....mid sized cities with aspirations to be "big" cities might be the most interesting to watch...

What are the other busy forums? I look over Richmond and Providence occasionally because I used to live there. And I watch Norfolk because I am interested in their light rail. But I also watched Seattle and Phoenix for their light rail and was disappointed. I wonder if "BIG" cities are less active because it's harder to keep track of proposals....mid sized cities with aspirations to be "big" cities might be the most interesting to watch...

Hartford, Nashville, Greenville (SC), NC Triad, Columbia, Northwest Arkansas & Orlando.

I really would like to have more activity in other places, particularly the larger cities like Seattle, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc. but there simply isn't anyone that has stepped up that is familiar enough with what's going on in those cities to head things up. UP has become somewhat of a mid-tier city discussion site.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) we lose out to some other forum sites for these larger cities because of our rule enforcing here. I can admit that, but it also allows for greater readability of our forums since users don't have to sift through endless pages of crap posts.

I know this isn't the question you asked, but I think it needs to be said that UP is run with a double edged sword. In the cities we are successful in, we have been successful because we have enforced stick to the topic at hand. This is also our downfall because folks feel like we moderate with too heavy of a hand thus they go elsewhere. I assure you that this isn't our intent, we simply want the topic to stay on topic and to ask the hard questions that don't often get asked. If we don't do this then we simply end up being like every other teeny bopper site on the net where good information is hard to find due to the endless one-liner or off-topic posts.

Don't change. Your logic works and keeps the site much more easy to navigate and to learn than the other free-for-all sites I've visited. It also isn't very constructive to read some of the off topic rants that other sites have -- happens here once in a while, but overall the conversation is civil and steers away from getting too personal. The only complaint I think a lot of people have on here is the tone can get a bit personal at times, but it isn't pervasive.

So my wife and I went to the Belk Theater to see Burn The Floor at the 2PM showing on Saturday. We parked in the 7th Street deck (I typically park here when I drive into downtown) and was absolutely shocked when we left the deck around 4:15PM and had to pay $15. I've been there when event parking was $5 and even $10, but $15 is a complete ripoff. Perhaps it is there way of paying for their new automated ticketing system?

The only reason we drove into downtown was because we were meeting at a friend's house nearby after the show, otherwise we would have drove to a LYNX station and took the train back into town. Needless to say we'll be taking the train on future visits, regardless of what we're doing immediately afterward.

Yea I stopped parking at 7th Street Station after they started charging $5 for parking. I just take the train in myself now days if I plan on doing anything Uptown. I did not know that they installed automated ticketing machines recently.

I pretty much never park downtown anymore. I take LYNX just about everytime now... $1.50 vs $10 (or more) and having to worry about finding a parking spot is a no-brainer for me.

Unfortunately it doesn't help those of us living in NE Charlotte. I usually take the bus except for Sundays when it doesn't run by my house. I did drive downtown Sat. night and 7th St. station was $5. Before the new gates it was free on Sunday afternoons (except gamedays) I hope they will keep it that way.

Unfortunately it doesn't help those of us living in NE Charlotte. I usually take the bus except for Sundays when it doesn't run by my house. I did drive downtown Sat. night and 7th St. station was $5. Before the new gates it was free on Sunday afternoons (except gamedays) I hope they will keep it that way.

True. Sorry, I should've prefaced that with "South Charlotte Residents like me" :)

^^ You probably caught the beginning of the pricing structure for the Bobcats game. I bet if you left at 4, you would have been fine..... bummer.

One would think that with timestamps on tickets (particularly one that was dispensed and paid for via an automated machine) would know that you left before the game actually started. This will be the last $15 they'll get from me, we absolutely will not park downtown in the future. I didn't mind so much paying $5 since it would cost that much for two round-trip tickets on the LYNX anyway, but not $10 or $15. :blink:

This is my problem. I have to drive past downtown and take the LYNX back into downtown. I certainly won't mind if I know I'm escaping a $15 fee for parking for a couple of hours for a show, but it is slightly inconvenient. I'm really hoping we can get the blue line extended to University soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this email last week. Since this organization covers topics many of us are interested in on here I thought I would pass along the invite...

Just a reminder that our Charlotte ViewPoint Stimulus Event is fast approaching.

The event is a gathering of citizens supportive of our mission of fostering civic engagement through arts, culture and thought leadership. Meet wonderful creative citizens, bid on unique and valuable items in our silent auction, and enjoy great food and wine in a spectacular new venue. Tickets are $25 per person, and the dollars support Charlotte ViewPoint, with a portion of fundraising proceeds going to support local artists and creative talent. The event will be Thursday, April 30th from 6-8 PM at Chima Restaurant in uptown Charlotte. Come walk, take a trolley or drive. Valet parking is provided beginning at 6 PM.

You can register @ Charlotteviewpoint.org

Edited by voyager12

Is Charlotte.com dreadfully slow for anyone else? For the last week or so, their site has taken *minutes* to load articles. This happens to me at work and at home. For a paper in a downward spiral, this isn't a good problem to have.

Is Charlotte.com dreadfully slow for anyone else? For the last week or so, their site has taken *minutes* to load articles. This happens to me at work and at home. For a paper in a downward spiral, this isn't a good problem to have.

I've had 0 problems this week with CLT.com, and I check it (along with Urban Planet) an unhealthy amount of times per day...

I've had 0 problems this week with CLT.com, and I check it (along with Urban Planet) an unhealthy amount of times per day...

Strange, I've spoken with a couple other people who have been experiencing the same issues with charlotte.com that I've been experiencing. Three different Internet providers too, oh well.