Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Their site has been slow for me for the last two weeks or so, sometimes to the point where I would "X" out because I got annoyed. Actually, the site seems to be working fine today, so maybe it's back up to par. We use Charter Digital as our internet provider.

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing a video search unrelated to Charlotte and came across this:

[vimeo]4360666[/vimeo]

This is a short version of the full-length video apparently, but cool nonetheless. It obviously contains a lot of fiction but also shows the development of downtown in an interesting way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was cutting through Eastover last night and I still don't understand why Colville Rd is so bumpy and out of shape. One would think the residents in that neighborhood have enough clout to get it repaved.

OTOH, perhaps they don't petition for improvement because the road's current state discourages the common folk from using it as an alternate route.

Edited by voyager12

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd stick it here...

Doug Smith has announced his retirement. I think he stated his last day is June 5th. I for one will miss his columns. He had an interesting perspective being a native Charlottean.

I found this. Wow I remember this WBTV intro when I lived and went to college in Charlotte 12 years ago. That is when Denise Dory was co-anchor. She is very pretty.

">

• 4 weeks later...

The eskimo on the Dairy Queen on Wilkinson is so awesome! It should be given local landmark status on kitsch value alone. There is regional precedent.

Charleston placed an permanent easement on the rotating Coburg Cow along Savannah Highway in West Ashely leading to the peninsula. Because so many people got a kick out of it seeing it. The Coburg Dairy offices are long gone from that part of town but the cow is forever!

I was out late last night and stopped by the gas station @ East&Kenilworth for some munchies. As I was getting into my car to leave a guy my age walked over. He said he would give me $20 if I would drive him to a house two blocks away ,knock on the door and run away. A tad weird ya think ? He looked pretty stoned. I politely declined said offer and drove off. Not the first time strange encounters have happened to me at that store after midnight. I hope I don't look that gullible :silly:

Edited by voyager12

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but why are there always people hanging around on Phifer Ave. between Tryon and College? What are they waiting for, is there a social service located there or employment office or what?

Are you referring to the influx of skateboarders too? They migrate all the way down to the south end from Tryon. I saw them today... Had to of been at least 30-40 of them.

Are you referring to the influx of skateboarders too? They migrate all the way down to the south end from Tryon. I saw them today... Had to of been at least 30-40 of them.

No, these are just people standing around on the sidewalk and sitting on the planters. I'm sure it has something to do with job seekers or social services but I'm trying to figure out what. I see them all the time when I'm coming down Tryon into uptown over on Phifer Ave. I think it is some sort of government building between 11th and Pfifer.

You're not even kidding. I saw a big group of 'em get off at New Bern and head up to one of their usual sites at all the exposed foundations along Dunavant Street. I guess the third day of Heroes Con had a skateboarding seminar.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but why are there always people hanging around on Phifer Ave. between Tryon and College? What are they waiting for, is there a social service located there or employment office or what?

Does this look like the same area? I think it is. It was a pretty large crowd hanging out. This was quite some time ago.

109945713.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be in Charlotte tomorrow for most of the day and heard some decent things up here about the consignment shops/Goodwills in the area. Does anyone know of any noteworthy consignment or thrift shops where the clothing is quality and some deals can be had?

Are you looking for cheap clothes or vintage clothes? If you want vintage, two of the best places are Hong Kong on Central near The Plaza, and Rats Nest on E 36th near N. Davidson. For cheap used stuff, the habitat REstore on Wendover at Latrobe Dr is popular. I know it is popular for furniture and stuff, but I don't know about clothes.

I don't like most of the local radio, but The End's New Music&Indie show is worth a listen I think. It's on around 7pm Sundays I have discovered some great songs from it.

I heard that same show while driving back from the lake after Father's Day and have become a fan of it now. Discovered a few good bands on the radio that night - Esser, Bad Veins, Little Boots. I'll be listening every Sunday.

Also, you might want check out World Cafe on 90.7 on Saturdays from 9-midnight. It's not a locally hosted show, but there is some good stuff on there too.

Edited by ScottCLT

^ I like World Cafe too. I also zone out to "Your hearing echos" on Sunday nights on 90.7 the music is often a mix of celtic chants and other mellow sound. I have tried to mimic the hosts voice when he says "This is John Delibreto and your hearing Echos" it's all so zen and a great relaxer. It's part of my Sunday New York Times and NPR ritual. I am quite a liberal cliche :shades:

• 2 weeks later...