Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

It certainly gives you a new perspective on life. Unfortunately there was nothing that I could have done to avoid this particular accident other than not being on the road when it happened. I'm just thankful for airbags and Acura's attention to safety. Not sure how many more times I would be able to cheat death.

• 2 weeks later...

i can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Charlotte was HEAVILY featured in last week's episode of Nitro Circus. For those of you who don't know, it's MTV's extreme sports daredevil/comedy show, like Jackass but with talented athletes.

they were allowed to race 2 Nascars through uptown! you can clearly recognize them racing down Caldwell, Trade, College, Tryon, 4th, doing donuts on Trade in front of TWC. Streetbike Tommy then procedes to blow out the tires on one in the parking lot between caldwell & davidson by the arena. no idea when this was filmed, and how i didn't know about it! or hear it considering they must have flown right by my window.

they also took a jetski into the Whitewater Center and were wakeboarding over the rapids. a short segment on a lake that could have been Lake Norman was in there too, but since an Asheville scene was also in the episode, i guess it could have been anywhere.

it was amazing, go dvr it while they're still running it!

i can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Charlotte was HEAVILY featured in last week's episode of Nitro Circus. For those of you who don't know, it's MTV's extreme sports daredevil/comedy show, like Jackass but with talented athletes.

they were allowed to race 2 Nascars through uptown! you can clearly recognize them racing down Caldwell, Trade, College, Tryon, 4th, doing donuts on Trade in front of TWC. Streetbike Tommy then procedes to blow out the tires on one in the parking lot between caldwell & davidson by the arena. no idea when this was filmed, and how i didn't know about it! or hear it considering they must have flown right by my window.

they also took a jetski into the Whitewater Center and were wakeboarding over the rapids. a short segment on a lake that could have been Lake Norman was in there too, but since an Asheville scene was also in the episode, i guess it could have been anywhere.

when does it come on again?

You can watch the entire episode online (for now) here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/?id=1621206

After failing twice and making my credit card cry, I rescued my car from inspection purgatory yesterday. I might frame my passing certificate. What a pain! I usually go to the DMV on Indy but everyone I spoke to this time reccomended the Brookshire location. I got out there before the 8:00 opening yesterday and was in and out in ten minutes. Glad I left early because on the first driveby I completely missed the building and went all the way to Mtn Island Lake in Gaston. I had never been out there before,and it's very pretty . Got directions from a gas station. I felt stupid but the DMV sign is so faded you can't even read it, I just thought it was just another office building.

Edited by voyager12

^ Everything turns pink in October for Breast Cancer Month.

Ok, so plug time for The Light Factory. The f.64 exhibit in their main gallery is, frankly, astounding. There are some absolutely gorgeous photos in there by Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham and Ansel Adams, among others. And it is free. I highly highly recommend checking it out.

I try to support local music as much as I can. Like everything else alt in this town there is a lot of great talent out there but it's hard to get mainstream recognition. Tonight at the Neighborhood Theatre is the release party for Homebrew 3, a compilation of local music. A panel discussion starts at 8 and then a concert afterwards. The great perk being that everyone in attendance gets a free Homebrew CD with 18 local bands featured. Can't beat free music ! :yahoo:

P.S. If you like alt rock Animal Kingdom's single "Tin Man" is free on iTunes.

I went to the local CD release party at the Neighborhood last night. The panel discussion was interesting. There is a lot of great Charlotte music being made but the issue continues to be getting people out to see them. As was also mentioned you could interchange the topic from music to urban planning and it's the same general malaise that perpetually afflicts our burg. Maybe it's the transient corporate nature of our area or just a taste issue. The local groups making original sound are forever annoyed with getting cover song requests as opposed to being able to put out their tunes. There was general loathing expressed toward the generic Alive after 5 in Uptown and the new venues because they mostly focus on mass market or cover bands. The lack of marquee events that have energized other similar sized cities was cited as a major deficiency. Finally, everyone agreed that moaning at each other is counterproductive by fans and bands. If the local scene is to grow everyone has to pitch in.

I had to get back to my dog route so I could not stay for the concert. I did pick up a Homebrew CD on the way out, really got into a bunch of songs on it.

On a sidenote, I was excited to see how busy NoDa was and it wasn't just around the theatre or a weekend! Great flow of people. I know a bunch of folks who consider Thursday the start of the wkd and I actually prefer going out then, just seems more mellow. But regardless, increased streetlife on a weeknight is great to see!

Our city neighborhoods are considered diverse because we tend to vote more Democratic than the overall metro. Aside from politics we are not diverse. I have found quite a contrast in some of the subdivisions along Sardis and out near UNCC. I check on a few dogs near Sardis&Fairview and quite often see fully garbed Orthodox Jews walking to temple as well as Indian families in saris, and more. Suburbia is so often thought of as conservative,white, and Christian. It's good to get a different perspective.