Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

In planning a shuttle launch trip next month, I came across this map, which I was compelled to share. This is an example of a really, really, really terrible transit map. (also, SCAT? really? That's worse than the peppermint)

http://routefinder.ridescat.com/maps/english/R01/index.php

Also, the dirty-word filter is cute. Substitute "peppermint" for the acronym of South Lake Union Transit.

Edited by tozmervo

In planning a shuttle launch trip next month, I came across this map, which I was compelled to share. This is an example of a really, really, really terrible transit map. (also, SCAT? really? That's worse than the peppermint)

http://routefinder.ridescat.com/maps/english/R01/index.php

Also, the dirty-word filter is cute. Substitute "peppermint" for the acronym of South Lake Union Transit.

Yikes!!!! that map is horrible :(

I went to see Cindy Sheehan speak tonight at the Piedmont UU Church on Mallard Creek. And while I generally agree with her anti-war sentiments and can't imagine her pain, her tangents about "the military industrial complex" and our country being the "empire" gets old. I get angry about it too,but I don't live in that world 24/7. Because whether I like it or not everything is progression not idealism. I am progressive not radical.

I went to see Cindy Sheehan speak tonight at the Piedmont UU Church on Mallard Creek. And while I generally agree with her anti-war sentiments and can't imagine her pain, her tangents about "the military industrial complex" and our country being the "empire" gets old. I get angry about it too,but I don't live in that world 24/7. Because whether I like it or not everything is progression not idealism. I am progressive not radical.

yeah while i am generally with her on most things, her situation is sadly not unique and we only know her name because the media happened to latch on to it. i may agree with her but to hear her speak is just an excuse for us all to get worked up, not to change anything or to learn.

rabblerabblerabblerabble

Heard an advertisement this morning on the radio (95.1, I believe) for a new gym somewhere in Charlotte. The new gym claimed the following features:

-$19 a month

-No contracts

-Basketball courts, swimming pool, track

-Unlimited free tanning

I didn't, however, catch the name of the place. Does anyone know? It's not Planet Fitness or Peak Fitness. Only thing close that I can find on the web is SnapFitness...but I don't think that's it either. Did anyone by chance catch the ad this morning?

Heard an advertisement this morning on the radio (95.1, I believe) for a new gym somewhere in Charlotte. The new gym claimed the following features:

-$19 a month

-No contracts

-Unlimited free tanning

I didn't, however, catch the name of the place. Does anyone know? It's not Planet Fitness or Peak Fitness. Only thing close that I can find on the web is SnapFitness...but I don't think that's it either. Did anyone by chance catch the ad this morning?

Maybe it's "Sports & Fitness" by chance? I have heard them advertising on the radio. They took over a number of the old Peak Fitness locations.

Maybe it's "Sports & Fitness" by chance? I have heard them advertising on the radio. They took over a number of the old Peak Fitness locations.

Yup, I heard it again this morning. You're correct...it's "Sports and Fitness Club". The radio ad says they are opening a new University area location. Not much on the website but they do list three locations (Northlake, Ballantyne, Morehead). All of which appear to be former Peak locations.

Sports and Fitness Clubs - Rethink Fitness.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, but we shall see...

-$19 a month

-No contracts

-Unlimited free tanning

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago, a three minute video was posted that showed the "growing" Charlotte, and a bizarre Charlotte future with lots of towers like Taipei 101. It was on CLT Blog and I think it was on this board somewhere.

Anyway, I went by the McColl center today and got to see that video full length (9+ minutes) on display. It is by Rob Carter and its called Metropolis. The entire video is posted on his website: http://www.robcarter...Metropolis.html

'Tis pretty cool, check it out.

Edited by tozmervo

Some time ago, a three minute video was posted that showed the "growing" Charlotte, and a bizarre Charlotte future with lots of towers like Taipei 101. It was on CLT Blog and I think it was on this board somewhere.

Anyway, I went by the McColl center today and got to see that video full length (9+ minutes) on display. It is by Rob Carter and its called Metropolis. The entire video is posted on his website: http://www.robcarter...Metropolis.html

'Tis pretty cool, check it out.

Thanks for posting the link to the full video! I had posted a segment of the video a while back, but it was interesting to see the video in its entirety.

Thanks for posting the link to the full video! I had posted a segment of the video a while back, but it was interesting to see the video in its entirety.

That video is actually pretty cool... I like the "fly by" on the old Charlotte Coliseum. I also liked what appeared to be some sort of "space needle-like" structure near the Beazer Morehead/Clarkson development. That would actually be a perfect location for something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post this here so no one misses it. Starting next month (December) you can be cited for having the state name covered up. I was actually pulled over for this a few months ago, but wasn't given any citation for it...probably because it wasn't law...just an uninformed police officer. :)

Almost all dealers install thick license plate covers when you buy a car from them. I know my wife's car has one so we'll be taking it off obviously.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1065117.html

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a very observant Jew but enjoy Hannukah when it comes around each year. Of course it's quite eclipsed by Christmas, that's fine since our holiday is actually less important than many other Jewish observances like Passover and the High Holidays. And it's always been a chore to find decent Hannukah schwag in the South. Could not find anything in the Target at Metropolitan this weeked. Crate and Barrel actually had menorah ornaments,which would be a little insulting if it was not so stupid. I should have asked an employee how I am supposed to hang a menorah ornament on a menorah? Drop it in the flames? Put it on a CHRISTMAS TREE? OY VEY rolleyes.gif

I think I will go to Shalom Park this week and ask for some reccomendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the IMAX theater at Discovery Place is 3D capable? "Avatar" is coming out tomorrow and I plan on going to see it next week, just not sure where yet. I usually just go to Epicentre for movies now, but I dont think they do 3D at all. This movie is suppose to be "groundbreaking" with the 3D visuals.

^ I think it is...not sure though

I got Lady Gaga's "Fame Monster" 2 disc set for Hannukah this week. I love it, think I am going wear a hole in both CDs. Great car dancing music yahoo.gif

This time of year my pet sitting gig gets slammed and I think my four legged back seat drivers will start complaining from hearing it too often when I am doing my dog taxi runs laugh.gif

Edited by Forrest

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post here, but here goes:

Just a few hours ago, I was part of a rather blunt display of discrimination.

For less than a year, I was a regular customer at Reid's Fine Foods. The service was always professional and I enjoyed the dining atmosphere.

Unfortunately, an incident occurred that forced me to discontinue my patronage at Reid's. On Monday December 21, 2009 between 2-2:30pm, I was present at the eatery for lunch. I received a meal prepared by a young Caucasian female consisting of chicken wings and macaroni & cheese. From there, I gathered a few more items and made my cash purchase at a register.

Immediately after finding a seat, I noticed on first touch that my wings were abnormally cold. As anyone knows, ill-prepared food can harvest harmful bacteria such as Salmonella & E. Coli. I proceeded to the luncheon counter & asked an elderly Caucasian female employee if she could please heat the wings for me.

She slyly replied that she could not perform the task...'for EBT.' I was confused and asked her to repeat her statement. She further enlightened me that she could not reheat food for any EBT/Government Subsidy Recipient. I was appalled, because I paid with cash. Furthermore, money is money --- there is no justifiable cause to deny a paying customer warm food.

I could not believe that she made the assumption that I paid with an EBT card. The manager (a middle-aged Caucasian male) soon came to the scene and bluntly asked for my receipt. Once again, I was appalled. I had just paid for my food less than ten minutes before the incident. I went searching for my receipt and realized I had thrown it away. I expressed to the manager my displeasure and asked for a full refund.

He went to his office to look up the transaction on the system. A few minutes later, he came back and admitted that he saw that I did pay with cash. He kept explaining to me that EBT customers do not receive the same benefits as cash/credit/debit paying customers. Once again, I was appalled. I further explained to him that it was completely out of line for he and his employee to discriminate against me off a broad assumption. I received my refund and vacated the premises.

Overall, I am utterly disgusted. It is appalling to know that 'separate but equal' is STILL upheld in various American establishments in THIS era. I am a 23 year Black male and native of Charlotte. I am a recent college graduate and work in the Commerical Photography field and currently starting my own business centered on Photography and Graphic Arts. Due to my profession, I dress casually and with a small physical stature - aiding in my younger appearance. I am sure these factors fueled their assumptions. Reid's Fine Foods was a regular stop for me for lunch throughout the work week. I do not own a vehicle, so the location is a huge convenience for my daily travels to/from home and work.

It should not matter whether or not I was an EBT customer. Warm food should not be denied to anyone paying for a decent customer service experience. I am disgusted with the blatant disregard for human decency in the matter. With their policy, they have in fact proven that African-Americans are STILL at a social disadvantage in this country. I am quite sure if I were Caucasian, the elderly employee would have heated my food with no questions asked.

So, I filed a complaint with Action 9 News because I know Don Griffin frequents Reid's as well. What else can I do to get this matter heard? I want people to know what kind of business Reid's Fine Foods is running...

I have to admit, I had to look up EBT to see what it was. Seems like there were two forms of discrimination going on - the first was assuming you were using EBT because you are black. The other is apparently not providing the same services to economically disadvantaged customers using EBT. The former would have probably never even come up were it not for the latter. I don't understand why Reid's would have such a silly policy in the first place?

^ That is disgusting. I would contact every media outlet in town and Facebook and Twitter and the NAACP. The fact that the Manager backed up such blatant discrimination is mindblowing. I certainly won't ever be going back to Reids and will tell everyone else I know not to as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously in love with Blackhawk Hardware. Woke up to no heat,no hot water. And an unresponsive landlord. Rolled out of bed in two coats and hot mess bedhead to BHWK. I wanted to get a bigger space heater besides my small emergency one. The only good one in stock was $100 which I really could not afford but was going to buy anyway. They only charged me $40 for it. How awesome is that?! I now have two heaters going and still trying to track down my landlord. But I am a blackhawk loyalist for life.