Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Now off topic in the off topic forum:

Is there a Ballantyne thread here? I couldn't find one quickly, and search didn't help me find any recent posts.

There is not a general Ballantyne thread (there are threads specific for say Ballantyne Village). You're welcome to start one though. :)

I think it's a bad idea. Public transportation doesn't serve these parts of town and the neighbors do have statistically legitimate concerns about the criminality of lower-income types.

I think it's a good idea. Clustering the majority of these complexes in East and West Charlotte does not make sense. If built to compliment the surrounding neighborhood as opposed to stigmatizing these residents with inferior structures there can be success. First Ward and Seigle Point are good examples. Throughout Myers Park and Dilworth there is privately owned low to moderate income housing in the form of duplexes and quads. As a resident of the latter it provides an opportunity for a diverse group of people to live in neighborhoods that are out of reach for most through purchasing. Since these are predominantly older buildings that blend there are no issues except from a few with snobby attitudes.

Not surprisingly much of the opposition that could occur in Ballantyne will stem from snobbery.

I agree ^. But the right balance is important.

In fact, the idea that any attention is being drawn to the construction of these dwellings is a fundamental problem. Your asking for a stigma.

In my world (in which I am the mayor, president and CEO), I would quietly and consistently advocate to build small (proportionaly maybe 1 unit per every block), unnoticeable affordable and subsidized housing on every street.

A "development pocket" of anything leads to homogeneity.

In my world (in which I am the mayor, president and CEO), I would quietly and consistently advocate to build small (proportionaly maybe 1 unit per every block), unnoticeable affordable and subsidized housing on every street.

A "development pocket" of anything leads to homogeneity.

In my world, scattered makes more sense too. I've learned since the original posting that this Ballantyne development is *NOT* Section 8, but a mixed income development with requirements that residents have jobs.

The more long term question along the same lines: If the housing authority got its grant to redo the troubled, big Boulevard Homes as mixed income (and I'm not sure they did, though there's lots of stimulus money listed here ), then there will be 300 fewer units to house former Boulevard Homes residents. Where will they end up? The people with criminal records won't be able to get in to the Ballantyne development program, and I'm unsure what the limitations on Section 8 vouchers are.

As the city works to improve the concept of low income housing, where do the people with no jobs and/or criminal records end up? If all of us work to keep them out of our specific neighborhoods, then where do they go? Surely they don't just leave town. If they end up somewhere else in town, out of sight and out of mind, they still cost our government, for jails, social services, etc.

Dern, that makes my head hurt.

Ballantyne thread now created under Charlotte forum. The particular zoning issue mentioned above has a public hearing in front of city council on March 15.

More broadly, about low income housing in general: Here's hoping that many people watch carefully how any stimulus money is spent by HUD. I'm old enough to remember lots of HUD money being siphoned off in the '80s.

• 2 weeks later...

Timely discussion for MLK day! smile.gif

Anyway, I've only been on this board for about 3 months and have learned a lot of new things about Charlotte in that short time thanks to all of you. I thought it might be a good idea to see where you all are from and what part of the area you currently live in.

Im originally from NYC, now live uptown (Fourth Ward).

Born in Charlotte, lived in overseas 20 years (mostly London). Also lived in Panama City, Fl., Santa Barbara, Calif., Charleston, S.C., Edgewater, N.J., Denver, Omaha, Boston, Duluth and Minneapolis, Minn. Back in the area for good (Cornelius)probably.

Born in Charlotte, lived in overseas 20 years (mostly London). Also lived in Panama City, Fl., Santa Barbara, Calif., Charleston, S.C., Edgewater, N.J., Denver, Omaha, Boston, Duluth and Minneapolis, Minn. Back in the area for good (Cornelius)probably.

I may be one of the only people who moved north to Charlotte, originally from Mobile, AL. Lived around Charlotte most my life; Albemarle, Shelby, etc. until moving into the city proper in spring 2006.

So the news just mentioned that the annual NRA convention is being held here in mid-May just after the NASCAR Hall of Fame opens.

I see green, green, green. I don't care who you are, just spend that money in Charlotte!

Edited by InitialD

So the news just mentioned that the annual NRA convention is being held here in mid-May just after the NASCAR Hall of Fame opens.

Think I'll need to dust off my Obama car magnet... whistling.gif

So, if you don't own a gun or go to races, you are going to show your disapproval of those that do by getting dusting off your Obama car magnet? Is that to signify intollerance? Good luck with that.hysterical.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i didn't want the Good News Report thread to get more off-topic, but wanted to discuss the Atlanta comparisons that got brought up, or rather the reactions to them.

i think the outright disdain for Atlanta that i've found to be widespread in Charlotte since i arrived is completely asinine. ATL is, imo, a wonderful city that does a lot of things right, and it wouldn't hurt to follow their lead on a few things. given where we are now, it is probably the most relevant city in the country to study in this way, so why the disgusted reactions whenever it is mentioned as an example?

there also seems to be a competitive undertone to all-things-Raleigh (my home town), as well as just about any city in the region that is large enough to be on the radar. is there something about living here that makes Charlotteans overly-defensive about the city? don't worry, i love it here and do plenty of defending of my own, but wanted to play devil's advocate on this because i find it interesting.

Edited by nonillogical

i didn't want the Good News Report thread to get more off-topic, but wanted to discuss the Atlanta comparisons that got brought up, or rather the reactions to them.

i think the outright disdain for Atlanta that i've found to be widespread in Charlotte since i arrived is completely asinine. ATL is, imo, a wonderful city that does a lot of things right, and it wouldn't hurt to follow their lead on a few things. given where we are now, it is probably the most relevant city in the country to study in this way, so why the disgusted reactions whenever it is mentioned as an example?

there also seems to be a competitive undertone to all-things-Raleigh (my home town), as well as just about any city in the region that is large enough to be on the radar. is there something about living here that makes Charlotteans overly-defensive about the city? don't worry, i love it here and do plenty of defending of my own, but wanted to play devil's advocate on this because i find it interesting.

I've only been in Charlotte a few years but I've consistently noted a need for comparison with other cities.

Some of it is completely healthy and desirable: Aspiring to be like Portland in regards to mass transit and bike-friendlessness or Charleston in walk-ability and retail density are good goals that are somewhat peer level and can be helpful in our aims.

Of course, there is the unhealthy or undesirable: Trying to be New York or Atlanta in regards to international or even national recognition (particularly in relation to upscale condos and "uptown" style living) is misguided IMO as it rushes us towards expensive developments which seem more pretentious than needed.

There is also the mixed bag: I admire the economic leaders trying to land as many headquarters as possible so that Charlotte compares to or surpasses larger cities as far as HQ status, but I think that has come at the cost of organic development of home grown small businesses that are not as flashy but offer the economy more stability.

The argument of healthy competition vs. chips on our shoulder boils down to what level of confidence we have as a city in whatever category we are comparing against others.

I really like Charlotte and think it will continue to gain admiration (both from its citizenry and non-citizens) as it grows, but it/we need to get through what almost feels like an awkward adolescent stage.

If it makes anyone feel better, Fox News keeps mentioning Sully's last flight which will land in Charlotte. They've talked about it for a while every now and then and keep mentioning Charlotte without the "NC" tag. "Sully's last flight before retirement will be to Charlotte" "Sully will land one last time in Charlotte making it his last flight before retirement" etc. etc.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere, but yesterday some new magazine/newspaper holders were being installed at Tryon and MLKJr. They are big green metal one-piece boxes, apparently to replace the rows of little ramshackle plastic holders that each publication uses. A big improvement if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...

This doesn't come CLOSE to the guy passing out free Bud Light at 7am on the Light Rail, but:

There was just a guy riding his bike down Tryon yelling: "No more leisure gas! RIDE YOUR BIKES! I'm not paying for it anymore! RIDE YOUR BIKES!".

Upon passing a string of taxis on the curb, he yelled: "Okay, you can drive. BUT DON'T TAKE THEM OUT OF THE WAY! No more leisure gas!".

Urban hilarity.

• 2 weeks later...

So I grabbed some lunch today and went and sat at the tables in front of Duke Energy Center. Between bites I looked around and to my left I saw the Mint, and across the street from that I saw Ally and Catalyst as a backdrop for the Knight, and next to that the Bechtler, and across the street from that I saw Radcliffe, and the ivy-covered entrance to the Green, and next to that St. James, and over my right shoulder the Gantt and the Westin, and I said "Wow.". Despite a horrible economy, how far this spot has come in just a few years.

And the best part was that the umbrella on my table was blocking the view of 400 South Tryon, so for a few minutes I could pretend I didn't have to go back to work.

I noticed (today) that Google Maps has updated their maps for the area. I'm not sure the extent of the update, but the images are very recent. I looked around and it appears that they were taken during Spring Auto Fair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway which was around April 9th.