Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

My wife and I don't go out to eat much, but we are this weekend for her birthday. If we go to Fiamma or Custom Shop or Georges Brasserie, do I need to wear a jacket and/or tie?

Also, thoughts on those restaurants, or other recommendations? No need to be fancy (actually, preferably not too), just good food. I trust the people on this forum more than my friends!

Definitely no jacket or tie at Fiamma or Custom Shop; I haven't been to Georges. Food and ambiance is good at Fiamma or Custom Shop. I think Fiamma is a bit more romantic; ask for a table on the mezzanine overlooking the bar.

So I realized that I've been surfing this forum for over two and a half years now, and I know some folks are IRL acquaintances, but I was wondering if there's ever been much in the way of a board meet-up?

(yes, there is a thinly veiled question of "would people be interested?" here)

Definitely no jacket or tie at Fiamma or Custom Shop; I haven't been to Georges. Food and ambiance is good at Fiamma or Custom Shop. I think Fiamma is a bit more romantic; ask for a table on the mezzanine overlooking the bar.

Fiamma is great, laid back, and reasonably priced. I introduced my mother to this place last year on Mother's day because she has a thing for small locally-owned Italian restaurants with genuine and fresh food (i.e. not spaghetti and meatballs from Maggiano's). Fiamma is her favorite Italian spot in Charlotte, and we make it there almost every time she comes into town.

So I realized that I've been surfing this forum for over two and a half years now, and I know some folks are IRL acquaintances, but I was wondering if there's ever been much in the way of a board meet-up?

(yes, there is a thinly veiled question of "would people be interested?" here)

I;m in favor of an Uptown/city center/center city/downtown/inside the 277 meet and greet! I'll nominate Molly MacPhersons!

i'm up for an old time meet up I just have to be in charlotte, I'll be in town last week of september/first week of october, mollys sounds great, i used to hang out their religiously in savannah...

I should be free too. Could not get to the last one we tried a few years back. Oh and apparently the tab is on Urbanity alc.gif I really have to go then laugh.gif

Just did this and thought I would pass it along......

If you Google Wilderness Downtown and use Chrome, Arcade Fire has teamed with Street View to flash your old neighborhood in their video or actually movie for "We Used to Wait". A bunch of windows pop open back and forth but that's part of the production and not a virus! Thought it was very cool and a total memory lane mindfk.

Edited by Forrest

I should be free too. Could not get to the last one we tried a few years back. Oh and apparently the tab is on Urbanity alc.gif I really have to go then laugh.gif

Just did this and thought I would pass it along......

If you Google Wilderness Downtown and use Chrome, Arcade Fire has teamed with Street View to flash your old neighborhood in their video or actually movie for "We Used to Wait". A bunch of windows pop open back and forth but that's part of the production and not a virus! Thought it was very cool and a total memory lane mindfk.

The Arcade Fire thing was awesome. And to reply to your previous comment, I actually love the new CD. I had only been a moderate fan before - knew a song here or there, but "The Suburbs" really took me in...love it. Now I need to go give their earlier stuff a better listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fox News was on my TV and to my avail there was an analyst from Charlotte on there with the Charlotte skyline in the background and the Anchor on Fox said "And now so-and-so will join us from Charlotte. Hello so-and-so, how are you?"

No "NC" tag, hell yeah :tough:

Edit: I had just woken up at 9:05AM and Fox was on my TV still and I heard "And in Southeast Charlotte there is a suspect...." At first I thought I heard wrong and then they said "and Charlotte Mecklenburg police....." and then I looked up to make sure it wasn't local news and it wasn't. :tough: It was the national Fox news.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I don't think anyone would notice or care besides me, but Sean Hannity of Fox News tonight was in a different studio tonight and the background was the St. Louis arch, DC monument, Atlanta skyscrapers, San Fran skyscrapers, and all these national monuments and skyscrapers.

:camera: Our beloved Bank of America Corp. tower was among the national icons on the background. It's sort of prominent. To me, at least.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 3 weeks later...

There is an interesting article from Brookings Institute regarding the need to invest in and the economic potential of the U.S. metropolitan areas. There are a lot of great points, but I loved this one in particular:

For decades, however, the federal government has treated cities like disaster zones, pursuing urban policies devoted to subsidized housing and tax incentives to revitalize inner-city neighborhoods rather than creating policies that, for example, support powerful and promising industry clusters. There has been major improvement under the Obama Administration, but old habits die hard, and legacy interventions still get more support than new approaches.

I wouldn't want that statement to be seen as code to ignore inner city problems such as the need for subsidized housing or services for the poor and homeless, but I do agree that the federal government has for a long time seen those issues as the main focus in their urban planning which is a horrible mistake.

Just thought I would post this as it's a good read: City Centered: Investing in Metropolitan Areas to Build the Next Economy

Edited by Urbanity

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know where to put it but here -

We had talked about North American Financial Holdings in the Good News Thread and I was all set to post there regarding their purchase of Capital Bank except it seems that NAFH is not HQ'd in Charlotte but Jacksonville. Florida and the News & Observer is reporting that the HQ for the the expanded Capital Bank will be in Raleigh.

There is an interesting article from Brookings Institute regarding the need to invest in and the economic potential of the U.S. metropolitan areas. There are a lot of great points, but I loved this one in particular:

For decades, however, the federal government has treated cities like disaster zones, pursuing urban policies devoted to subsidized housing and tax incentives to revitalize inner-city neighborhoods rather than creating policies that, for example, support powerful and promising industry clusters. There has been major improvement under the Obama Administration, but old habits die hard, and legacy interventions still get more support than new approaches.

I wouldn't want that statement to be seen as code to ignore inner city problems such as the need for subsidized housing or services for the poor and homeless, but I do agree that the federal government has for a long time seen those issues as the main focus in their urban planning which is a horrible mistake.

Just thought I would post this as it's a good read: City Centered: Investing in Metropolitan Areas to Build the Next Economy

• 4 weeks later...

When I go by Scaleybark on the Light Rail, I always think "They should put that baseball stadium down here.".

Something like:

scaleypark.jpg

From the first-base side (although the true elevation would probably be lower, and buildings would be in the way, but just go with it):

scaleyview.jpg

I suppose you could put up a net if you don't want dingers bouncing onto South Blvd.

Edited by grodney

When I go by Scaleybark on the Light Rail, I always think "They should put that baseball stadium down here.".

+1 on the Scaleybark ball park. Great idea!

Anywhere between Scaleybark station and uptown on the blue line would work. As a bonus stadium parking could double as a park and ride lot.

^At the rate the Knights are moving, I'd rather see the stadium along the BLE on the Intermodal Yards property. This would also help catalyze development between Uptown and Noda. And with the precedent of Amelie's and nearby Noda nightlife, I think this area would make for a great 24/7 "Wrigleyville."

Per MTC's recent direction, the BLE is back on track for 2016, but cutting project costs, such as a VMF at Intermodal. If true, the City will have excess property along the BLE, and the line should be running within a timeframe that should work for the Knights.