Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I think this has been asked before, but is there any decent used book store in the greater Charlotte area? Any other city and I would know where to haul a box of used books for resale, but going on four years it still alludes me here.

The Last Word in University. It's in the Promenade at Harris and Tryon beside the IHOP. I think it is a franchise (I could be wrong) but it looks and feels quaint. I know they buy and trade used books. I believe there was an article in the Observer a while back, but I can't remember. Good Luck.

I didn't know where to put this and wasn't sure it really warranted a new topic, but has anyone noticed how the (what I believe was) public housing that was torn down at the corner of Billy Graham and West Blvd? I noticed it when I was leaving the airport yesterday and turning left on West. There were bulldozers and other vehicles that were tearing all this residential development down. Anyone know what is going there?

I didn't know where to put this and wasn't sure it really warranted a new topic, but has anyone noticed how the (what I believe was) public housing that was torn down at the corner of Billy Graham and West Blvd? I noticed it when I was leaving the airport yesterday and turning left on West. There were bulldozers and other vehicles that were tearing all this residential development down. Anyone know what is going there?

That's Boulevard Homes I think. And I do remember reading about the redevelopment about a year ago...now where did I read that...?

• 4 weeks later...

Exciting to see a new Food Truck at the corner of 3rd and Tryon (in the 300 South Tryon parking lot). They call themselves "Roots" and purport to have Good.Local.Food. Unfortunately I had already been up the street to Jersey Mike's, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try them out. Then menu looked great, and they said it will change every day. I believe they said they made their debut at the Atherton Mill Farmer's Market on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting to see a new Food Truck at the corner of 3rd and Tryon (in the 300 South Tryon parking lot). They call themselves "Roots" and purport to have Good.Local.Food.

I can now report that this place is AWESOME. Highly recommended. I've eaten there 4 or 5 times, and it has been delicious every time. I'll paste today's menu below, just as an example. I had the pasta, and it was top quality. Go down, give it a try, get on their mailing list. (I have no affiliation with them.)

Tuesday May 10,2011

3rd andTryon Location

Pasta

Hand Made Tagliatelli with GrilledAsparagus, Tomatoes, and Fresh Arugula with a light Cream Sauce topped withChapel Hill Creamery Asiago

$8

Weak in the KneesGrilled Cheese

Nova’s Brioche, Melted Together with3 Kinds of Local Cheese: Chapel Hill Thunder Mountain Swiss, Ashe CountyCheddar, and Chapel Hill Asiago

$6 [Ed. Note: menu on the cart said $7]

Add Tomato - $1

Add Fried Egg - $2

Side Salad

2 Kinds of Barbee Farms Greens withBaby Cucumbers and Swiss Chard

$2

• 1 month later...

^ ha. Where is that in Charlotte?

City Newscasts always run those wacky stories from out-of-town. When I see them in Charlotte I get a little frustrated, because I don't understand why the producers think 10 minutes of homicides, 10 minutes of "whistleblowing" and 5 minutes of pointless viral-video makes a newscast. I'd rather those 5 minutes get used for "good" local news.

• 1 month later...

You ever go to Plaza Fiesta down by Carowinds? There's that taco place, right next to the giant playground tower? Man, their tacos are so delicious. Meat, onions, cilantro. That's it. On a nice soft corn tortilla. So authentic, so good. The chorizo is awesome. The chicken chipotle and ground beef are darn fine too. And the salsa, ooh la la. So spicy and delicious.

And $1.75 per taco!

There isn't anything similar uptown, is there? I would LOVE to have that for a lunch option. The "street tacos" at Qdoba were at least an attempt, but not as good and not as cheap. Roots Food Truck tacos are delicious, but they're more "gourmet" than "authentic". And $3.50 each.

You ever go to Plaza Fiesta down by Carowinds? There's that taco place, right next to the giant playground tower? Man, their tacos are so delicious. Meat, onions, cilantro. That's it. On a nice soft corn tortilla. So authentic, so good. The chorizo is awesome. The chicken chipotle and ground beef are darn fine too. And the salsa, ooh la la. So spicy and delicious.

And $1.75 per taco!

There isn't anything similar uptown, is there? I would LOVE to have that for a lunch option. The "street tacos" at Qdoba were at least an attempt, but not as good and not as cheap. Roots Food Truck tacos are delicious, but they're more "gourmet" than "authentic". And $3.50 each.

I had some good tacos al pastor like that out of a truck during the recent soccer games. They were 2/$5 or 3/$7. I'm not sure where the nearest consistently operating taco trucks are anymore, but I think I've seen some on Central towards eastland.

I can't believe Charlotte didn't even place on this list of America's Geekiest Cities!

Based on their criteria (this is a fluff piece), "geek" is not meant as "un-cool," rather it's meant to as an endearing term for specialized professionals (bankers?!).

If Charlotte didn't place according to their criteria, I would argue it should make the "un-cool" Geek List at least... I love Charlotte, but Brooklyn it is NOT (and yes, I'll admit to my own geek-steak).

http://blogs.forbes.com/williampentland/2011/08/02/geekville-usa-americas-20-geekiest-cities/

I can't believe Charlotte didn't even place on this list of America's Geekiest Cities!

Based on their criteria (this is a fluff piece), "geek" is not meant as "un-cool," rather it's meant to as an endearing term for specialized professionals (bankers?!).

If Charlotte didn't place according to their criteria, I would argue it should make the "un-cool" Geek List at least... I love Charlotte, but Brooklyn it is NOT (and yes, I'll admit to my own geek-steak).

http://blogs.forbes....eekiest-cities/

Well, we did make #11 on the "most iPad friendly cities" list. :good:

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/ipad-cities?cm_mmc=pr-_-tablet%20friendly-_-metrogrades-_-mh

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good resource to find houses for rent other than Craigslist and Zillow?

(...or want to suggest a good 2bd 1000sqft+ house for rent in the center city area)

The best thing to do is just drive around the areas that you like and look for "rental" signs. Sometimes people don't advertise and simply put out a sign. That way, you won't have to worry about driving out to see a place. You will have already been there and know where it is. Good luck.

Can someone please tell me what is going on next week. I have a friend trying to get a hotel room near the airport next week and all the rooms are booked. They tried airport, Tyvola, Billy Graham, Tryon, South...Everything is booked. Just wondering what would have them all booked...it is only a Tuesday (20th)....

• 2 weeks later...