Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Remember that map of Charlotte with all the neighborhood names on it? I'm pretty sure I saw this first on UP a couple of years ago. It's on Charlotte Mag's site here: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/October-2011/Where-to-Buy-Now/

I noticed it was uncredited and when I asked them about who should get credit for it, they changed the credit to "Courtesy of Urban Planet." I just want to make sure the proper person gets credit and/or compensation (FYI they once paid me $75 for use of a photo so it doesn't hurt to ask).

Remember that map of Charlotte with all the neighborhood names on it? I'm pretty sure I saw this first on UP a couple of years ago. It's on Charlotte Mag's site here: http://www.charlotte...ere-to-Buy-Now/

I noticed it was uncredited and when I asked them about who should get credit for it, they changed the credit to "Courtesy of Urban Planet." I just want to make sure the proper person gets credit and/or compensation (FYI they once paid me $75 for use of a photo so it doesn't hurt to ask).

That would be The Escapists

Luckily I have the very same print pictured hanging on a wall at home. It's too bad he couldn't get rights to do a mass run of them.

Aye. Though there is also a limit to size. http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/SWS/CurbIt/YardWaste/Pages/Home.aspx

Note: Residents using their personal containers for yard waste collection, should use uncovered containers less than 32 gallons.

Leaves

• Leaves must be placed in untied plastic bags for collection or placed in uncovered trash cans.

Honestly, I put my leaves into my city trash bin (along with my household trash, of which is usually only about a bag a week so I have tons of room in there). I'm not sure this is "allowed" but I also feel like leaves are biodegradable and are already decaying carbon - which seems like it would help the breakdown of other garbage in the landfill....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Makes you rethink desires to have massive (100+) skyscrapers in Charlotte, no?

http://gizmodo.com/5857475/without-trucks-the-tallest-building-in-the-world-would-become-the-tallest-mountain-of-poop

Favorite Quote:

That's a lot of poop.

And all of it has to be removed by trucks. The trucks take all this poop to a sewage treatement facility outside of the city. It's the same with most skyscrapers in Dubai, according to Kate Ascher, author of The Heights. Talking to Fresh Air's Terry Gross, Kate said that these trucks are in a permanent line waiting to get into the sewage treatment plant, waiting up to 24 hours before they can unload their crap. :sick:

Wow! You would think with all the planning/engineering that goes into a building of that magnitude, something as simple (and important) as the sewage system would get hashed out first thing. I like some of the reader comments suggesting power turbines in the pipes so all the falling poo generates power. I still like the idea of a 100+ story building in Charlotte as long as there are sewer lines in place for 100+ stories of sh*t.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this was kind of funny. Monday Night Football's broadcast of the Chargers/Jaguars game this past week mistakenly showed the Charlotte skyline instead of the Jacksonville skyline: http://blogs.fayobserver.com/garbagetime/December-2011/Who-knew-that-Charlotte-played-host-to-last-night- . At least they got it with the BofA tower lit up in Panther blue :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^They're also hypocritical, when it comes to comparing highways and transit. For example, the next funded section of Independence will cost over $170 million. Yet in the 1970's, that was the total cost programmed for the entire length of Independence Boulevard from Uptown to the Outerbelt. Now, how's that for blowing a budget and schedule. Of course, I-485 ain't much better. But really, it's sad to see how anti-transit folks can claim supposed waste, when the Blue Line has some of the best return on investment, and the Blue Line Extension has seen some creative design changes to save money and stay on schedule.

can anyone tell me exactly what led to the central business district being dubbed Uptown, and when that happened? i'm always asked by out of towners, and all i can do is shrug and say "it's a quirk."

I think the root of the phrase is because Uptown is actually "up" in elevation. It is apparently the highest point in Charlotte (I have no reference for that - just what I've heard. Correct me if I am wrong). Aside from that, I think it's also a bit of marketing ploy to make it sound more desirable.

I think the root of the phrase is because Uptown is actually "up" in elevation. It is apparently the highest point in Charlotte (I have no reference for that - just what I've heard. Correct me if I am wrong). Aside from that, I think it's also a bit of marketing ploy to make it sound more desirable.

I heard the phrase originated with Central High School students (where CPCC is now) who had to walk uphill to get to downtown. I believe this was in the late 40s, early 50s. FWIW

This may have been brought up before, but since the Charlotte area is home to two U.S. Presidents (Jackson, Polk), I've always wondered why there hasn't been some sort of statue or monument constructed around the uptown area. I know that they both have very little ties politically to the area, but I've always thought it'd be nice to have something where history buffs like myself could learn about them in a more central location (they both have memorials near their respective birthplaces). Were they selected to be apart of the LSC greenway statue stroll?

I went to the HRC Gala last night, which for those unaware, is for the Human Rights Campaign, a nationwide LGBT org. I'll write more about it in the Pride Thread, but I just wanted to remark here, that at the Convention center was the HRC Gala, the National Association of Campus Activities Fair, and the Charlotte Bikers show.

It really cracked me up to be walking through the convention center to the Crown Ballroom (great space btw) in a tux and seeing all these college age kids and vendors mixing it up with bikers mixing it up with the LGBT scene.

Two thoughts occured to me - I'm thrilled that as a city we have big enough space to accommodate these different events/trade shows all at once and I'm also as thrilled that Charlotte has become the kind of city where these different crowds can mix without a second glance.

On a related note - there was a protester outside the convention center (for the HRC event) spouting about hell and all that stuff - and I thought it was hysterical because most people weren't sure which group he was protesting!

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is well off topic even for the Charlotte Off Topic thread, but I thought this group would appreciate this:

As of yesterday Paris has approved Foster + Partners 2008 Hermitage Plaza Proposal in the La Defense district. Now

I LOVE skyscrapers and their impact on a city's skylines, particularly signature buildings - but are they kidding me?

This invokes NYC's twin towers too much and is the wrong statement for Paris in particular.

dezeen_Hermitage-Plaza-by-Foster-and-Partners_4.jpg

Edited by Urbanity