Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

quick question - will I be happier on a Lufthansa plane or US Airways

I fixed your question for you and I can say without a doubt, Lufthansa will be a nicer flight. I've not flown US Airways internationally in a while but I have flown Lufthansa within the past year and there was no comparison between it and any US flag carrier for quality of service, quality of meals and alcohol and general goodness. Also Munich isn't a bad place to have to lay over - lots of amenities in the terminal without having to clear customs (or immigration).

There was a similar "reclamation" idea floating around a couple years ago called "Park-In-Lots" - where people would set up astro-turf and lawn chairs and play chess in temporary "parks" set up in a single on-street parking space on a busy road. The park lasted just as long as the meter allowed!

Unfortunately, street improvements can only do so much. You also need a contiguous grouping of storefront buildings to create that critical mass worthy of pedestrian propulsion. Scanning Charlotte, that seems to be the bigger void for these types of projects.

Granted, if the demonstration would include pop-up retail (in addition to the pop-up streetscape), then it should translate well to Charlotte. So then, where in Charlotte are there just a few missing teeth in a potential activity zone that lend themselves to these types of pop-up demonstrations?

Edited by southslider

There was a similar "reclamation" idea floating around a couple years ago called "Park-In-Lots" - where people would set up astro-turf and lawn chairs and play chess in temporary "parks" set up in a single on-street parking space on a busy road. The park lasted just as long as the meter allowed!

http://parkingday.org/

A few of us talked about having our office undertake a Park(ing) Day project this year, but we couldn't think of a location where it makes sense. To Charlotte's credit, it sort of reduces the impact when you have towering street trees over your temporary little 9x18 park. In truth, we don't hurt for vegetation or public spaces - not nearly like older, denser cities where Park(ing) Day is a lot more prevalent.

And unfortunately, Charlotte sorely lacks on-street parking along its thoroughfares to even use for pop-up parklettes. In light of this challenge, maybe place pop-up retail in surface parking lots facing streets, as well as pop-up on-street parking and pedscape/streetscape within the outside curb lane of one of Charlotte's many wide, four-lane streets.

I have been thinking about something for quite awhile now. It's comments in some of the forums about factories or industrial buildings being to close to homes/apartments/condos/retail or whatever. Usually these are not attractive or are noisy or are smelly. I think you know what I mean. So these places are usually run off from there easily accessible area to the x urbs where for the most part they are left alone and the city/town that has them is glad to have the revenue. I like the urban enviroment and would like nothing better than have a deluxe apartment in the sky. When I moved to Charlotte in 1990, I had no job. There are not many places near downtown that require a mechanical engineer. So the job search expanded to surrounding counties. I finally landed a job in Monroe. I lived in Elizabeth and commuted to Monroe. That's not a problem anymore because I had to move to Nashville for the job. Well, maybe not had to, but did.

My point, and I do have one, is that these factories make the things that make it possible for city dwellers to dwell. But you don't want to see them. NIMBYism at it's best or worst. I get a little tired of comments like if they tore that down it would be a great place to build some condos or something pretty. It will create some construction jobs for a while then nothing. Everyone tries to replicate the old walkable or transit based environement. What you want did exist but was more or less chased out. People did walk or commute to there jobs in cities and they were not always white collar jobs. So, by all means, re-zone so that nasty factory isn't built in my site line and ruin my view of that lovely park. Sorry for party rockin.

^Old urbanism still very much exists in Charlotte's "mill villages" of Historic Plaza-Midwood and NoDa, including a healthy dose of industrial in the mix. Sure, much of Midwood was planned as exclusive residential surrounding the city's first Country Club. However, the areas closer to the Plaza and Central did originally function more as a small-block village within walking distance of multiple textile mills. Today, one of those mills, the 20-acre Barnhardt complex, is still running strong, as it has for over a century. And ironically, Barnhardt provides a sort of pocket park for the neighborhood on their property with views of the city skyline.

The one place that comes to mind for me is what I think is a cooking oil plant in 4th ward (at least I think it is within 4th ward). It's unattractive, smelly, noisey (trucks in and out) and the train may run thru that place. As more people moved into the core and surrounding areas, they got closer and closer until the place is across the street from condos. So, yes SS there still is remnants of manufacturing. But as the companies leave for what ever reason and the sites become rezoned for something else, the area takes on a more sterile atmosphere. Disney Worldish. Don't get me wrong I loved Charlotte when I lived there and it is high on my list of places to retire to. The one factory that may still be there is a cookie factory, at least I think it was cookies. I never knew where it was, but the aroma on days when the wind was right would drift past my house. mmmmmmmmmm, cookies. I just think a healthy mix of manufacturing, housing, retail and the white collar business (banks and such) would make a better environment. Maybe not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be a totally shameless fundraiser for a moment.

Do you hate cancer? Do you love bikes? Then you sound like the perfect candidate to support my attempt to pass out in the middle of Myers Park at this year's 24 Hours of Booty, where I'm shooting for 150 miles. (113 last year!) Hopefully the passing out part will be just after achieving that goal. I'll already be in spandex, so it can't be that much more embarrassing.

Anywho, if you've read this far, I invite you to my 24HOB page/blog.

'Preciate any way you can help out!

...and as of this typing I couldn't actually access the UP forum rules, so if this post is a blatant violation, I shall have to beg forgiveness.

Did anyone realize that Charlotte was featured on Man Vs. Food Nation on Wednesday? It was the season premiere. Adam Richman visited The Penguin, Price's Chicken Coop, an Jackalope Jacks (the challenge was there - 25 pulled pork sliders in 45 minutes - failed). When was he here? I don't recall hearing anything about it.

Edited by ScottCLT

If you're as big of a dork as I am and you don't know about it already, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kztNWdhRdnw&feature=player_embedded

Man, that just took me back to my teens. I am very excited that they are continuing the franchise (kinda thought they had abandoned it), but I may have to stay far away from this one. I simply don't have the spare time to effectively dive into another Simcity title. It's much easier to ignore responsibilities as a seventeen year old as opposed to neglecting adult duties.

I've seen to have developed an affectionate for cigars lately and looking for information of best places to get educated on the types/brands/flavors.

I know there is a great place in Ballantyne and I heard of one opening on Morehead. Any other places I should check out?

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo I just found myself very abruptly and unexpectedly unemployed. Should anyone hear of an architecture firm looking for an Architect (licensed) that's a Revit power user and with significant experience in LEED, social marketing, higher education and a healthy dose of healthcare and project management... I'm looking.

Sooo I just found myself very abruptly and unexpectedly unemployed. Should anyone hear of an architecture firm looking for an Architect (licensed) that's a Revit power user and with significant experience in LEED, social marketing, higher education and a healthy dose of healthcare and project management... I'm looking.

Sorry to hear that. Architecture is a hard field to get a job with once layed off in this economy. I wish you well with your job search.

• 1 month later...