Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Only big banks and utilities would build such tall towers near so much surface parking.  Otherwise, high land values are needed for open-market tenants or less monopolistic entities.  But at least, thanks to the largesse of Charlotte's recent past, Uptown now has some critical mass to attract market-rate infill, albeit mid-rise.  Only with time (and a lot less land), might another high rise make sense.

Our skyline just isn't ready for something like this yet. We need more filler, more density. That tower looks so lonely up there; it's not as bad as say, Taipei 101, but it's pretty brutal.

Maybe 70 stories would be more appropriate. It would be just 10-stories more than the BofA tower and would look less out of place.

I would not be upset if a smaller version of this tower was built on Crescent (Former Trump) lot... 

I've noticed that there are some elements from the Chrysler Tower in this design. I would like to see a new tallest for Charlotte. The economy is not so great now so it may be some time before that happens

Maybe 70 stories would be more appropriate. It would be just 10-stories more than the BofA tower and would look less out of place.

I guess it's a possibility. They're still working on the master plan, supposedly. If they decided to integrate the Office tower, Hotel/Residential into a single tower, I don't see why it couldn't be the new tallest if they really desired to. But I think it will be 2 towers  based off of the wink wink, nod, nods of some posters.

I would not be upset if a smaller version of this tower was built on Crescent (Former Trump) lot... 

That building screams Charlotte, to me. It'd be amazing from SouthEnd.

I've noticed that there are some elements from the Chrysler Tower in this design. I would like to see a new tallest for Charlotte. The economy is not so great now so it may be some time before that happens

A new tallest would be nice. But at least BofA is what I'd call a 'worthy tallest', a classic. I was just out in LA and feel the same way about its Library Tower which, incidentally, has been LA's tallest since 1989.

There's something happening here...

The opening lyrics of What it's Worth just seem to keep playing in my head lately.  The city (as well as State) seems to be going through some massive changes not just in buildings and such, but as a rumbling in the foundation underneath.  Everything from the failed CIP;  Mayor ripping the Chamber publicly; The local restaurant association fighting against the Panther's tax; A majority Dem City Council not agreeing enough for Majority votes;  the mini revolt of Meck County Commissioners against Meck County Staff...   Something seems to be happening.

My feeling of the origin is two fold:  The national and state culture is changing.  Much like how culture changes from one decade to the next (50's to 60's; 80's to 90's) but that is in confluence of the second change:  Charlotte has hit a benchmark of being too big to be master planned by a handful of leaders whether of a handful of financial benefactors or one political party.  While in the past it was guided through the cultural/economic changes that affected the nation in previous decades - it is simply too large powerful now on its own to be controlled in such a way again.  

In short - I think the city is coming into its own as a being that can be less controlled by its individual parts than limiting what its individual parts can do on their own.

How it gets through this sort of adolescent to adulthood stage is what is going to determine our future.  Will we be another big and struggling city or will we rise to be a major city of importance.   Time will tell.  Anyway for what it's worth.

This philosophical post has been brought to you by too much coffee in the early morning...

Edited by Urbanity

Atlanta had me drooling during my connecting flight through Atlanta.

Their airport makes the city feel soooo world class. The Delta ramp vehicles and placards on jet bridges and everywhere had Delta logos saying "Proud to be Atlantas Hometown Airline"

Coke had lots of ads and services, CNN had a lot of visible ads also. These companies are such an asset and so supportive of their community, it's amazing. The shopping was phenomenal (though I'd never shop in an airport... Can't imagine why anyone would... Unless they had money to blow I guess).

My point is, Atlantas fortune 500's really bolster their identity. Wish more of ours were. :)

Have to agree, Atlanta's companies seem there to stay, ours feel like they're ready to jump ship or sell when the opportunity is right, is dispairing, though to be honest I'd say that seems to be a NC general trait as well.  Perhaps just the same everywhere, but still, ATL seems to keep its big companies for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever think BB&T would relocate it's H/Q or have a major expansion in Charlotte but keep regional offices and such in Winston?

Our airport is often cited as a huge benefit and the Greensboro airport is on the small side. As BB&T grows bigger, would it be beneficial for them to move to CLT?

Does anyone ever think BB&T would relocate it's H/Q or have a major expansion in Charlotte but keep regional offices and such in Winston?

Our airport is often cited as a huge benefit and the Greensboro airport is on the small side. As BB&T grows bigger, would it be beneficial for them to move to CLT?

I would like to see the HQ shift to Charlotte. It is a great institution and weathered the financial crisis quite well...much better than our behemoth banks. I do not see such a move taking place anytime in the near future though. They seem to be entrenched in the Triad. Edited by cltbwimob