Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

There are some quirks in the code that allow it. One possibility is that the wood is all fire retardant and they're meeting some other fire resistance requirements. Another is that there will be a significant fire separation between floors 1 and 2 that, in theory, makes the bottom two floors a "separate building" from the top 4 floors. 

(If anyone is terribly interested, the 2012 NC Building Code is available for free from http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_resources/2012NorthCarolina/12NorthCarolina_main.html)

What I think is funny is how all of these reps from rural counties believe they know what is best for the urban counties, and they aren't listening to any input. It feels as if a republican lawmaker proposes something it is all but gauranteed to pass with little or no discussion allowed (and when there is discussion no matter how many residents dislike the bill doesn't matter b/c the GOP is going to do what the GOP wants to do). Seriously they want to roll back city environmental controls b/c they feel they are hurting business in the state?! The cities aren't the ones having issues attracting new businesses, industry and residents, it's the rural counties that have stagnated ever since the manufacturing and agricultural prospects have faded....

Edited by NCMike1981

I'm kinda glad we didn't make this one lol...  Almost feeds good to see the ATL slandered a bit.

And yet when reading the criteria they used, not adjusted for population, makes it looks even more meaningless than most of these lists.

I love ATL, but wouldn't take any joy anyway in seeing them get ripped for something when its this inaccurate. 

This is awesome, a nesting pair of Peregrine Falcon (w/ chicks) has made a home on an executive office balcony @ One Wells Fargo in uptown.

Wells Fargo even put a live streaming webcam on the nest.

Article:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2013/05/new-face-in-wells-fargo-executive.html

Nest Webcam: http://www.childressklein.com/falcon1.aspx

falcon1*304.jpg?v=1

• Like 1

Mayor Gantt & Mayor Knoxx are awesome! Vinroot is okay.

The forum between McCrory, Myrick, Vinroot, Gantt & Knox was great :) loved seeing McCrory being confronted about legislators acting wacko and about the airport authority & especially about the airport authority.

• Like 1

Maybe this is "Concord Off-Topic" but meaningful to Charlotte none-the-less.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/21/4055104/charlotte-motor-speedway-owner.html

Basically, Bruton Smith is threatening to move the October Sprint Cup Race to Las Vegas unless something is done about Cabarrus County tax rates (which the article mentions have doubled on the track since '05).  Now, before you all give the knee-jerk "NASCAR who cares" reaction that I even initially gave, the importance of the October race on the local economy is undeniable.  Losing it would simply be bad.  

That said, I don't have a remedy for this situation.  Bruton Smith is a blow-hard whining billionaire that holds Concord and Cabarrus County hostage on an almost constant basis.  I do not favor simply giving in to his demands but am also curious of how serious he is.  Worst of all, this is just another putrid example of our resident billionaires that represent Charlotte as a whole.  For the most part, the super rich of Metrolina really seem to be focused on bleeding every last dime out of us as opposed to helping out. It's a shame we don't get more philanthropy and city support from our 1% comparable to other cities across the US.

Bruton Smith is in it for Bruton Smith.  FYI, you can't take it with you Bruton.

• Like 1

Years ago, while selling auto parts to one of his car dealerships we had an experience I'll never forget. His dealership went past due with us so we held an order. He had his delivery man pay the bill (several hundred dollars) in bags of pennies. Nice guy.

Anyway, I own some rural Cabarrus County. I too have seen my taxes soar. I'm actually going to put it in a conservancy. (mostly due to helping the environment as best I can, but also to save on taxes).  My thing with Cabarrus County is, that like many counties next to Mecklenburg, they want to attract all the businesses from Charlotte. Somehow this progress will "grow the tax base", etc. All is seems to have done to us residents of Cabarrus is raise our taxes. The added amenities are negligible. I personally hate Concord Mills and all the hoopla. So really what's the rush in attracting more and more people and commerce? Doing so really does not hold taxes steady.

As a long-term resident of Cabarrus County, I am ready to see any scenario in which Concord calls Smith's bluff.  My gut says that team owners and drivers will lean heavily on him to retain the October race in Concord for the simple pleasure of having the opportunity to sleep in their own beds.

• 2 weeks later...

http://insidestoryobs.blogspot.com/2013/06/why-we-are-changing-our-comments-policy.html

Ok I know I'm not the only person who enjoys reading the comments in a controversial Charlotte Observer post... Very interesting decision. Will unmasking people reveal an angry janitor and a certain gwumpy wasist wabbit? Hmmm....

I'm glad that the Observer decided to get with the times. Honestly, the comments section has far too many trolls who have far too much time to waste posting stupid, hateful and did I say stupid stuff? I avoid ever referencing an Observer article to a friend or colleague for that very reason. The FB plugin won't fully solve the problem, but at least when people from out of town visit the site and read comments you'll likely have less idiotic, condescending replies. 

Edited by wend28

http://insidestoryobs.blogspot.com/2013/06/why-we-are-changing-our-comments-policy.html

Ok I know I'm not the only person who enjoys reading the comments in a controversial Charlotte Observer post... Very interesting decision. Will unmasking people reveal an angry janitor and a certain gwumpy wasist wabbit? Hmmm....

Yeah, the wabbit makes himself apparent on nearly very article, and though I tend to disagree with him most times, he has made a number of good points. This assumes that you are referring to the same wabbit that I am! Oh, and FredTheJanitor is just a comic, to me at least. I don't thinking have ever agreed with anything he has ever said. It has been funny reading his posts, though.

Sorry to get political on here, but I've had enough of the asshats we call the NC Legislature.  Now they're trying to get rid of LEED certified projects at the state level.  Morons.  I WANT MY STATE BACK!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/06/anti-leed-bill-nc-senate-committee.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-06-05&u=28794962024ea555b360327ed072bf&t=1370460656

Bicycles East in Matthews.  While it's not geared towards BMX per say they can fix anything, and if memory serves they used to have BMX accessories (foot pegs etc...).

Edited by DEnd