Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I think they are pretty much the definition of street bike place...? I have a BMX that needs a new set of handlebars and a chain.

Looks like they are under new ownership and changed names to Mojo.  As for the chain they can definitely do that, and you are likely to get the best deal on a handle bar online. 

That said isn't there a shop at Hornets Nest park?  yep: http://www.ncbmx.com/in-the-zone-bicycle-shop/

The Vue has a yellow crown tonight. Never seen that. Someone explain.

It has had a yellow crown for a few weeks now it seems. I am not sure why. It had white light, it went dark for several days or weeks (I don't remember spans of time that well) and then it has had yellow lights since.

Not all that surprising actually.  White people forgot to breed, and since they're scared of other races they have all ran and hidden in suburban hell where they can huddle around the fireplace cuddling their ar-15's and making sure not to make eye contact with their neighbors.

<-- White Former Charlottean living in farming paradise, dreading the apparent oncoming suburbanization, at the same time wishing he were back in the city (sorta).  

I'm somewhat joking with that.  The new demographics do somewhat represent that trend, but I think the most important thing it shows is just how Charlotte is viewed by the nations immigrants, and that is a city of opportunity.  And that is something Charlotte should be very proud of.

Edited by DEnd

Here goes nothing, by the end of July I'll be a resident of Steel Gardens in NoDa!

I'm somewhat jealous.  I can't live in Charlotte full time, but I would love to have a place around there, Uptown, Elizabeth, or South End for a crash pad when I'm there for work (typically 1-3 nights a week), but I can't really justify the cost of it right now.

Yesterday I drove up to Winston-Salem to visit a friend - Great city but good god there are a lot of billboards on our highways.  Is it just me or did the billboard population explode recently?  I know about the law allowing Adams, et al to dramatically cut down trees around their signs but surely that isn't the only reason why there are so many littering the highway.

I've only lived in Charlotte for about seven years but I don't remember being so visually brutalized on our highways as I was yesterday.  What happened to taking pride in the natural beauty of this state?

Are we trying to imulate Florida, South Carolina and Ohio in ugliness?

I don't really mind billboards near highways.  While they are advertisements, for the most part they tend to be more informative than most other forms.  For example I now know which exits the Adam & Eve sex shop is off of in Gastonia...  Hmmm... come to think about it that information really isn't useful to me.  Oh well at least I'll know how much money I'm not going to win in the lottery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the NC Legislature wants to ban "protest petitions" which in effect would remove the requirement that if the community submits a petition challenging a zoning change or development, the developer needs a super majority vote ( 9 for Charlotte City council example) in favor in order to proceed.

I'm of mixed feelings about this as on one hand I think it is abused as a general NIMBY tool by many areas without rhyme or reason outside of they don'w want it (which I'm sorry - IMO that is not good enough reason when you live in a city) however, I think it takes away an important resource for not allowing developers to go unchecked either.

Thoughts?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/15/4166171/bill-would-weaken-neighbors-ability.html

Edited by Urbanity

I'm the same, kind of mixed feelings. It does seem like the bar for a protest petition is a little low, especially since public input is already had at rezoning hearings. It seems like a sort of "filibuster-ish" approach to prevent egregious rezoning.

I've read a little more about it and looks like the points I mention is only the surface.  Seems that I missed the larger impact of removing municipality rights by the state.

I've got to admit this GOP led legislature has done everything possible since they took over to make one think they want to be branded as the party of big and intrusive government...

EDIT - unrelated side note/question.  Has anyone else noticed that paragraph spacing (line breaks) disappears sometimes between the original writing of the post and then posting it lately?

Edited by Urbanity

Yeah, apparently the Tree Ordinance would be affected too. This is another case of the GOP, who if I am not mistaken is all for less central governemnt, taking away rights from citizens. Oh, you don't know what you're doing so we'll take control of that from you.

I know the protest petition is a thorn in the side of developers, I get that 1000%, but the residents in the affected area should have the ability to have a say-so in their neighborhood. Local government is where these powers should lie, we should make the decisions that affect our lives.