Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Any last minute predictions/anticipations/hopes for CLT in 2014?

Mine: 

• Crescent Stonewall St formal announcement of Designs and Groundbreaking and it is a significant skyline component
  • All previously announced hotel and apartment projects in CBD/South end are built (near completition/significant construction by this time next year)
  • Some kind of Downtown major retail announcement
  • CLT population #'s announced at between 820K - 840k in the spring 
  • Ground breaking on CLT Control tower, and Intl Terminal
  • Major Corp HQ relocation to CBD 
  • Panthers in Superbowl!
  • Like 1

Any last minute predictions/anticipations/hopes for CLT in 2014?

Mine: 

• Crescent Stonewall St formal announcement of Designs and Groundbreaking and it is a significant skyline component
  • All previously announced hotel and apartment projects in CBD/South end are built (near completition/significant construction by this time next year)
  • Some kind of Downtown major retail announcement
  • CLT population #'s announced at between 820K - 840k in the spring 
  • Ground breaking on CLT Control tower, and Intl Terminal
  • Major Corp HQ relocation to CBD 
  • Panthers in Superbowl!

All of this, plus my hope and dream of some sort of Memorial Stadium reno to a Soccer Specific Stadium proposal.  

• Like 2

I feel like we're hopeful for some major uptown retail announcement every year... I just don't see it happening any time soon (using reverse psychology here).

I agree with the Crescent project being announced. Based on what's been mentioned by another poster, I'll go with the 1 tower, but it will be some kind of interesting architecture that will make it seem like it's two. 

We'll have some sort of announcement about the 210 Trade replacement. I like the idea of split residential/hotel or split hotels which were discussed previously. Construction will commence in the 2nd half of 2014. 

SouthEnd will announce a hotel tower of some kind (think 12-15 stories). 

Levine will still be sitting on his master plan.

Panthers will beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Uptown will have a ridiculous parade in their honor a few days after.

In their final season as the Bobcats before the Hornets name change, the Cats will in typical fashion find a way not to make the playoffs. 

The new American Airlines will announce some new routes from CLT that were previously unthought of on this board. 

Ballantyne will steal another new prospective corporate relo from uptown. We'll all piss and moan about it for a month.

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

^ Love the mid-rise SouthEnd hotel announcement spec.  Ditto Panthers celebration parade, but what the hell do we do after that, pace nervously until August??  :)  Bobcats blowing it should be good, in fact blowing in spectacularly, lets get the good draft picks before the re-inauguration as the Hornets.  Wait, we didn't trade those did we?  And go Ballantyne (and Southpark), we'll eventually need other CBD's when we're at 4M (metro) and counting, they'll just become too expensive and drive things back downtown.

I'd like to see the N Tryon commission or whatever it is actually announce a concrete plan, with dates, that is good, and has the teeth to push down people's throats, ahemLevineendahem.  And maybe talking to an Aussie via Remotakiosk.

• Like 1

^ Love the mid-rise SouthEnd hotel announcement spec.  Ditto Panthers celebration parade, but what the hell do we do after that, pace nervously until August??   :)  Bobcats blowing it should be good, in fact blowing in spectacularly, lets get the good draft picks before the re-inauguration as the Hornets.  Wait, we didn't trade those did we?  And go Ballantyne (and Southpark), we'll eventually need other CBD's when we're at 4M (metro) and counting, they'll just become too expensive and drive things back downtown.

I'd like to see the N Tryon commission or whatever it is actually announce a concrete plan, with dates, that is good, and has the teeth to push down people's throats, ahemLevineendahem.  And maybe talking to an Aussie via Remotakiosk.

Wait, we didn't trade those did we?

We have Three 1st round picks next year, based on trades that we are owed picks from. We could easily bundle two of them with an expiring contract (Ben Gordon) and get a top 5 pick. So I Disagree with the Bobcats Sentiment. I think we make the playoffs and make some noise, and take whoever to game 6 after we grind out a couple wins but ultimately lose.

Hm... A bid for a major sports event.

I'm ready for the next State of The City by CCP. They usually have a few minor details to feed speculation. Like their previous one discusses Crescent as having 300 residential units.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I started to say that 485 would be completed, but the internet has corrected me: it's actually scheduled for April 2015. 

You've got to be kidding me. When did it change? It was 2014...I have it on my calendar. Then again, I-85 widening was supposed to wrap this month...before it was pushed.

Google maps is updated with Romare & BB&T complete

I'd like to see plans for 300 South Tryon Block developed as two buildings. An office Tower fronting Tryon & Apartments fronting Romare with retail primarily on Tryon & Church with the lobbies fronting 3rd

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Well, I wish I had included my source (which I don't recall), but indeed it seems to say December 2014 in most places. I wonder if that's the "open" date, and their would be work continuing through 2015.

Well, I honestly wasn't questioning the accuracy of your new date as much as I was expressing frustration for them missing their deadline. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it has slipped to 2015 (although I hope somehow it IS still 2014).

I'd like to see plans for 300 South Tryon Block developed as two buildings. An office Tower fronting Tryon & Apartments fronting Romare with retail primarily on Tryon & Church with the lobbies fronting 3rd

FYI, it is only updated on the old google maps, not the beta for the new one (for those that have it).

The new map shows how massive the intermodal terminal is. Also is that a FedEx MD-11 parked on the ramp?

Wait, we didn't trade those did we?

We have Three 1st round picks next year, based on trades that we are owed picks from. We could easily bundle two of them with an expiring contract (Ben Gordon) and get a top 5 pick. So I Disagree with the Bobcats Sentiment. I think we make the playoffs and make some noise, and take whoever to game 6 after we grind out a couple wins but ultimately lose.

I think one of those picks (to Chicago for the Tyrus Thomas trade -- UGH!) is Top-10 protected. At the rate the season is going, we very well may have 3 picks!

I think one of those picks (to Chicago for the Tyrus Thomas trade -- UGH!) is Top-10 protected. At the rate the season is going, we very well may have 3 picks!

The Pistons pick from the Ben Gordon trade is Top 8 protected, and right now the Pistons are tied for the tenth worst record in the league.  The Eastern Conference is so bad, however, that makes the Pistons the 8 seed in the playoffs.

The Trailblazers pick is Top 12 protected. 

I don't think that the Hornets will be able to get into the top 5.  The top 4-6 prospects this year are considered to be guys with franchise star potential.  It's very unlikely that a team can package picks to move up for one of those top guys.