Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

What 10 years will do!! (Love ClearSkyImages)

p576391136-4.jpg

p1486153760-5.jpg

It looks so weird to see CTC so desolate (flickr);

3446572367_2a0d096c5e.jpg
Downtown Charlotte by propnose, on Flickr

And fast forward to 2013

p568660561-4.jpg

And I'm ready to fast forward for Skyhouse, Crescent, Portman, Embassy Suites, Fountains Stonewall, all the little buildings around BB&T stadium, etc.

Its hard finding pictures in the 2002 date.... I'd love to see other pics of uptown from the pre Bobcats arena era.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

More like every hour.

Same here.

Im not sure why Crescent doesn't release more information. If Anythig, I would imagine it would only be beneficial to release more information to the public. Even if it still is early in the game. Conceptual drawings, floor counts, retail space, place holders etc.

I'm not sure Crescent would have any competition on a Highrise office project. There's Portmans tower... But I haven't heard any rumblings on any other potential Highrise office tower.

Same here.

Im not sure why Crescent doesn't release more information. If Anythig, I would imagine it would only be beneficial to release more information to the public. Even if it still is early in the game. Conceptual drawings, floor counts, retail space, place holders etc.

I'm not sure Crescent would have any competition on a Highrise office project. There's Portmans tower... But I haven't heard any rumblings on any other potential Highrise office tower.

Agreed. What is the harm in doing it?

I've only been following UP since around Oct/Nov 2012. How does the delay on announcements of the Crescent site compare to say, Duke Energy or Hearst Tower when the news about those towers first broke?

Its incomparable to those, because those were not developed as spec towers, they were developed by Wachovia/Duke and Bofa Respectfully. Honestly there is no comparison, as Spec office in the current market conditions has no precedence except in Ballantyne, and Bissell pays cash for all its projects.. The closest comparison is the Ally Bank building, but even that is a poor comparison as it was developed in the bubble days, and was bundled with two other buildings (one of which never came to be)

Edited by Guest

I've only been following UP since around Oct/Nov 2012. How does the delay on announcements of the Crescent site compare to say, Duke Energy or Hearst Tower when the news about those towers first broke?

The latest BOA tower On College was probably announced/built as fast as Childress Klein. Duke Energy after public announcements went up fast.

But even before the current Duke Energy had official renderings, there were conceptual renderings of a tall, skinny rectangular building and a wide, shorter rectangle condo tower.

Going way off topic here but I've been fortunate enough to be working around Asia for the past week.  I had some downtime yesterday and made it over to Taipei 101.  Thought I'd share a few iPhone photos I took walking to the building and from the top.

I was impressed by the height and thought I was close but in this one I was 5 blocks away still.

1601291_742113926247_1235674150_n.jpg

1535545_742113986127_697801944_n.jpg

Views of Taipei from the top:

1016708_742114350397_1683628960_n.jpg

1017141_742114355387_122385684_n.jpg

I'll be in Shanghai Thursday-Saturday so I will try to take some good city pics to share while I'm there. 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

Some time ago I was trying to explain to some of my friends how massive the SWFC is compared to our mini-version.  I don't think they had an idea until I put renders of them next to each other, as the SWFC is 252 meters taller than the Duke Energy Building.  And to think that the Shanghai Tower just DWARFS the SWFC is frankly stunning.

post-26833-0-40626700-1390225473_thumb.j

Edited by ah59396

Taipei 101 is an awesome building. I was able to go up to the top a few years ago. But it's such an odd building for their skyline - the next tallest building is 1/2 the height of Taipei 101 and nearly all others are less than 1/4 that tall. Looks very bizarre in a skyline of nearly all 10-20 story buildings...

Urban Land Institute is having a regional (Charlotte, SC, and Triangle ULI) conference at Westin.  Looked at agenda.  Jaw Dropped.  I present reason though I don't think I should have bothered to bold...

Friday, January 24, 2014;8:45 am  
Topic: Carolina Community Builders  
o Moderated by Debra Campbell, Interim Assistant City Manager of Charlotte, Planning Director, Charlotte‐Mecklenburg 
o Nancy Welsh, Builders of Hope 
o Rep. Ruth Samuelson, NC House of Representatives

They're kidding, right?   I'm surprised Daniel Levine is not key note speaker on a subject like Don't Believe the Hype; Following through on Development Promises
  • Like 1

Here's a look at the largest stadiums in the world, including Charlotte's very own Bank of America Stadium:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/gallery/worlds-largest-stadiums

To my surprise, I never knew Clemson's Memorial Stadium has a larger seating capacity than the BoA Studium. Faurot Field and Kenan Memorial Stadium are pretty close, too.

Gah my day in Shanghai turned into a day at the facility in Suzhou/on freeway G2.  Not much to see out there yet but definitely looks like a growing city.  For those wanting pics of Duke Energy's big brother fear not, my new job will send me to Asia every 3 months for about 2 weeks at a time so I will have ample opportunities to share pictures of the architecture here.

http://www.bechtler.org/Learn/Events/details/guest-lecture-architect-mario-botta

It's already sold out, but Mario Botta, designer of the Bechtler Museum, will be in Charlotte giving a lecture on 2/1.

This coincides with a Botta exhibition going on throughout much of the Bechtler from now through July. I recommend you check it out if you are interested in architecture, he has an amazing body of work. 

• Like 2