Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I think the most off-putting thing I've noticed about living here is the knee-jerk, mostly baseless hate for Atlanta. It's a great city that shares more similarities with Charlotte than anyone seems willing to admit. 

I'm mostly being facetious, I know Atlanta has a lot going for it and is a major Southern city for good reason. I do think Charlotte is better and has a brighter future, though. I think some in Charlotte, mostly natives, have a kind of little-brother syndrome with Atlanta.

my dislike of Atlanta is not baseless, I lived near enough to the city for 10 plus years to know what it is all about. Its a great city, as long as:

1) you are happy to drive everywhere

and

2) You never need to drive more than three miles for any trip

Unfortunately, its tough to find a place to be in the metro that meets those two requirements.

In truth as someone not from Charlotte originally - I find most of the  " knee-jerk, mostly baseless hate for Atlanta" to be more of a fear of Charlotte being Atlanta (with perceptions of huge mega-city problems) someday than of any hate against the city itself.   

It's almost cliche to say Charlotte people hate Atlanta or that Charlotte has a desire to be Atlanta.   Sometimes its as simple as people are afraid of losing the city they grew up in or moved to originally.  

Is there a topic or any discussion about the lack of a proper avenue in the city? Am I the only one who would like to see something along the lines of the Camps-Elysees, or even Canal St in NOLA? A search offered way to may results to wade through in a reasonable amount of time.

^I don't think there is a topic on that.   On a related note - That idea is at the heart of the 2020 Center City Plan for 2nd Ward (Actually they want to make a Boulevard loop through all 4 wards, but I think the potential is strongest in Stonewall section)

Edit:  See Stonewall/277 Section:  http://files.charlottecentercity.org/2020/Charlotte2020VisionPlan_4_FocusAreas.pdf

Edited by Urbanity

^I don't think there is a topic on that.   On a related note - That idea is at the heart of the 2020 Center City Plan for 2nd Ward (Actually they want to make a Boulevard loop through all 4 wards, but I think the potential is strongest in Stonewall section)

Edit:  See Stonewall/277 Section:  http://files.charlottecentercity.org/2020/Charlotte2020VisionPlan_4_FocusAreas.pdf

They point to this chapter regarding a Boulevard Loop

(Integrated Transportation Network section in Chapter 3: Transformative Strategies)

I guess with all the snow we won't get any exciting economic or construction announcements this week

Finding out more details on Crescent (300 Hotel 700,000 Office), hearing about a new 26 floor proposal in 3rd ward, hearing more details on 36 floor building on College, and hearing about a 25 floor building in Midtown weren't enough for you over the last 10 days?

Finding out more details on Crescent (300 Hotel 700,000 Office), hearing about a new 26 floor proposal in 3rd ward, hearing more details on 36 floor building on College, and hearing about a 25 floor building in Midtown weren't enough for you over the last 10 days?

Nothing is enough until cranes are in the air and announcements are made.  :thumbsup:

The rumors and speculation are nice and all, but until shovels are in the ground on any of these projects it's tempered excitement. 

The company has been working on this for almost a year. Announcement and turning dirt should be forthcoming.

Edited by Guest

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2014-02-charlotte-uptown-cbd-aerial-photos

This gallery of uptown is password protected. I wonder if it was aerials of a specific property that a client wanted (210 trade, crescent, etc)

Or if it's a coincidence or a new platform they're doing etc

Edited by AirNostrumMAD