Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

This is very interesting...

http://gizmodo.com/u-s-economic-activity-split-in-half-and-mapped-1524966661

If you look at the map, Charlotte is included in the 50% GDP, but Atlanta is not... HMMMM

I was looking at that this morning as well and the comment section is loaded with people confused about it not including Kansas City, Atlanta, Denver, etc.  I think the simple explanation would have to be that adding it would go over 50% the author is trying to make a point about... although I think it would make a much more interesting article to add a few more spots and say "these tiny spots make up 80%..."

idk

I too wondered about that, they really didn't provide any information about how the map was designed.

You can see the actual Gross Metro Product data from the US Dept of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?reqid=70&step=1&isuri=1&acrdn=2#

A quick glance shows that Atlanta's GMP is $294 billion and Charlotte's is $137

Based on this I am guessing he just randomly selected cities until he reached 50% of US GDP.

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2014-02-uptown-charlotte

That photo gallery focuses on what seems to be Carillon & Charlotte Plaza.

It seems to be for real estate investment banker Eastdil Secured (wholly owned by Wells Fargo) of Atlanta; http://www.eastdilsecured.com/_about/overview.htm

Assuming Eastdil were interested in those buildings, what does that mean? I'm not exactly sure what A real estate investment banker does/would do with these properties?

Edit;

Hines owns both

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2012/11/carillon-wins-leed-gold-certification.html?r=full

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

A few years ago there was talk about Radio Shack moving its HQ to Charlotte... They just announced today that they will be closing 1100 stores (20% of their locations). The downward spiral for this company continues. Consider that a dodged bullet..

I cant believe they still have 1100 stores, let alone that being only 20% of their total. Guess they shouldn't have wasted all that money on a Super Bowl spot.

Edited by Jayvee

Can anyone tell me why LRT systems like Charlotte, Houston or Denver do not show on Google Maps, but Dallas's LRT or Toronto's Streetcar are shown?  I never understood if it was just laziness on the part of Google, or if there was some actual selective purpose to not showing those respective systems.

I think it has to do with the data CATS makes available. I've seen some cities that have bus routes also drawn in, but that seems more hit-and-miss. Transit data only shows up on Google as respective transit agencies make it available via and open-data format.

I think it has to do with the data CATS makes available. I've seen some cities that have bus routes also drawn in, but that seems more hit-and-miss. Transit data only shows up on Google as respective transit agencies make it available via and open-data format.

I honestly wouldn't doubt it if Dollars and Cents had to do with it. You pay Google enough, and they put u on the map, literally.

Edited by Guest

Oh, I see, in Dallas you get a line drawn in with the appropriate color.

Ha-ha, there ya go.  Sorry, I should have clarified.

Ah, thanks!  This helps to...sort of...explain it, haha.  I do think it'd be nice for Charlotte to better showcase their line if it was on Google Maps.  I mean, everyone uses it.

I just wanted to take a moment to vent - again - about CCCP changing all of it's maps and signage for uptown to "east/west/north/south" designations instead of using the ward system. It was prior to the DNC they made that change, and it still annoys the heck out of me.

• Like 3

It still is a shame about those.  

Most disturbing to me is CCCP talks about their struggle to build a vision and a perception about Uptown that conquers the past reputation of Charlotte being an artificial city (all tall buildings with no soul; urban office park) which was caused by urban revitalization efforts that discarded Charlotte's history and unique structures all for the opportunity to clear the way for us to build bland-it-could-be-anywhere structures and parking lots. 

The irony is that one way they attempt to correct this is by discarding the names of the historic 4 wards for a new urban directional wayfinder that is based on artificial North South East and West monikers that could be found anywhere and which unfortunately  usually includes areas that are not in those actual geographic areas on a real map. 

I just wanted to take a moment to vent - again - about CCCP changing all of it's maps and signage for uptown to "east/west/north/south" designations instead of using the ward system. It was prior to the DNC they made that change, and it still annoys the heck out of me.

That irks me too. The new designations are more difficult to follow for a visitor because they cut diagonally through the blocks. So you end up with buildings that are half in "East" and half in "South" etc.