Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I took a walk this morning from downtown to Eas Boulevard.  Walking allows a much more detailed examination of one's surroundings than either driving or the train.  I can recall when The Block on Church was being developed it was in a sea of abandond warehouses and empty lots.  Now it is surrounded and the area feels great.  Walking back I couldn't help but imagine the impending changes that the Portman and Crescent impact will make on viewing the city from the south end.  That, plus the strain it will put on developing the North Tryon corridor from Trade to 11th st.

Perhaps someone will reconvince RISD to actually relocate there!

• Like 1

If I asked this before, I forgot the answer. What are these things just west of Intermezzo? There's one on the other side of Central as well. They look like old closed-off tunnel openings to me, but they're not very tall.

tunnels_zps15dcd5cf.jpg

They are indeed tunnels for school kids to cross under the busy road. But they became dangerous, because homeless were camping out so they were closed.

I found an interesting video on CNN money regarding Chinese manufacturers placing production facilities in the US. The video spotlights two Greater Charlotte facilities-the new Keer spinning plant in Lancaster County and the Sun Fibers plant in Chester County.

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/economy/2014/10/23/we-the-economy-made-by-china-in-america.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=MKT_Taboola

Edited by cltbwimob

I've heard the story about uptown being "uptown" due to a PR stunt tied to it being on a high point of terrain (764 feet, in fact) etc etc, and the Wikipedia page for Tryon Street even says (erroneously) that Trade & Tryon is the highest spot in Meck county: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryon_Street

But I got to wondering: What point is closest to Trade & Tryon and also at a higher elevation?  I don't have a good way to find this, but through trial & error I found a concrete plaza (apparently at ground level) outside the Jack S Brayboy Gym at Johnson C Smith.  That plaza is a couple feet higher in elevation, and is 1.34 miles from Trade & Tryon.  (If that plaza is artificially elevated, you can go a little more northwest and find a spot (on Dixon between Solomon and Campus) at the same elevation that is 1.52 miles from center city.)

That beats 1.82 miles at Parkwood and Parson, and also 1.89 miles at Lucerna and Franklin (at which point there is a big radio tower of some kind).

Can you find a spot closer than 1.34 miles to uptown that has a higher elevation than 764 feet?

In googling for an answer, I found Brad Panavich's search for the highest point in Meck County, which is semi-interesting and has some historical Charlotte stuff:

http://wxbrad.com/the-highest-point-in-charlotte-is-a-cul-de-sac/

With the excitement of all the new projects discussed today I looked through various cities construction projects.

Austin & Atlanta are the only city outside of NYC (31), Miami (52!!!) and Chicago (25) that has built more buildings than Charlotte over 200ft since 2000. They both have 16 to our 15. However they both do not have 4 towers planned like we do :)

Go Charlotte!

Edit: I lied Austin has a few major buildings going up including a 50 story, 1000 room hotel (!!!!)

Edited by Jayvee

With the excitement of all the new projects discussed today I looked through various cities construction projects.

Austin & Atlanta are the only city outside of NYC (31), Miami (52!!!) and Chicago (25) that has built more buildings than Charlotte over 200ft since 2000. They both have 16 to our 15. However they both do not have 4 towers planned like we do :)

Go Charlotte!

Austin, for a city its size, is just absolutely crazy right now. It's like a mini-Dubai.