Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

The thing that is disillusioning to me about voting is the ultra-predictable pattern of backlash that elections in a 2-party system turn into. With the time and money investment of campaigning clearly more important than actually governing, we rarely really see that much significant change by the end of a term, but can be guaranteed that what did change will piss enough people off to force that small pendulum swing back the other way.

• Like 1

The thing that is disillusioning to me about voting is the ultra-predictable pattern of backlash that elections in a 2-party system turn into. With the time and money investment of campaigning clearly more important than actually governing, we rarely really see that much significant change by the end of a term, but can be guaranteed that what did change will piss enough people off to force that small pendulum swing back the other way.

Exactly.  We are 2 years out from a Presidential election and virtually everyone already knows who will run and likely on what platforms.  That is, well, not good.  2 years from now, the republicans will run on "Change" as their platform for the Presidency and the dems will do the same in Congress, both blaming each other for the inevitable gridlock we are about to endure for another 2 years.  It's a damn joke, the whole thing.

• Like 2

This actually probably isn't far from the truth. I mean were Hagan and Tillis really the best options out there? 

Obviously not even close. But that also lies the problem, all it takes is money to run and win in 2014. Not ideals, not talent, not speaking ability, not charisma, not intelligence. All it takes is money and the ability to say yes to the interests of those funding you.

I don't think anyone here is in disagreement over the sad state of politics (and the country really) in the 21st century, and unfortunately, I don't see it changing anytime soon. HOWEVER, as cliche as it is, a bright spot in being progressive is Marijuana winning big time last night and the overall continued support of the LGBT community. They're small bright spots, but hey I will take it.

George Washington warned of the dangers of political parties and he opposed them. It seems this was one more thing he was wise about.

I go back a read the address occasionally and it makes my blood BOIL to read how smart he was and how poorly we have followed his warnings.

Me too, I wasn't sure if it was that people just don't want to support teachers or if they were just unclear on where the funds were going.

My wife had a good response when I asked if she voted for the tax hike:

"The city just gave, what, $80m to the Panthers to upgrade the stupid stadium? I don't have faith in the city spending our money wisely."

That's not verbatim, but you get the gist.  I don't think many people knew what the tax hike was for and secondly, I think there are some bad optics out there about how the city spends its money.

If they are anything like me, they have been completely turned off by politics.  The current state of American politics is disgusting.  I've never felt so compelled not to vote (as a side note, I can't anyways, but I still went with my wife to make sure she did).

Life is tough for convicted felons.

Edited by birky
  • Like 2

"The city just gave, what, $80m to the Panthers to upgrade the stupid stadium? I don't have faith in the city spending our money wisely."

That's not verbatim, but you get the gist.  I don't think many people knew what the tax hike was for and secondly, I think there are some bad optics out there about how the city spends its money.

Life is tough for convicted felons.

You rob THREE banks, and apparently you're some sort of "felon" or something.  Geez.  It was 4 years ago!

I know this is not part of the conversation here, but i really don't know where else to put this.  Anyhow, I saw another commercial a few nights ago that was filmed in Charlotte.  It is a Prudential commercial talking about retirement and it has a row of large to small domino like blocks lined up with different text on them.  I normally record any program I want to watch so I can fast forward thru commercials.  This time I wasn't FF thru the commercials because I simply forgot. I watched the Prudential commercial and something in the background caught my eye.  I rewound and damn if it wasn't the First Union Tower that I believe was the last one built before they started on the now Duke Building. (don't know if Wells is using all of First Union buildings) .  This is the one with the glass fins on top.  I watched the commercial more closely and the Wells/First Union building with the curved top and and other buildings were visible.  This is the second commercial I have seen in the last few weeks that uses Charlotte.  Sorry to get so giddy about such dumb things, but once again, it made me miss my old home.  You guys have probably already seen these commercials, plus the fact that most of you live there and see these buildings all the time.  I guess I should pay more attention to commercials.

^you're not alone. Many of us are the same way. Someone actually posted the link to that commercial a couple months ago. I checked the "filming in Charlotte" thread but couldn't find the post, so it may be earlier in this thread or possibly the "perception of Charlotte nationwide".

^you're not alone. Many of us are the same way. Someone actually posted the link to that commercial a couple months ago. I checked the "filming in Charlotte" thread but couldn't find the post, so it may be earlier in this thread or possibly the "perception of Charlotte nationwide".

Found it!

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/37936-perception-of-charlotte-nationwide/page-68#entry1325205

Our skyline is practically more famous than our name.

"Oh look honey. It's Charleston, West Virgnia"

I think Bad Grandpa was the most annoying.... Using high profile pictures of Charlotte, even in promos, and labeling it Raleigh.... It's one thing if it's a few buildings or at ground level... But several skyline shots.... Just say Charlotte...

Thanks to my wife and her obsession with Young and the Restless soap opera, I now know that the opening shots on the show are Charlotte (modified) standing for "Genoa City". She has called me to the room to see it twice, as confirmation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_City_%28The_Young_and_the_Restless%29

Explain to your wife that it was a Mecklenburg County Referendum not from the City of Charlotte. Anything the county planned to do with the money had nothing to do with any money the city gave the Panthers.

That may be, but it's not an unfair criticism. Public money is public money. You can attach all the strings you want, but it's amazing how money just seems to flow from one side of government to the other side.

It's not about the money but about the decision of what to do with the money. Those decisions were made by two different groups with two different agendas.

So with the recent uptick in Rental prices, it got me thinking about how much affordable it would be to live near the Blue Line if there was a car-sharing program in Charlotte.  When I lived in DC (even in the burbs) many of the apartment complexes, set aside a few spaces for ZipCars for the residents who wanted to live car-free.  While I know we aren't at a tipping point where it's easy to navigate Charlotte without a car,  I think ZipCar or Car2go would be a good transition.  Has anybody heard any rumors about the programs coming to Charlotte?

2 questions spring to mind: where is there empty space uptown Amelie's could be moving to, assuming they're moving somewhere bigger? And what could be going into that space, assuming that the Amelie's/Info Center spaces are being combined into one?

Well. It's an Excellent location. It's near the park, in a higher traffic area, beside Salsaritas and Brevard Court/Latta & Rite Aid. Hopefully it's (good) retail and not converted to Lobby. If its a restaurant... It would have to be very unique like some type of Arcade type bar or something for me to be satisfied.

Hopefully our new retail guy can make something happen.

Why wouldn't Amalie's just take over the Info Center space?  I'm biased being across the street, but it seems like a great location -- very visible, near the park and the ballpark, on Tryon without being tucked under a skyscraper, corner patio.  Maybe high rent is driving out both them and the Info Center?