Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

id be willing to bet Gov. McRory will veto any sales tax or religious freedom Bill that gets in front of him. I'm not sure how NC handles their governors but most in the Country have that power. And nooooo way the senate or house gets the super majority to overpower his veto. I can't imagine either of these moronic issues going through. Man I hope I'm not wrong lol.

Edit: looked it up. Yes he can veto and a super majority is needed to overturn. I highly highly doubt either of these go to law. McRory is very well aware of big business and their influence and know the religious bill is bad for business and has been outspoken against it. He will veto it. He has called the sales tax "class warfare" and has been outspoken against it. He will veto it. I hope.

Edited by Jayvee

The problem with this article is, Gov. Pence COULD have done something about it. Like McCrory he could have vetoed this bill, but he didn't he let it go through because he didn't think about the backlash. Now that it's blown up, he goes, ohhh this is horrible, we need to change it.

The problem with this article is, Gov. Pence COULD have done something about it. Like McCrory he could have vetoed this bill, but he didn't he let it go through because he didn't think about the backlash. Now that it's blown up, he goes, ohhh this is horrible, we need to change it.

You missed the point of the post... The Indy Star is calling out the governor to do something and enact laws that protect sexual orientation and gender identity. We all know he could have done something differently to prevent that law from going into effect.. 

You missed the point of the post... The Indy Star is calling out the governor to do something and enact laws that protect sexual orientation and gender identity. We all know he could have done something differently to prevent that law from going into effect.. 

LOL not gonna lie, I didn't read it all hahahahaha, totally my bad

The odds are very slim that Governor McCrory would sign a discrimination bill into law; he's pretty much closed the door on that already.  The problem is that this bill has already done the state damage.  Rachel Maddow had a segment on her show last night talking about Indiana's law, and she called out NC and AR for introducing similar bills.  Lots of people see and read what is going on here and think twice before doing business here or moving to the state.  IDK, it's just hard to fathom the point of introducing this bill at all.  "Hey look at us!  We're still backward a$$ hicks here in North Cackalacky!"  Our legislators need a proper flogging!  Embarrassing.

It is truly embarrassing, because them introducing it is what will get headlines, not that it was stricken down. So no one will ever know it never went into law here, people will just know we considered it. I can not wait until all these religious GOP nuts in power die over over the next 10 years.

It hasn't gained nearly any traction.  In the spotlight of national news, the only thing out there right now is Indiana.  As long as we don't enact it, no one will ever associate NC with it.

The odds are very slim that Governor McCrory would sign a discrimination bill into law; he's pretty much closed the door on that already. 

Keep in mind that McCrory never said he would veto, he only said that he would not sign the bill. Those are two very different things (not signing it does not prevent it from becoming law)

I just don't understand some people. I mean is this really an issue? (side note this post is about a completely different topic) 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/community/south-charlotte/article16397681.html

I agree.  I was going to post this.  The guy complaining lives within the city limits, but complains that he will lose the rural feeling.  Then don't live in a growing city if that is what you want!  Also, the lights make it safer for everyone (which is what the other residents said).

I just don't understand some people. I mean is this really an issue? (side note this post is about a completely different topic) 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/community/south-charlotte/article16397681.html

As someone who thinks that light pollution is a major issue that we don't do anything about, I have to agree with Mr. Ross. 

I agree that there are some safety issues and LED's are an improvement over the sodium lights, but I wish there was a way to have 'dark hours' or even a 'dark night'. Especially in the winter when people are less apt to be out causing trouble. 

As someone who thinks that light pollution is a major issue that we don't do anything about, I have to agree with Mr. Ross. 

I agree that there are some safety issues and LED's are an improvement over the sodium lights, but I wish there was a way to have 'dark hours' or even a 'dark night'. Especially in the winter when people are less apt to be out causing trouble. 

Light pollution is a valid argument, however LED has the technology to reduce the amount of light. Also if it is well shielded it will help with the pollution. Not to sound like a jerk, but if you want to look up and see the stars, get out of the city.  

Want to talk to Mecklenburg County legislators?

Lawmakers have scheduled a public meeting to hear from constituents on April 24 at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center.

It’s the first time lawmakers will meet as a group in their home county to hear from constituents. The hearing is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m.

To speak, contact the office of Rep. Becky Carney at 919-733-5827.

I submitted to speak. I spoke with rep. Carney's assistant and she said I have a great comment and they're going to get me in. I am going to ask how the city plans to combat any potential negative actions by the state, such as, how do we still lure and keep companies if we let religion define the states priorities. I know they're just gonna feed me political garbage, but I am still interested.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

New bill to gerrymander Wake County's districts for county commissioners has passed.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article17141561.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1

Had they drew this map before the recent election, Wake would have ended up with nine Republican reps, and three Democratic reps. I guess it's a matter of time before they try something like that in Meck. Though, they would likely have to be more creative with gerrymandering Meck, since the county is smaller than Wake, and there is a higher percentage of blue voters.

New bill to gerrymander Wake County's districts for county commissioners has passed.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article17141561.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1

Had they drew this map before the recent election, Wake would have ended up with nine Republican reps, and three Democratic reps. I guess it's a matter of time before they try something like that in Meck. Though, they would likely have to be more creative with gerrymandering Meck, since the county is smaller than Wake, and there is a higher percentage of blue voters.

'

Despite 30,000 more people voting Democrat than Republican... :angry:

:rolleyes:  And yes, yes.... "but Democrats did it for 100 years" ....

Edited by AirNostrumMAD