Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Just curious, who owns the lot surrounded by Trade, Caldwell, Davidson, and 5th street? Are there any plans for this lot?

the Federal Government owns it, for the new Federal Courthouse. So we should see a massive glass, 20 floor, monolith. 

Edited by Guest

If you need a good laugh this morning, read the article Ely posted on the Observer about Ballantyne, back in 1991.  Hilarious.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article23528860.html

Here is my absolute favorite part of the article: (Ballantyne just like 4th Ward, I know we all feel the same way!)

"The total land area is roughly equivalent, Harris said, to the section of southeast Charlotte bordered on the north by Independence Boulevard, on the south by Fairview Road, on the west by Park Road and on the east by Randolph Road. Harris envisions the hub of the property, “Town Center,” as a close-knit community of homes, shops, parks, schools and public services with people living in neighborhoods that duplicate the sense of community in a Fourth Ward or a Dilworth. “If I had a dream . . . there would be a traffic jam every Saturday and Sunday, but it would be bicycles” instead of cars, he said. Harris, president of the Bissell Companies Inc., said the plan has been revised several times over five years."

• Like 2

If you need a good laugh this morning, read the article Ely posted on the Observer about Ballantyne, back in 1991.  Hilarious.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article23528860.html

Here is my absolute favorite part of the article: (Ballantyne just like 4th Ward, I know we all feel the same way!)

"The total land area is roughly equivalent, Harris said, to the section of southeast Charlotte bordered on the north by Independence Boulevard, on the south by Fairview Road, on the west by Park Road and on the east by Randolph Road. Harris envisions the hub of the property, “Town Center,” as a close-knit community of homes, shops, parks, schools and public services with people living in neighborhoods that duplicate the sense of community in a Fourth Ward or a Dilworth. “If I had a dream . . . there would be a traffic jam every Saturday and Sunday, but it would be bicycles” instead of cars, he said. Harris, president of the Bissell Companies Inc., said the plan has been revised several times over five years."

(Head falls forward, hits desk)

• Like 1

So, Franklin Graham is urging his flock to boycott Wells Fargo, because they had an ad that featured a same-sex couple. However, BB&T, the bank he is moving his account to, also sponsored an event for same-sex couples in 2009. Why is this guy so much more toxic than his father?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article23585908.html

Also, don't read the comments. Everyone's favorite CO troll is at it again.

So, Franklin Graham is urging his flock to boycott Wells Fargo, because they had an ad that featured a same-sex couple. However, BB&T, the bank he is moving his account to, also sponsored an event for same-sex couples in 2009. Why is this guy so much more toxic than his father?

He's not just urging his flock, but ALL Christians to do so.

I'm looking forward to him and all of his ilk not using gay businesses or products again. The less bigotry on the Internet, the better! I consider this great news for humanity. no more Facebook posts. No more tweets. No more Internet, really. It's a big win for sanity.

• Like 1

Of all the asinine things one could do, I think this one takes the cake. I thought the ultimate goal of his organization was to win souls not make dumb political statements that alienate a sizable portion of the population. Wasn't it Jesus who said "whoever is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone"? This type of stupidity is one sure-fire way to make sure the people you ostensibly want to reach turn away and run.

In all honesty, if I were BB&T, I would, at a minimum, make a statement regarding the switch. While they can not deny his bank accounts legally, they can certainly say that his views aren't representative of the bank. I would certainly not want my company's views conflated with those of Franklin Graham

Samaritans Purse does a lot of good in the world, but the things that come from Franklin Graham sometimes just make me shudder. Hopefully their next leader just focuses on charitable work and not politics.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

I am going to go way off topic for UP and reach out to you guys. I feel like I know some you since I am constantly reading your posts. I don't post all that often since I don't have a career that gets me access to this kind of insider information, but I have been an avid reader here for around 6 years. Since I read this forum so much, I am known among my friends and family and the guy who knows what every construction project around town is going to be. Thank you all for providing so much insightful information over the years.

I am in need of a kidney donor and haven't had much luck finding a donor. Today, I made the decision to create a reddit thread to help me find someone and I wanted to share it here as well. All of the information about my situation and for getting tested to be a donor is on the link below.

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/39fzos/in_need_of_kidney_donor_for_transplant/

I am going to go way off topic for UP and reach out to you guys. I feel like I know some you since I am constantly reading your posts. I don't post all that often since I don't have a career that gets me access to this kind of insider information, but I have been an avid reader here for around 6 years. Since I read this forum so much, I am known among my friends and family and the guy who knows what every construction project around town is going to be. Thank you all for providing so much insightful information over the years.

I am in need of a kidney donor and haven't had much luck finding a donor. Today, I made the decision to create a reddit thread to help me find someone and I wanted to share it here as well. All of the information about my situation and for getting tested to be a donor is on the link below.

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/39fzos/in_need_of_kidney_donor_for_transplant/

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Good luck in your effort.

After a beer at Triple C and on our way to the Knights game for a couple $8 cans of #cltbeer, we cut over from Tryon to Mint on W Park Ave.  I had no idea this Wilmore neighborhood even existed!  What a bunch of awesome little 1930's homes.  Man, there's so much about my city that I don't even know.

• Like 1

Google's sub-company, named Sidewalk Labs, is moving ahead with blanketing NYC with free Wi-Fi. The company also has plans of converting old phone booths into Wi-Fi "pylon", which would offer free amenities like phone charging, phone calling, internet browsing, and general information. These pylons would project a Wi-Fi signal in a 150 foot radius. The initiative could result in $500 million in ad revenue for the city

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-23/google-startup-aims-to-bring-fast-free-wi-fi-to-cities

How nice would it be if such an initiative came to Charlotte, especially within the I-277 loop? I feel like this is the next step for Google after the Fiber roll out. Though, how many pay phones still exist in Center City Charlotte?

This company also plans to tackle common issues in our cities, like pollution, energy, cost of living, and traffic. It will be interesting to see what comes next from Sidewalk.