Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Guys, I'm so glad the meetup is at Birdsong, I can't wait to have my first Jalapeño Pale Ale, served fresh from their taps. I've had it at Pacos Tacos, thats it. 

I've heard many people say this, and I concur, it actually tastes even better from the can. 

Trade street, especially with streetcar now, looks phenomenal heading from uptown to Elizabeth. Very urban. Such a shame there is zero pedestrian activity. It looks like it could be an excellent walk able area. But other than to jail or getting a bond, doesn't seem like much is there to do

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Yeah, I walked the entire stretch of it a couple weeks ago and aside from right in front of the cable box it is pretty lifeless. Even on Elizabeth until your right outside of Customshop there is nothing going on save for the occasional CPCC student. Sad thing is that for a majority of the stretch there isn't much that can be done to improve this until nearly every building gets reworked to improve street interaction.

Echoed, to my LBGT "friends" on this board, and everywhere.  But this decision isn't just for the LBGT community, it's for all of us, and I couldn't be happier or more proud.

Excellent point. It is for everything. Progress. And now politicians can stop wasting our time with this non issue. Congrats again. Unbelievable day

• Like 2

Excellent point. It is for everything. Progress. And now politicians can stop wasting our time with this non issue. Congrats again. Unbelievable day

Wishful thinking. Republicans are just going to use this as an opportunity. They'll spin it to say "this is why you need to elect a conservative president. We can put conservative judges back in the SC and take this country back from the godless liberal judges"

Man, what I wouldn't give to have something planned like this in Charlotte. New Condo development planned in Buckhead.

150621-2520-peachtree-st-2.jpg

I think that is hideous. But it definitely makes a place weird. Which these days being weird is in style

Lots of RWNJ shenanigans in Raleigh yesterday which may have some indirect impact on Charlotte. The house voted to redistrict the Greensboro city council to increase the power of republicans. While this sort of big government meddling is nothing new (e.g. the airport and the Asheville water system) this decision featured the measure being initially voted down, but the republicans went into a closed door meeting, and they they revoted and approved the measure.

The element of this that may be relevant to us is two Mecklenburg house members, Jeter (from Huntersville)  and Bradford (from Cornelius) were among the 12 republicans who changed their vote after the closed-door meeting. This makes me suspect that some type of new power-grab legislation for Mecklenburg may have promised. 

Hopefully I am just paranoid, these guys really give me the heebegeebees.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article26424838.html

Edited by kermit

I think we just need to change our legislature from the General Assembly to the Republican Politburo!! Sounds like a decision emanating from Moscow from the 1980's!!

Lots of RWNJ shenanigans in Raleigh yesterday which may have some impact on Charlotte. The house voted to redistrict the Greensboro city council (to increase the power of republicans on the council). While this sort of big government meddling is nothing new (e.g. the airport and the Asheville water system) this decision featured the measure being initially voted down, but the republicans went into a closed door meeting, and they they revoted and approved the measure.

The element of this that may be relevant to us is two Mecklenburg house members (Jeter (Huntersville)  and Bradford (Cornelius)) were among the 12 republicans who changed their vote after the closed-door meeting. This makes me suspect that some type of new power-grab legislation for Mecklenburg may have promised. 

Hopefully I am just paranoid, these guys really give me the heebegeebees.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article26424838.html

I really love my city and state to death, but man... If there was one thing that would make me move away, it's the GOP held General Assembly. They've even rigged the system to help them benefit staying in office longer, through gerrymandering. I really hope there can be some change next year, with at least the Dems taking the gubernatorial office, and gaining enough seats so the GOP doesn't have a veto-proof majority.

The most unfortunate accident of Carolina geography is that Mecklenburg isn't part of South Carolina.

GOP shenanigans and the utter lack of focus on things that matter is the reason that other states (most notably SC) can poach NC companies at will. I went to a meeting a few months ago where the Governor of Virginia was the speaker and he was gloating about how easy it had been for him to poach a company from North Carolina. Although he was not explicit about why it was so easy to win the company, I have no doubt it was at least partially because of the heavy hand of GOP-controlled NCGA.

Less than 150 people have put the entire state on a bullet train to the Stone Age.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

The most unfortunate accident of Carolina geography is that Mecklenburg isn't part of South Carolina.

GOP shenanigans and the utter lack of focus on things that matter is the reason that other states (most notably SC) can poach NC companies at will. I went to a meeting a few months ago where the Governor of Virginia was the speaker and he was gloating about how easy it had been for him to poach a company from North Carolina. Although he was not explicit about why it was so easy to win the company, I have no doubt it was at least partially because of the heavy hand of GOP-controlled NCGA.

Less than 150 people have put the entire state on a bullet train to the Stone Age.

Historians will view the Republican takeover of North Carolina as an unmitigated disaster.

I was over the Democrats. But they were just small-time crooks.

The Republicans are an ideological whirlwind of destruction.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods

Historians will view the Republican takeover of North Carolina as an unmitigated disaster.

I was over the Democrats. But they were just small-time crooks.

The Republicans are an ideological whirlwind of destruction.

I am like you; back then, I thought the "down-east democrats" were the scourge of NC. 

I was initially hopeful when the Republicans took over in 2010, considering that a substantial portion of the leadership came from greater Charlotte, that the shift in power would be good for the area.  Instead what we got was a group of tyrants hell-bent on hijacking the political process to consolidate all power in their hands and willing to rig elections to ensure they kept said power.  The group of GOPers currently occupying the NCGA represents the antithesis of the "small government" mantra  on which the Republican party prides itself.   

I am convinced that if our esteemed general assembly were in a position to govern on a national scale, that they would ransack the constitution and force the entire country ever so close to a hybrid theocratic/totalitarian governing structure.  Someone referred to the NCGA as the NC Politburo, and I think that is fair.  If Vladimir Putin had a parliament behind him like the NCGA, the Soviet Union would be back before you knew it.

*** "An ideological whirlwind of destruction"...I'll have to use that one. ***

Edited by cltbwimob