Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Nice. It's actually a reference to a favorite, generally considered "eighties", musician's song of mine.  I'll leave it at that to lend a little mystery to myself.  HeHe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't consider Prince to be an 80s musician, though I guess his popularity peaked then.

I wouldn't consider Prince to be an 80s musician, though I guess his popularity peaked then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly agree with the first part of your statement, I think he's timeless. Way to pick up on the somewhat obscure reference btw. I'm impressed. I'm already in line for his next concert in Charlotte at our brand-new state-of-the art arena. Can't wait.

I know that North Carolina is one of the top 5 states for transplants from around the country that relocate here. Do you think we could become more vibrant if we had more ethnic-specific developments/communities that catered to this population i.e. a "little Brooklyn", etc. I know that there are a lot of New York transplants that come here due to health/weather/family concerns. In other words, could we become more of a tourist destination if we had areas of the city that catered to these segments of the population? 1) how do we compare to other cities in relation to this topic and 2) do you think it's an important issue to consider in "taking us to the next level."

From City-Data.com

Races in Charlotte:

White Non-Hispanic (55.1%)

Black (32.7%)

Hispanic (7.4%)

Other race (3.6%)

Two or more races (1.7%)

Asian Indian (0.9%)

Vietnamese (0.8%)

American Indian (0.7%)

Other Asian (0.7%)

These were based on year 2000 populations of 540,828. Since I've never heard of a Vietnam Town (the apparent leading Southeast Asian percentage group), I'll assume that "Other Asian" would include Chinese immigrants at 0.7%. That works out to 3,785 people.

Compare that to NYC with 8,008,278 people in 2000 with 4.5% Chinese for a total of 360,372. That is why they're able to have a thriving China Town. Even though our population pales in comparison to NYC, the percentages are hugely different.

Even comparing a city closer to our size like San Francisco with a population of 776,733 we still don't come close percentage wise. They have a massive 19.6% Chinese population.

I guess what I'm trying to get at if you haven't figured it out yet is that I don't believe that we have enough people of any particular race to make a "race specific town" within Charlotte.

Edited by Raintree21

Why are the 2 hot button issues I always seem to hear during the political season in regards to the city council are police and roads? Are we too brainwashed by the local media to think that we need a cop on every corner. I mean don't get me wrong I believe in public safety, but I feel pretty safe with what we have in place right now. The issues that our police force face aren't any different from any other city in the U.S. and it's not like a limitless checkbook is going to fix all our ills. Also, what is our fascination with potholes? Somehow this is what political debaters seem to focus on when they want to criticize each other. Where are all these potholes they keep talking about? I don't mean to sound facetious, but just drive around them! If you pay attention when you're driving it wouldn't be that hard. There are more other important issues that they need to address that I am concerned about. Why if you are a proponent of economic development in and around the center city you have to be a snob and not concerned with "police and roads"? I am able to see the synergism between a healthy, vibrant economic community and the taxes this model in turn generates to help pay for these police and roads.

the city has quite a few budgetary firewalls.... the Airport, the Utilities/Water, CATS, all have their own funding and management structure. They also have many other taxes that are earmarked or restricted in their own ways, such as the future taxes for the Arts Plan and the future tax for the NHOF. A major example is the Hotel-Motel tax which can only be used for tourism-related projects (the council chose to spend most of that revenue on the arena and the convention center). these are hot buttons/debates when they are first proposed, like the arts plan, or when they have extra revenue that must be allocated, like the arena.

The rest of the budget, the general fund, is a relatively small part of the overall city budget, but that is the budget that goes to employees, fire, police, roads, etc. the primary role for that money are police and roads. Those two are considered the highest priority for city government, so the funding levels for those two line items end up being a faily large debate, especially in the context of a relatively small budget. People get especially upset when things like the arena or the arts plan have the appearance of hurting police funding, but really they are coming out of two independent budgets...

I'll be driving through Charlotte next week, on my way back to Florida, from Detroit. Since I'll be touring one Queen City (Cincinnati) on my way up to Detroit, I figure I'll hit the other one, as well. I'm planning to stop for a couple of hours and see some of the city's urban areas and older neighborhoods, outside of the Uptown loop.

What areas would you all recommend? What local restuarants would you all suggest I try out for lunch? Thanks.

I'll be driving through Charlotte next week, on my way back to Florida, from Detroit.  Since I'll be touring one Queen City (Cincinnati) on my way up to Detroit, I figure I'll hit the other one, as well.  I'm planning to stop for a couple of hours and see some of the city's urban areas and older neighborhoods, outside of the Uptown loop.

What areas would you all recommend?  What local restuarants would you all suggest I try out for lunch?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you make it to Plaza Midwood, you should try either Dish or The Penguin. They are across the street from one another on Thomas Avenue. Dish is southern comfort food with a slightly modern twist and The Penguin is a former 50s drive-in that specializes in burgers and fried pickles.

Try the Meatloaf too. I love the cajun style. :wub: It is Yummy. Don't be fearful of the wild looking staff, it is probably one of the most urban places in CLT (Central Avenue). Most all of the staff at the Penguin and the Dish have tatoos or some wild hair. I love it though. It is a diverse place and most importantly the food ROCKS !!!

A2

Try the Meatloaf too. I love the cajun style.  :wub: It is Yummy.  Don't be fearful of the wild looking staff, it is probably one of the most urban places in CLT (Central Avenue). Most all of the staff at the Penguin and the Dish have tatoos or some wild hair. I love it though. It is a diverse place and most importantly the food ROCKS !!!

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the staff at Dish are actually friendly, as opposed to the staff at The Penguin. <_<

This is VERY true FM. I sometimes feel a bit more uncomfortable at the Penguin versus the Dish, but I let the food do most of the work in excusing the stand-offish attitude that sometime comes from the guy that looks like he might have had one tatoo to many. :P

A2

BTW, the fried pickles and Hamburger are the best pics at the Penguin.

:D

I'll be driving through Charlotte next week, on my way back to Florida, from Detroit.  Since I'll be touring one Queen City (Cincinnati) on my way up to Detroit, I figure I'll hit the other one, as well.  I'm planning to stop for a couple of hours and see some of the city's urban areas and older neighborhoods, outside of the Uptown loop.

What areas would you all recommend?  What local restuarants would you all suggest I try out for lunch?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you may want to check out this old thread, where people gave ideas for a "development tour" around downtown and surrounding neighborhoods..

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9363