Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Getting in and out of there on the weekends can be a little slow and frustrating, but it isn't horrible. If the show starts around 7:30/8:00 then getting in won't be too bad at all since the club and bar crowds don't start stumbling around until around 10:30 to midnight. Now leaving will be another story due to the crowds mentioned above but you shouldn't have a problem getting out of the area in 20 to 30 minutes. Good thing about catching a show there is that there are plenty of entertainment options that hold some people there for a while. Because of this you don't have the entire capacity of the fillmore trying to leave all at the same time.

I typically come in the back by way of Atando, Statesville, Oaklawn, Burton, then Hamilton. Or by Trade, Beatties Ford, Oaklawn, Burton, then Hamilton. This pays off when leaving as well since most people are leaving by way of Seaboard/NC Music Factory Blvd, Graham, then 277. Right now parking is not a big deal, but can't be so sure when all these offices and apartments are built. But who needs to leave early when you have VGBG to burn away the excess time?

:alc:

Edited by 11 HouseBZ

The city's winning strategy will be doubling down on investments in the inner-core, historic neighborhoods, and more walk-able areas scattered around the city. I know that with the right investments and attention given, NODA, Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth, and the others will prosper. Yes, that includes gentrification. Though, a huge reason why gentrification will be so obvious and quick is because of the incredible lack of quality urban spaces that the city could of built.

Area's like the whole southwest corner of the county (south of Dixie-Berry Hill), and in general Charlotte's suburbia, will have a very difficult time adapting to changes. They were never built to adapt.

I can't wait to join in and help build upon those districts.

Way off topic:

I pan to attend a show at the Music Factory Saturday for my fist time there. The outside shed. What are the best parking, arrival, departure suggestions? How much time to allot for arrival and parking and then departure?

My story: Saturday evening from the Graham St. exit on I-277 was bumper to bumper, one lane the whole way to the venue. One lane Graham exit, Then 75 yards on Graham to the one turn lane to Music Factory then one lane on Seaboard Street to parking area, bumper creep the whole way. About 30 minutes for that part of the approach. Parked in the further reaches of the lot and there were innumerable cars coming behind me. Lord knows where they would go. 60 seconds after leaving the car the skies opened and it rained for nearly an hour. The entry to Amphitheater had one entrance with three tables and they check bags and cases and umbrellas must be checked so slo-o-o-o-ow. Hundreds of us stood in line more than a block long, nearly to the bridge on Hamilton, in the rain. Once inside the place was a sloppy mess. At about 8:30 (showtime 8) a man at microphone said delay due to risk of high wind and lightning. Of course we, the audience, were the last to be told of this. If there were an emergency weather event, where would we go? All 2000+ of us? It is clear they have no emergency plan for this situation. Lie on your stomach in the mud? Run to your car? After 20 minutes I surrendered to better sense and left. Never again. Incompetent planning and design, no emergency plan and the ticket says 8 p.m. rain or shine but must mean "8 p.m. if weather decent, otherwise indefinite delay". Never again for me.

As a comparison Woodstock opened this week 1969.

Re: Woodstock, there were strong comparisons at Pride. Several impromptu dance parties in the rain on Tryon Street, especially right in front of the VIP area where there was a house DJ making it happen - probably sixty people filled the intersection of 4th/Tryon dancing. And Estelle, the headliner, went on as scheduled and performed holding an umbrella out at the end of the main stage catwalk (https://instagram.com/p/6bRAZ9tZVX/) 

tl/dr you went to the wrong place ;)

Anybody want this "historic" poster of Uptown before I throw it out?  Hearst and Arlington are on there, but Trademark and Avenue are not.  The buildings have little callouts with dates and tidbits.  Poster size is about 24x29 on fairly heavy stock.  Photo by Chris Edwards.  Must have been some Center City promotion or something -- I have no idea where I got it.  It's in fairly good shape but not perfect by any means.  I can deliver/meet uptown.  PM if interested so we don't clog this thread with the 100s of replies I'll get.

20150817_084428_zpsv1zv8yk5.jpg

I don't want to get into the politics or rationale of the hung jury in the Kerrick case, but I'm more so intrigued with the subdued reaction both from local supporters on both sides and the national media as a whole.  Given the recent high profile cases and their coverage, I expected the Kerrick outcome to turn into a circus.  However, watching the news this morning (national) it seems the mistrial and case as a whole was a bit of an afterthought.  Additionally, while there were some minor protests and disturbances yesterday evening, really compared to what we've seen in Ferguson and Baltimore, the Charlotte reaction was about as milk-toast as its architecture.  Does CMPD have a stronger connection with its community than most other cities?  Is Charlotte a more united community than the aforementioned locations?  Or is it simply a matter of apathy by the people of Charlotte?  What gives?

I don't want to get into the politics or rationale of the hung jury in the Kerrick case, but I'm more so intrigued with the subdued reaction both from local supporters on both sides and the national media as a whole.  Given the recent high profile cases and their coverage, I expected the Kerrick outcome to turn into a circus.  However, watching the news this morning (national) it seems the mistrial and case as a whole was a bit of an afterthought.  Additionally, while there were some minor protests and disturbances yesterday evening, really compared to what we've seen in Ferguson and Baltimore, the Charlotte reaction was about as milk-toast as its architecture.  Does CMPD have a stronger connection with its community than most other cities?  Is Charlotte a more united community than the aforementioned locations?  Or is it simply a matter of apathy by the people of Charlotte?  What gives?

There was no verdict. So nothing yet to get really steamed about.

Our milquetoast can scald when angry! So beware!

Eh...not really. Over the years, Charlotte has been fortunate enough to avoid damaging riots such as in Newark, Baltimore, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc. One hopes and prays it will always be so. Part of this is because Charlotte has had a long history of racial reconciliation dating back to the early 1960s. Partly it's because we have a substantial African American middle class. Partly it's because we have African American political leadership. Part of it is our where-do-y'all-go-to-church culture. Partly it's our milquetoastiness...bless your heart, it's impolite to burn and break things, young man!

It might have helped getting to a unanimous guilty verdict if the charge had been involuntary manslaughter. I thought it was easy enough to make a case that Kerrick was reckless. Intent to kill, which must be proved under voluntary manslaughter is much harder to prove based on these facts.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods

I happened to be at the CTC/Epicenter lightrail station when I saw a group of about 50-80 cops in riot gear marching down Trade underneath (presuming from the ballpark to the courthouse area, the two main groups of protesters), along with tons of cars and golf cart type things with more cops in them. I think we've had something of a history of over-preparation for unrest since the DNC. 

I happened to be at the CTC/Epicenter lightrail station when I saw a group of about 50-80 cops in riot gear marching down Trade underneath (presuming from the ballpark to the courthouse area, the two main groups of protesters), along with tons of cars and golf cart type things with more cops in them. I think we've had something of a history of over-preparation for unrest since the DNC. 

Agreed. I was at the ballpark and watched as the protestors came and went several times, the protestors were always outnumbered by CMPD. I did get the sense from observing that CMPD is _really_ good at subtlety dispersing protestors before they can create any kind of mass (almost certainly a product of skills and strategies developed for the DNC). I was impressed with CMPD from an operational perspective, but felt it was morally unfortunate. People should be allowed to gather and protest rather than being unknowingly herded like sheep. 

I was also a bit miffed by the decision of the Knights and CMPD to not let fans leave the ballpark at the end of the game, this was a total overreaction. The restriction didn't last long, but they only opened the gates where the protestors weren't. Perhaps the abundance of caution was warranted, but I really resented the bunker mentality the knights and CMPD created with this decision. 

• Like 1

^ gezzz, that was an awfully expensive expression of childishness on the part of the 'fans.'

Yea, I can see how drunk baseball fans might not be the best folks to mix with a small group of protestors and I can understand that decision. However, the practice of walling off peaceful protest from the remainder of society really irks me, its not so different from the "free speech zones" from the DNC. 

• Like 1

Given what's happened in the last year across the country, I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared... I saw some pics on twitter last night where protesters were intimidating people that were driving through uptown. That's not exactly a constructive way to get your message across. Then again neither is drunks throwing stuff at protesters either. 

• Like 2

NBC's The Carmichael Show premiered tonight and it takes place in Charlotte. It's pretty horrible, and I can't imagine that it will make it past 5 episodes, but I do think it's a bit funny that a show filmed in LA is set in Charlotte, considering any other show or movie filmed in Charlotte is set someplace else. The humor seems very early-nineties to me. It won't last, but hey, Charlotte is in the national spotlight for a little while with this series! LOL! 

The funny thing is that an episode tonight was about the shooting of a black man by a white cop which resulted in looting and protesting in West Charlotte. Though nothing about racial crimes, police overstepping their bounds, looting, riots, etc. in real life is funny, I just find it a strange coincidence that this coincides with the Kerrick mistrial, which received very peaceful protests and little attention nationally. It kind of paints the city in a different light on a sitcom than what actually just happened in real life. Other than mentions of Charlotte, there was nothing "Charlotte" about it. I was answering email in a hotel room while it happened to be on the TV, so maybe I missed something, but all I saw was the inside of a house that could be anywhere in the U.S. It would take some serious concentration to be locked on this sitcom for 30 minutes.

NBC's The Carmichael Show premiered tonight and it takes place in Charlotte. It's pretty horrible, and I can't imagine that it will make it past 5 episodes, but I do think it's a bit funny that a show filmed in LA is set in Charlotte, considering any other show or movie filmed in Charlotte is set someplace else. The humor seems very early-nineties to me. It won't last, but hey, Charlotte is in the national spotlight for a little while with this series! LOL! 

The funny thing is that an episode tonight was about the shooting of a black man by a white cop which resulted in looting and protesting in West Charlotte. Though nothing about racial crimes, police overstepping their bounds, looting, riots, etc. in real life is funny, I just find it a strange coincidence that this coincides with the Kerrick mistrial, which received very peaceful protests and little attention nationally. It kind of paints the city in a different light on a sitcom than what actually just happened in real life. Other than mentions of Charlotte, there was nothing "Charlotte" about it. I was answering email in a hotel room while it happened to be on the TV, so maybe I missed something, but all I saw was the inside of a house that could be anywhere in the U.S. It would take some serious concentration to be locked on this sitcom for 30 minutes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw this.  I think the last show that "took place" in Charlotte was that show "My Brother and Me" on Nickelodeon from the mid 90's.  But yeah I agree, the Carmichael Show was not very well acted.  I doubt it will survive, but who knows.  All the shows I think are good usually get cancelled and vice versa.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw this.  I think the last show that "took place" in Charlotte was that show "My Brother and Me" on Nickelodeon from the mid 90's.  But yeah I agree, the Carmichael Show was not very well acted.  I doubt it will survive, but who knows.  All the shows I think are good usually get cancelled and vice versa.

ABC had a show last season that took place in Charlotte. Secrets and Lies I think was/is it's name.

Edited by jednc