Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I always read these articles to see how other people spend their money. Sometimes you get good tips on what to do (and not do). However, this one really irked me. How much of a douche do you have to be to make this kind of money and still skip out on paying for a light rail ticket? We know people do it, so this isn't news. But when people complain about CATS raising their prices on buses or light rail tickets, I want to beotch slap people like this...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/79307/cash-confessional-240000-salary

7 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I always read these articles to see how other people spend their money. Sometimes you get good tips on what to do (and not do). However, this one really irked me. How much of a douche do you have to be to make this kind of money and still skip out on paying for a light rail ticket? We know people do it, so this isn't news. But when people complain about CATS raising their prices on buses or light rail tickets, I want to beotch slap people like this...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/79307/cash-confessional-240000-salary

Who the fudge is 26 and has 4 investment properties. I think it should be changed to how to live on 240,000 after you got through college debt free and with a TON OF HELP from your parents. No way they did all that on 240k combined salary before 30. I was doing the math all day yesterday.

Edited by Guest

I can't read those articles anymore because it is either highly frustrating that people under 40 can make as much as many of these people, or I relate too much with how broke someone is and can't deal. And what's worse, in the latter case those authors get blasted in the Facebook comments by people accusing them of being "irresponsible with their money" because they still want to drink alcohol or see a movie on a tight budget. You can't win.

Speaking of the Agenda, has anyone else noticed it slipping lately? It feels like fewer articles as well as shorter. Lots of bylines from Katie and Andrew and many fewer freelance pieces. Maybe its just my imagination, maybe I just miss the regular Jayvee scoops on development.

I also miss the beer writer, he was great. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kermit said:

Speaking of the Agenda, has anyone else noticed it slipping lately? It feels like fewer articles as well as shorter. Lots of bylines from Katie and Andrew and many fewer freelance pieces. Maybe its just my imagination, maybe I just miss the regular Jayvee scoops on development.

I stopped reading after they tried to champion some sort of mob attack against Hot Taco.  You can only write so many articles about Kid Cashew and Babalu.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, kermit said:

They have two spot on SouthEnd articles today. Though they are definitely by Katie and Andrew.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am hearing from multiple city employees that the new city manager is not impressing anyone with his competence. This is a big problem on many levels, not the least of which is the NCGA's habit of trying to take things from the city.

Time to switch to strong form of mayor? 

3 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Time to switch to strong form of mayor? 

God no...not with Jennifer Roberts as mayor.  She speaks precisely when it's the wrong time-often saying precisely the wrong thing-and she picks fights she can't possibly win.  She has the political IQ of a brick, and I'd hate to think what kind of mess Charlotte would be in if she had any more power than she currently has.

Now if it were Dan Clodfelter on the other hand, I'd probably be much more in favor of a strong mayor.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

God no...not with Jennifer Roberts as mayor.  She speaks precisely when it's the wrong time-often saying precisely the wrong thing-and she picks fights she can't possibly win.  She has the political IQ of a brick, and I'd hate to think what kind of mess Charlotte would be in if she had any more power than she currently has.

Now if it were Dan Clodfelter on the other hand, I'd probably be much more in favor of a strong mayor.

Agreed... now the question is are you a Vi Lyles or a Joel Ford camper?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

For what it is worth I attended a private Hillary Clinton event here on Sherwood Avenue last year during the campaign. There were maybe 60 or so people in the secure tent for her remarks. This came after she spoke to the mega donors and bundlers in the home itself. Please do not judge. I expected numerous Democratic office holders to be there. There was Joel Ford, plus someone who lives in Raleigh who had traveled for the event. Jennifer Roberts accompanied Clinton for the day and introduced her, thus was there. Make of that what you will.

Wasn't sure where to post this question so playing it safe by putting in Off Topic...

Does anyone know why a group would file for rezoning for property they don't own?

Looking specifically at the Hopper Communities rezoning petition in 2016 for 85 townhouses in Seversville. On Duckworth and Wesley Heights Way. Land is owned by a church.

Would there be a potential sale pending zoning outcome? 

Just checking out how many open jobs Bank of America has in Charlotte 454 as of today but they are looking for Ethical Hacker if you know any! 

http://careers.bankofamerica.com/search-jobs.aspx?c=united-states&r=us  Just thought it was interesting

Job Description:

Candidate will be a member of a world-class ethical hacking team and will be responsible for performing automated ethical hack assessments against high risk applications to identify application security risks.  Candidate must be able to meet the demands of a fast paced, high stress work environment.

As an experienced professional, provide advice to client management with regard to moderately complex security issues. Assists in the review, development, testing and implementation of security plans, products and control techniques. Coordinates the reporting data security incidents. Provides technical support to the client and management and staff in risk assessments and implementation of appropriate data security procedures and products. Monitors existing and proposed security standard setting groups. State and Federal legislation and regulations. Identifies and escalates changes that will affect information security policy, standards and procedures. Executes security controls to prevent hackers from infiltrating company information or jeopardizing e-commerce programs. Researches attempted efforts to compromise security protocols. Administers security policies to control access to systems and maintains the company firewall. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criterion for obtaining results. Work leadership may be provided by assigning work and resolving problems. Typically 5-7 years of IT experience.

- See more at: http://careers.bankofamerica.com/job-detail/17002935/united-states/us/ethical-hacker#sthash.nLUBRr6J.dpuf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's April 1st and so far we've had a 1000+ ft tower announced and a major production brewery code named project Adolphus Busch (co-founder of Anheiser Busch) complete with a horse pasture (probably because the Clydesdales are in need of a new home) and designed by Vandelay Architects.  HB2's repeal has had quite an effect already.  

What's next? Ally moving their HQ here? Wells Fargo?  Will an MLB expansion team for Charlotte be announced today?  How about the dredging of the Catawba River for commercial shipping traffic?  The possibilities seem so endless right now.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about starting a thread about urban development elsewhere and good/bad points in comparison to our own. I.e. considering a Charlotte amenity or project in comparison to something similar in a European or Asian city, etc. Would anyone be interested in that?

• Like 4