COMPLETE: RISD 15West

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt really sure where the right place to put this was but anyone know whats going on with the demolition of the old Traveler's Aid building on Westminster and when construction begins on the new garage/retail building for that site?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope this answers your question:

www.artinruins.com/arch/rip/travellersaid/

• 2 weeks later...

15West is on schedule to accept new students in September. The library project has been awarded to Shawmut Design & Construction. The school is working with the city on traffic calming measures for Memorial Blvd., apparently some money has been found for it.

There is still nothing slated to go in the 12th floor. At the early stages of acquisition RISD entertained the idea of Emeril Lagasse opening a restaurant up there, but nothing ever came of it. :(

My girlfriend is a student at RISD and will be living on the 10th floor facing the capital. I'm thinking about setting up a web cam in her window so we can see the progress of the Westin, Waterplace, and GTech buildings. I'll be sure to show you pictures this fall if none are posted before.

My girlfriend is a student at RISD and will be living on the 10th floor facing the capital. I'm thinking about setting up a web cam in her window so we can see the progress of the Westin, Waterplace, and GTech buildings. I'll be sure to show you pictures this fall if none are posted before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been up there, she's a lucky girl! Grad students can bring their significant others to live in the loft apartments, you could live there!

A webcam would be really cool!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Helped my girlfriend move in over the weekend. The place is great with amazing (10th floor) views with 3 large windows exhibiting the Capitol, GTech, Masonic Temple, Waterplace condos site, Westin II, and many more. I'll be sure to post some good pics soon. Great sunsets too!

The craftsmanship seems a little rushed, as should be expected with such a short construction period, but is really only obvious around the windows- sloppy caulking/paint job.

While some units have better views than others, overall I think anyone should be psyched to call 15 West home.

is 15 west lit at night every night?? or is this temporary?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was for WaterFire, RISD has no lighting plan for 15West yet. However, people live there now, so the apartments are lit from within into the wee hours.

My girlfriend likes it very much. It's quiet up that high and the view is hard to beat. Tried Portfolio cafe last night for dinner and I'll agree that the food is good but it's gonna take some time for them to figure out how to operate adequately. It took more than 25 minutes last night for them to serve four of the same dish. The vents over the grill didn't seem to work too well either- smoke filled the whole cafe because the hoods weren't working. It was amazing to see that the fire alarms didn't go off.

RISD did a beautiful job on the building. I particularly like the windows - multipaned and set nice and deep into the openings. That helps give the facade more animation with the contrast between the protrusion of the walls and the recession of the windows.

Now, if only some other historic buildings downtown such as the Turk's Head could get such windows instead of those awful plate glass tinted ones.

Archived