COMPLETE: RISD 15West

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey kinematix, perhaps you can do a public service. Seeing how your girlfriend now resides at 15 West perhaps you can spread the word to RISD students to PLEASE use caution when crossing So Main St. I can't believe the way these kids cross the street against traffic, without regard.

Supposedly the city has some funds for pedestrian improvements at Memorial and Westminster. In the interim, the striping was recently repainted, so at least one can see where they are supposed to be crossing (of course half the walk lights don't work properly...).

Supposedly the city has some funds for pedestrian improvements at Memorial and Westminster. In the interim, the striping was recently repainted, so at least one can see where they are supposed to be crossing (of course half the walk lights don't work properly...).

I just drove through there and was thankful that Canal, Memorial and Steeple streets were striped.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like their still working on the Fulton St side of 15 West. What still needs to be done?

Work on the library will continue through the spring. The Fulton Street side is the staging area for Shawmut which is doing the work. The Memorial side of the first floor and all of the second will be the library.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got a bit of a sneek peek at the RISD Library last week. It's stunning. The old bank lobby translates very well to a library. The first floor is double high, the ceilings and lighting have been renovated. There is an arcade halfway up the first floor with books all around the main space. An interesting stepped area in the center allows for casual relaxing and study space, and doubles as an area for people to sit during a lecture. The check out desk is all flash and modern which is an interesting juxtaposition to the historic renovation around it. I didn't get up to the second floor, but I did poke around the basement a bit, which is a really interesting area. There's an area where their are windows in the floor and you can see the river below, very weird.

The Library opens to the RISD community on July 17th. Plans for opening it to the public are still ongoing.

I got a bit of a sneek peek at the RISD Library last week. It's stunning. The old bank lobby translates very well to a library. The first floor is double high, the ceilings and lighting have been renovated. There is an arcade halfway up the first floor with books all around the main space. An interesting stepped area in the center allows for casual relaxing and study space, and doubles as an area for people to sit during a lecture. The check out desk is all flash and modern which is an interesting juxtaposition to the historic renovation around it. I didn't get up to the second floor, but I did poke around the basement a bit, which is a really interesting area. There's an area where their are windows in the floor and you can see the river below, very weird.

The Library opens to the RISD community on July 17th. Plans for opening it to the public are still ongoing.

Hey Cotuit,

So... you liked the "interventions," as the architect called them? I've only seen pictures from the construction phase, but I'd thought the brown color of the study carols around the island in the middle were hideous, and the "planking" above the circulation island made me think of a "garden party." I was pretty unhappy with the way it was looking to turn out.

Do you or anybody have pics of the interior now? I don't live nearby, and I'd love to see what it looks like now that it is opened. I am hopeful, as you described it as "stunning"...

Hey Cotuit,

So... you liked the "interventions," as the architect called them? I've only seen pictures from the construction phase, but I'd thought the brown color of the study carols around the island in the middle were hideous, and the "planking" above the circulation island made me think of a "garden party." I was pretty unhappy with the way it was looking to turn out.

Do you or anybody have pics of the interior now? I don't live nearby, and I'd love to see what it looks like now that it is opened. I am hopeful, as you described it as "stunning"...

It was still being set up when I was there, and equipment was all over, but it wowed me still. I didn't bring my camera but will try to get some photos later.

• 2 weeks later...

and internet connections in the walls.

Yeah, this bit suprised me. I'm out of my element here, but I would've thought the school would be moving toward a wireless network, especially given the opportunity of the new building.

The space is pretty impressive, though.

Yeah, this bit suprised me. I'm out of my element here, but I would've thought the school would be moving toward a wireless network, especially given the opportunity of the new building.

The school is moving towards a wireless system. The spread out nature of the school, being in multiple buildings across the city is proving to make a wireless environment expensive. I'm not sure if there is wireless in 15West. I'm sure in that building the thick walls become an issue, forcing the need for many transmitters. The network connections in the library terminals may just be for convenience sake, since there's a plug there, there might as well be a network connection. There are other informal areas throughout the space, so there may be wireless in those areas. I know the old library had wireless.

Archived