Boston's South Bay Planning Initiative

All,

This will be my first post to urbanplanet forum. I love the previous threads that have been posted here; I've read some great discussions. I am a resident of Cambridge Massachusetts, and am an amateur enthusiast of architecture and urban planning, like many of you. Being from the Boston area, development projects and planning issues are always a hot topic in the local papers. Its very, very difficult to get meaningful projects completed in this city. I've seen many brilliant ideas sparkle and then fade into oblivion. It seems that there is a general abhorrence for change, risk, and large scale development. This of course is most likely due to the legendary blunders made during the urban renewal movements of the 60's and 70's (City Hall Plaza for example). As a result of past mistakes, the arduous approval process we have in Boston has a direct purpose: to allow for the community to get better involved in development issues. After all, it is the residents of the neighborhood that are most directly affected by large scale development.

In the spirit of this debate, I'd like to present the South Bay Planning Initiative. Briefly, this planning project outlines the eventual buildout of a parcel of land that currently consists of ramp ways, open space, and air rights over the Massachusetts Turnpike. The parcel of land in the study is adjacent to the Fort Point Channel to the south (an ocean side inlet), Chinatown to the north, and the Leather District to the east. (I wish I could post images of the plans, they are spectacular, but I haven

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived