Deep Deuce

DHall

Under the Land Run Commission, many neighborhoods have been restored in OKC in the last 5 years. This is Deep Deuce.

http://maps.newsok.com/features/maps/maps_deepdeuce.html

Many city leaders say residential development is the next hot ticket in the downtown area.

It's already a reality in Deep Deuce. Once the center of jazz and of black business in Oklahoma City, the area is returning to vibrancy thanks to private development -- a 294-unit apartment complex that is 98 percent full, and many more planned, both low and high rises.

Craig Brown, owner of the newly opened Deep Deuce Grill, said he is excited by what the area is becoming.

"I've always believed this to be a great area," Brown said.

Deep Deuce, named for its location on a rolling hill along NE 2, was the leading black business district and neighborhood in the 1940s and '50s. Restaurants, a theater and jazz halls were among the thriving businesses.

Brown's Deep Deuce Grill is in one of those formerly empty historic buildings coming back to life after the area was ravaged by urban sprawl and construction of the Centennial Expressway.

"I started this dream of downtown living here in about 1989," Brown said. "Because of MAPS, I'm sure I was lucky enough to have it come through."

Rand Elliott, whose architectural firm is in the nearby Flatiron district, is among those who praise restaurants such as the Deep Deuce Grill for opening amid downtown residential development.

"It's got a very urban feel," Elliott said.

City leaders agree downtown residents will need other supporting businesses such as grocery stores and gas stations.

The customer base is on its way. In addition to the existing apartments, Urban Renewal Director JoeVan Bullard said the Deep Deuce hill immediately east of apartments is the next hot spot for housing.

However, Urban Renewal is making sure developer Mike Henderson's $26 million complex east of downtown's Sycamore Square at Robert S. Kerr and Walker Avenue is completed first, Bullard said.

With residents in the area, Brown said the next step is to return Deep Deuce to its roots. He would like to see jazz musicians and artists on the sidewalks.

Deep Deuce was where the Count Bassie Orchestra and Charlie Christian had their start, right in the Prairie City.

Sycamore Square, Legacy Summit, and Deep deuce at bricktown are the 3 biggest current housing developments.

Pics are coming.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

deepdeuce4.bmp

deepdeuce3.bmp

deepdeuce1.bmp

The street in that last pic is North Broadway, sorta by the headquarters of the Bank of Nichols Hills, for those who know Oklahoma City well.

deepdeuce2.bmp

This is a pic I rediscovered even after I have already posted it on Bricktown's page. Deep Deuce is east northeast of downtown, in this pic. Bricktown is directly east of d'town.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived